Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 10:05pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no memory of the last 24 hours, all I know is I looked a picture of Helio next thing I knew I was about to sign a contract at a local Tiger Schulmann's.

I'm pretty sure they wanted me to sign it in my own blood.

Luckily a small Asian kid in a ball cap ran by and pushed a burning torch into my abdomen and the pain woke me from my Gracie-induced fever dream.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 12:59am

Style: Krav Maga/ Muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes good analogy to early micro life in evolution.

However, BJJ can still be just the Guard and SM and MT. Most of the fundamental classes only do these 3 positions.

Even one of the Gracies said that 90 percent of BJJ is useless for self-defense. And most of it is for competition.

However, the 10 percent that does work for the self-defense is worth more than gold.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 1:35am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgold44 View Post

However, BJJ can still be just the Guard and SM and MT. Most of the fundamental classes only do these 3 positions.

Even one of the Gracies said that 90 percent of BJJ is useless for self-defense. And most of it is for competition.

However, the 10 percent that does work for the self-defense is worth more than gold.
    You seem to have missed the small, subtle hints that the rest of us saw in Crappler's post (such as his claim that Helio Gracie spent ten years shrimping in his "dojo" -- see any clues?), so I am taking the liberty of making things slightly more explicit. You can plug this back into Crappler's post and then think again about how to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler
    WARNING: SARCASM!
    The author of this post will be using irony and hyperbole to mock the claim in the post to which he is replying. Caution! Clueless agreement with obviously exaggerated, ironic claims will make those agreeing look extra dim-witted.

dgold44 -- THIS IS FOR YOU!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 1:48am

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I have no memory of the last 24 hours, all I know is I looked a picture of Helio next thing I knew I was about to sign a contract at a local Tiger Schulmann's.

I'm pretty sure they wanted me to sign it in my own blood.

Luckily a small Asian kid in a ball cap ran by and pushed a burning torch into my abdomen and the pain woke me from my Gracie-induced fever dream.
    You listen to short round Rabbit! You live longer!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 1:50am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems the complexity of BJJ has grown so rapidly the last 15 yrs or so.

I remember when it was just guard, Side Mount and Mount.

Now it seems they have dozens of guard positions. And each positions has a massive set of counters, sweeps and submissions.

I think learning the core stuff like Guard, SM and MT is very important and I plan on doing this next year .
    It's great that without having studied BJJ you are able to announce to a site that has many active members with high-level belts, including several instructors, that as of 15 years ago BJJ was just "guard, Side Mount, and Mount."

I remember similarly that as of the time I was given my first chemistry set when I was a young boy, there were only about a dozen chemicals in the world. Sulfur was one, I remember. And Sodium Bicarbonate. Tartaric acid and so on. But now, there are just so many chemicals!

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 9:16am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems the complexity of BJJ has grown so rapidly the last 15 yrs or so.

I remember when it was just guard, Side Mount and Mount.
    I started training BJJ in 1999. At that time, there was more to the sport than the three positions you mentioned.

I can show you a photo from a book published in the 1950's that features the gogoplata.

Please stop speaking from a position of ignorance. You're not doing yourself any favors by doing so.

Edit: It is true that the sport has grown in popularity. Given that humans have been grappling for thousands of years, I'm always hesitant to call any technique "new" however.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 11:14am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWepner View Post
    It's great that without having studied BJJ you are able to announce to a site that has many active members with high-level belts, including several instructors, that as of 15 years ago BJJ was just "guard, Side Mount, and Mount."

I remember similarly that as of the time I was given my first chemistry set when I was a young boy, there were only about a dozen chemicals in the world. Sulfur was one, I remember. And Sodium Bicarbonate. Tartaric acid and so on. But now, there are just so many chemicals!
    I remember when I first started fighting. It was all about the headlock. Then some kids saw "every which way but loose" and started swinging haymakers at each other. One evening some judoka were on kids TV and next day everyone was trying to do some sort of weird sweep.

Its a goddam arms race, Chuck. If you don't get up to date on them new chemicals, the North Koreans will.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 11:27am

Style: Getting less fat

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shut the **** up

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 12:42pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bombom View Post
    Shut the **** up
    Pithy...

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 12:52pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I first started rasslin', it was all about the double leg, Boston crab, and sleeper hold. Then we watched more WWF and we started to try to do crossfaces, suplexes, and lariats. Then one of our friends got a big trampoline and we injured each other off the top rope.

My point is, I think I knew more about grappling at the time than dgold.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast