223522 Bullies, 4251 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 22
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    8,030

    Posted On:
    4/02/2013 10:05pm

    supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no memory of the last 24 hours, all I know is I looked a picture of Helio next thing I knew I was about to sign a contract at a local Tiger Schulmann's.

    I'm pretty sure they wanted me to sign it in my own blood.

    Luckily a small Asian kid in a ball cap ran by and pushed a burning torch into my abdomen and the pain woke me from my Gracie-induced fever dream.
  2. dgold44 is offline
    dgold44's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    29

    Posted On:
    4/03/2013 12:59am


     Style: Krav Maga/ Muay thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes good analogy to early micro life in evolution.

    However, BJJ can still be just the Guard and SM and MT. Most of the fundamental classes only do these 3 positions.

    Even one of the Gracies said that 90 percent of BJJ is useless for self-defense. And most of it is for competition.

    However, the 10 percent that does work for the self-defense is worth more than gold.
  3. ChuckWepner is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago / Michigan
    Posts
    391

    Posted On:
    4/03/2013 1:35am


     

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgold44 View Post
    Yes good analogy to early micro life in evolution.

    However, BJJ can still be just the Guard and SM and MT. Most of the fundamental classes only do these 3 positions.

    Even one of the Gracies said that 90 percent of BJJ is useless for self-defense. And most of it is for competition.

    However, the 10 percent that does work for the self-defense is worth more than gold.
    You seem to have missed the small, subtle hints that the rest of us saw in Crappler's post (such as his claim that Helio Gracie spent ten years shrimping in his "dojo" -- see any clues?), so I am taking the liberty of making things slightly more explicit. You can plug this back into Crappler's post and then think again about how to reply.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crappler
    WARNING: SARCASM!
    The author of this post will be using irony and hyperbole to mock the claim in the post to which he is replying. Caution! Clueless agreement with obviously exaggerated, ironic claims will make those agreeing look extra dim-witted.


    dgold44 -- THIS IS FOR YOU!
  4. Bezmond is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Tianjin, China
    Posts
    397

    Posted On:
    4/03/2013 1:48am


     Style: Taijiquan, Karate

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I have no memory of the last 24 hours, all I know is I looked a picture of Helio next thing I knew I was about to sign a contract at a local Tiger Schulmann's.

    I'm pretty sure they wanted me to sign it in my own blood.

    Luckily a small Asian kid in a ball cap ran by and pushed a burning torch into my abdomen and the pain woke me from my Gracie-induced fever dream.
    You listen to short round Rabbit! You live longer!
  5. ChuckWepner is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago / Michigan
    Posts
    391

    Posted On:
    4/03/2013 1:50am


     

    10
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgold44 View Post
    It seems the complexity of BJJ has grown so rapidly the last 15 yrs or so.

    I remember when it was just guard, Side Mount and Mount.

    Now it seems they have dozens of guard positions. And each positions has a massive set of counters, sweeps and submissions.

    I think learning the core stuff like Guard, SM and MT is very important and I plan on doing this next year .
    It's great that without having studied BJJ you are able to announce to a site that has many active members with high-level belts, including several instructors, that as of 15 years ago BJJ was just "guard, Side Mount, and Mount."

    I remember similarly that as of the time I was given my first chemistry set when I was a young boy, there were only about a dozen chemicals in the world. Sulfur was one, I remember. And Sodium Bicarbonate. Tartaric acid and so on. But now, there are just so many chemicals!
  6. jnp is offline
    jnp's Avatar

    Titanium laced beauty

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,225

    Posted On:
    4/03/2013 9:16am

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgold44 View Post
    It seems the complexity of BJJ has grown so rapidly the last 15 yrs or so.

    I remember when it was just guard, Side Mount and Mount.
    I started training BJJ in 1999. At that time, there was more to the sport than the three positions you mentioned.

    I can show you a photo from a book published in the 1950's that features the gogoplata.

    Please stop speaking from a position of ignorance. You're not doing yourself any favors by doing so.

    Edit: It is true that the sport has grown in popularity. Given that humans have been grappling for thousands of years, I'm always hesitant to call any technique "new" however.
  7. Bezmond is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Tianjin, China
    Posts
    397

    Posted On:
    4/03/2013 11:14am


     Style: Taijiquan, Karate

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post
    It's great that without having studied BJJ you are able to announce to a site that has many active members with high-level belts, including several instructors, that as of 15 years ago BJJ was just "guard, Side Mount, and Mount."

    I remember similarly that as of the time I was given my first chemistry set when I was a young boy, there were only about a dozen chemicals in the world. Sulfur was one, I remember. And Sodium Bicarbonate. Tartaric acid and so on. But now, there are just so many chemicals!
    I remember when I first started fighting. It was all about the headlock. Then some kids saw "every which way but loose" and started swinging haymakers at each other. One evening some judoka were on kids TV and next day everyone was trying to do some sort of weird sweep.

    Its a goddam arms race, Chuck. If you don't get up to date on them new chemicals, the North Koreans will.
  8. bombom is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central Maine
    Posts
    276

    Posted On:
    4/03/2013 11:27am


     Style: Getting less fat

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgold44 View Post
    Yes good analogy to early micro life in evolution.

    However, BJJ can still be just the Guard and SM and MT. Most of the fundamental classes only do these 3 positions.

    Even one of the Gracies said that 90 percent of BJJ is useless for self-defense. And most of it is for competition.

    However, the 10 percent that does work for the self-defense is worth more than gold.
    Shut the **** up
  9. Bezmond is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Tianjin, China
    Posts
    397

    Posted On:
    4/03/2013 12:42pm


     Style: Taijiquan, Karate

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bombom View Post
    Shut the **** up
    Pithy...
  10. Permalost is online now
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,512

    Posted On:
    4/03/2013 12:52pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    4
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I first started rasslin', it was all about the double leg, Boston crab, and sleeper hold. Then we watched more WWF and we started to try to do crossfaces, suplexes, and lariats. Then one of our friends got a big trampoline and we injured each other off the top rope.

    My point is, I think I knew more about grappling at the time than dgold.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.