Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2013 8:35pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Alexey Kunin's AJJIF starting Combat Jujitsu stuff.

So, you may remember from this thread: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=102816 that my Judo club is kind of linked to Alexey Kunin and the AJJIF. It seems he is getting together some pretty legit names to form some Jujitsu tournaments in the U.S. which have already been held in other countries.

Today we had a seminar about Combat Jujitsu style tournaments that will be becoming part of our Club's training goal. While I am still a little unconvinced about Kunin, he brought in some very notable names (Including the president of the USJA and one of the Urquidez brothers) and included a sambo club from across town in the training.

The rule set looks similar to combat sambo minus head butts and knee strikes. Basically, slightly more restricted MMA, And, there is supposed to be a tournament coming in December or so in the L.A. area.

While I will probably not compete (I am busy as **** and have only bad TKD striking) I figured it would be a good thing to clue any of the West Coast guys into if they are looking for an opportunity to compete. I imagine any Sambo or MMA guys would do well.

I'm pumped about the change at my Club since many of the guys who train there also do some MMA and no gi, and to get a wider range of training would be awesome.

Here is the website for the AJJIF, the ruleset is under "JuJitsu Rules" I believe. Not sure what the sign up process is or anything, but if you are at all interested, I can find out.

http://www.ajjif.org/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2013 9:58pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting! Thanks for the info.

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    3/30/2013 11:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The sportsmen fight up to the first technical action (strike or throw).
    From http://www.ajjif.org/ju-jitsu_rules/english

Can you clarify this rule? The fight stops once one fighter lands a strike on the other?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2013 12:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The way it was described to us today was that action runs pretty well identical to Combat Sambo or MMA:

Step up and bow (a nod to traditional Japanese whatever)
    Hajime to start
    Kick, punch, or grapple until someone is submitted, pinned, knocked out, or time runs out.

They said everything is full force and full contact, no point sparring shite.
    A lot of effort went into showing how much it was like Combat Sambo rules (but with more limitations on strikes).

The rules on the site are, unfortunately, very unclear when I read them before going to the seminar today.

Posted On:
    3/31/2013 5:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, I know the Mauritius instructor. 8th Dan now, eh? I was in Mauritius when he was awarded his 6th Dan...he wanted to be awarded 8th Dan. I thought his skillset was about 5th Dan borderline 6th Dan although he is good. The emphasis was more on pain than skill - which is the mark of the 6th Dan in my opinion.

Don't lend him any money.

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    3/31/2013 7:46am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Krijgsman. I'm guessing a technical strike action is a strike resulting in a knockdown then.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2013 12:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cap View Post
    Thanks Krijgsman. I'm guessing a technical strike action is a strike resulting in a knockdown then.
    That was the impression I got as well. My other concern was head strikes 'to the headgear.' Does that mean not the the uncovered portion of the face? I'd heard something similar before with combat jujitsu. Kind of sad if true.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2013 1:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    That was the impression I got as well. My other concern was head strikes 'to the headgear.' Does that mean not the the uncovered portion of the face? I'd heard something similar before with combat jujitsu. Kind of sad if true.
    Headgear is optional for competitors over 18, so I can't imagine they would be too picky about where you are striking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2013 9:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great. Thanks for the info.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2013 9:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, I was at the practice for the first time since we expanded out of just Judo. Besides the insistence on a little more ceremony than I like, and a bit long of a warmup for my taste it was, actually, not stupid.

We worked striking with basic jab-cross-uppercut-overhand to practice our footwork and then drilled low-kick technique on a kicking shield. Seems like Kunin is mostly Kyokushin inspired with his kicking. We'll be increasing to full contact over the next month or so.

Then we did basic clinch/pummeling drills. Then standing submissions and take downs. Then mat work. I got to work some with a local MMA pro fighter (Jaime something) who made me feel quite foolish on the ground.

All in all, I am pretty pumped for the new format, since I started Judo in part because MMA was way too spendy and I wanted to learn both take downs and ground work/submissions. Man did I sweat a lot. Kinda wish they would say "**** the gi" for at least some of the class. Because I am a whiny bitch when I got too hot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast