Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 2:10am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone has given great advice so far, but I would actually advise you to avoid Krav Maga entirely. Yes, there are good places out there. But until you've familiarized yourself enough with concepts of aliveness and been around long enough to get an eye for that sort of stuff, it'd be easy to get sucked in by a shitty Krav school (or any shitty type of school, but most of the rest of the styles listed are pretty consistent in quality).

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 2:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The most important thing to look for it is taught in an alive manner

Here is a comprehensive video about what we mean by aliveness

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 2:22am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The 'stay off the ground' advice bothers me. BJJ and a lot of arts will teach you to put the other guy on the ground and give skills to deal with being down. There looks like a lot of schools in Perth.

AFTER you read the sticky in N00bieville about finding a good school go check several out. But do read it - watch out for egomaniacs, chip on shoulder types and crazies. Find a friendly bunch who don't hurt n00bs.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 3:57am

Style: Out of Practice

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you do try Krav Maga, do your best to avoid any of the US Krav organizations. A lot of the Krav Maga to be learned out there can be bad, but it is more consistently bad in the groups based in the US. Also do your best to get a feeling for how much this sort of stuff should cost per month; lots of instructors out there from virtually every art that really only want all of your money.

Quote Originally Posted by karma2343 View Post
    Everyone has given great advice so far, but I would actually advise you to avoid Krav Maga entirely. Yes, there are good places out there. But until you've familiarized yourself enough with concepts of aliveness and been around long enough to get an eye for that sort of stuff, it'd be easy to get sucked in by a shitty Krav school (or any shitty type of school, but most of the rest of the styles listed are pretty consistent in quality).
    Karma pretty much said what I was trying to say in my first post, but he said it much better.

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 4:15am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by K876 View Post
    I just want to learn how to defend myself in a realistic situation (e.g against multiple opponents, tight spaces, weapons). I have no previous MA experience.

I live in Perth, Western Australia - are there any decent clubs here?

Thanks very much!
    Tongue-in-cheek, you're in Perth. Ask your local Army unit ;-)

Someone teaches them Unarmed Combat....:-)

Weapons and tight spaces? Who better to ask?

Best Wishes

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 12:12pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    The 'stay off the ground' advice bothers me. BJJ and a lot of arts will teach you to put the other guy on the ground and give skills to deal with being down. There looks like a lot of schools in Perth.

AFTER you read the sticky in N00bieville about finding a good school go check several out. But do read it - watch out for egomaniacs, chip on shoulder types and crazies. Find a friendly bunch who don't hurt n00bs.
    This is the truth BJJ has always been taught to me how to get out of a bad position. In general the idea is to be the top guy if you are on the ground. Yes we have an effective guard position and hey if you can end the fight from their quickly it is far from a bad thing.

Also why is it always multiple attackers bullshit all the time. Do all of these people go to the bar alone to drink away their sorrows?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 1:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not always multiple attackers. . . Sometimes it's piles of used needles and broken glass! Also, being on the ground means you have to stand up before you can run away.

(Definitely not reasons to discount effective grappling training, just that it shouldn't be the only self-defense a person gets.)
    Last edited by Eudemic; 4/01/2013 1:57pm at .

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 1:49pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    It's not always multiple attackers. . . Sometimes it's piles of used needles and broken glass! Also, being on the ground means you have to stand up before you can run away.

(Definitely reasons to discount effective grappling training, just that it shouldn't be the only self-defense a person gets.)
    All I know is being on the ground underneath someone that has tackled me makes running away very difficult.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 1:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's funny how forgetting to put the 'not' in 'definitely not' can completely change the meaning of whatever crap I'm spewing. . .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 3:28pm

Style: Getting less fat

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgold44 View Post
    The worse place to ever be in a street fight is on the ground. You never know if the attacker has friends who can stomp on your face. Plus you have to deal with sharp objects and other hazards.
    You never want to be on the ground . However, this can be impossible to avoid so it would be good to learn some BJJ.
    However, I think you should pick a primary system that is more stand up. Check out Krav Maga it teaches tons of street self defense such as attacks from Bear hugs, chokes, wrist grabs, hair grabs yes lol, and other types of head locks. KRav maga will not work well in the ring but for the street it can be effective.

MMA will give you the most precise strikes and make you the toughest but Krav address many other things like weapons too.
    Go **** yourself to death with a dead rat. If it won't work well in the ring it won't work well on the street either. Fuckface.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast