Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 4:26pm

Style: Judo noob, heavy bag

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Knees are even more mobile in combat than the groin.
    Also, knees are a LOT harder to break with a kick than martial LARPists think it is (something they would know if they trained with more aliveness).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 4:47pm

Style: sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know I've changed my mind. The knife attack in the video was totally unrealistic. If the guy being attacked with the knife was trained in a proper martial art it would have gone down differently. Here is how I picture it:

Time would have slowed down for him as his steely gaze recognized the weapon. His animal senses would have kicked in realizing the approaching danger. Years of combat training would have kicked in and immediately, he would have backflipped to the side while throwing his coat to blind the attacker. Then, in mid air, he would have unzipped his pants and grabbed his belt to use as a weapon. With catlike grace he would have landed in crane stance, lead leg read to kick the assailant in the nuts, and threw the belt with a sudden snap wrapping it around a nearby church steeple. Then, assuming bear stance, he would give it a mighty yank causing the steeple to collapse and crush the stunned opponent as he struggled to remove the pesky coat stuck to his forehead.
    Victorious, the hero would reclaim his coat and walk away without a scratch , preferably into the quickly enclosing fog.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 5:10pm

Style: Satanist and BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theAsthmatic View Post
    You know I've changed my mind. The knife attack in the video was totally unrealistic. If the guy being attacked with the knife was trained in a proper martial art it would have gone down differently. Here is how I picture it:

Time would have slowed down for him as his steely gaze recognized the weapon. His animal senses would have kicked in realizing the approaching danger. Years of combat training would have kicked in and immediately, he would have backflipped to the side while throwing his coat to blind the attacker. Then, in mid air, he would have unzipped his pants and grabbed his belt to use as a weapon. With catlike grace he would have landed in crane stance, lead leg read to kick the assailant in the nuts, and threw the belt with a sudden snap wrapping it around a nearby church steeple. Then, assuming bear stance, he would give it a mighty yank causing the steeple to collapse and crush the stunned opponent as he struggled to remove the pesky coat stuck to his forehead.
    Victorious, the hero would reclaim his coat and walk away without a scratch , preferably into the quickly enclosing fog.
    Haha, yeah that'd do it... well pick an outcome to train for - red pill or blue pill:

seriously tho, situational awareness and planning are king - stay miles away from danger not metres whenever possible

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 6:05am

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by karma2343 View Post
    Also, knees are a LOT harder to break with a kick than martial LARPists think it is (something they would know if they trained with more aliveness).
    Having had my knee snapped sideways in a rugby game I can vouch for this.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2013 4:12am

Style: Satanist and BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    Having had my knee snapped sideways in a rugby game I can vouch for this.
    Ooh nasty, hope it healed up strong. Seen a few knees go in football, rugby and MA. Sometimes it was due to a cruncher but on one my friend just turned awkwardly and his fooking leg pretty much snapped in half. Generally if someone is walking/running towards you u can bar the front leg out effectively if u kick just below the knee as its planted but before all the weight is transferred onto it. To early and the foot can compensate too late and there will be too much weight on it to have much effect.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2013 7:46am

Style: Karate, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP to sum up, do the exact opposite of whatever dgold44 said. Enjoy Judo, you will quickly learn more about fighting than dgold44 will ever know.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213