Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ron Browning - Trainers Elite - opinions / information

I am looking for a dojo to further my martial arts training and have been having a hard time find a school that is defense oriented vs. sport fighting. I want to learn practical and effective self defense. I live in Madison WI and found this gym.

trainerselite.net

It looks like a nice facility and Grandmaster Browning;s credentials are impressive, but I have a few concerns. He has a lot of hall of fame type credits and I really could not find much about him in a search. He used to have gyms in CA and TX. Why the relocations?

I have a few concerns: The staff seems to be basically lower level students that help out, his classes are only an hour. Expensive. I have heard a several hundred dollar downpayment /initiation that includes gear, and a year contract at $125 or more a month. No open gym.

Yuppified McDojo or excellent instructor? Anyone have any experiences or insight?

Thanks.

Frank

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't we already have a frank white?
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl View Post
    Don't we already have a frank white?
    I signed up, put in the name my parent's gave me, and my account was OK'd. If there is another FrankWhite, I would be happy to change my name to therealFrankWhite or FrankWhite2. By the way, any input on my post?

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankWhite View Post

It looks like a nice facility and Grandmaster Browning;s credentials are impressive, but I have a few concerns. He has a lot of hall of fame type credits and I really could not find much about him in a search. He used to have gyms in CA and TX. Why the relocations?
    Could be business wasn't doing so good or the overhead was too much. Could be he wanted to change areas, it's probably not a big deal

I have a few concerns: The staff seems to be basically lower level students that help out,
    That's pretty normal

his classes are only an hour.
    Again normal.

Expensive. I have heard a several hundred dollar downpayment /initiation that includes gear, and a year contract at $125 or more a month. No open gym.
    If I can ask where you got the info from? I couldn't find any price listing on the website. How much do they actually charge for gear, down payment and what does the contract look like? Is it a year but you can cancel with 30 days notice or are you obligated to pay for the entire thing?

$125 is actually not super expensive (at least in CA), and you do have to consider they have a nicely equipped facility.

I think your best bet is to go give them a call and ask questions and get more of a scoop

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    Could be business wasn't doing so good or the overhead was too much. Could be he wanted to change areas, it's probably not a big deal

That's pretty normal

Again normal.

If I can ask where you got the info from? I couldn't find any price listing on the website. How much do they actually charge for gear, down payment and what does the contract look like? Is it a year but you can cancel with 30 days notice or are you obligated to pay for the entire thing?

$125 is actually not super expensive (at least in CA), and you do have to consider they have a nicely equipped facility.

I think your best bet is to go give them a call and ask questions and get more of a scoop
    OK. I got my information from someone that went there to visit but didn't join. THe emphasis of my post is not really the cost structure as much as the expertise of the grandmaster, quality of his training, and the training itself. I can figure out the costs aspect on my own, but it is considerably higher than other local dojos, and the initiation fee (I think it is $400 -500) seems a bit off high.

I think anything less than an hour and half class is inefficient. I have never been in involved in a martial art that had 1 hour classes unless it had an open gym policy where you can come early or stay after. One hour in and out is too short in my opinion.

Does anyone have information or any experience with Grandmaster Ron Browning or Trainerselite? Thanks.

Frank
    Last edited by FrankWhite; 2/18/2009 3:33pm at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His 10th dan seems self-appointed, no BJJ ranking and yet they teach it, I dunno.

Seems to good and expensive to be true.....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quite a few hits googling

Ron Van Browning

...apparently he taught Chuck Norris San Soo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, they claim to have the CrossFit Kids, too. Except that they don't. I've let the good folks at CrossFit become aware of this. The fitness industry is just as full of **** as the martial arts.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is actually not too far from where I live. I should go check it out. I went and looked at their youtube videos and it shows the instructors testing for their belts. Is it just me or are the "instructors" less than impressive in both technique and fitness?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you look at one of the early UFCs--it may have been 3, 4, or 5--you see Ron Van Browning accompanying Guy Mezger to the ring. He helped train him. It was the first UFC that Mezger trained in. Van Browning also trqined people in Boxing and submission wrestling.
    Last edited by martarty; 3/04/2009 3:24am at .

Page 1 of 2 12 Last