Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 8:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post

You're just going to whip up some barrels from some $10K machine from Ebay......good luck with that. I can tell you right now they're going to be slam full of chatter marks and your bores are going to be shaped like a banana having a three-way with a corkscrew and a candy cane.
    Not just a 10k Machine you also need a good reaming machine and a decent lathe. However my point being made is you can get button rifling machines for less than 5 million. You can also get Cold Forge Hammering machines for less as well they will set you back a good chunk of change but not 5 mill a pop.

Making rifle barrels is fucking hard. The best barrel makers on the planet are turning out barrels with .020" or more bore runout over 2 feet. And those are the best of the best. .050" or more is common from big name barrel makers. AND those guys are doing it with multi million dollar machines and decades of experience.
    Those are tolerances that are laughed at in aerospace industry.

If they can't drill a fucking straight hole with their equipment (and they can't) what do you think you're going to turn out with some **** Billy Bob made out of a Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine?
    Well seeing how I was saying you can do it with a 1 million dollar EBM Machine we are not talking about silly **** made by Joe Bob tool and dye.

Think about something here. There are some highly skilled and highly talented custom gunmakers out there. Some of these guys have fully automated machine shops that would make we mere mortals drool. They're on the cutting ege of gun technology. Yet, almost none of them make their own barrels. Why do you think that might be? Because they're dumb and unskilled? Um, no.
    No doubt. Not calling them dumb however that being said I have worked with plenty of manufacturing and mechanical engineers on tooling projects. Most of them are really set in their ways and tend to not look outside of their particular specialty for other options.

I don't care if you've got an EBM machine
    See this is because you have no freaking clue what it is. There are only about 18 of them out in industry right now. All of which are owned by Aerospace and Medical implant companies.
    It is an expensive machine, it is not a machine meant for high volume production.
    Since it would meet the production needs of a Drug Cartel I included it in this discussion. It is capable of making barrel just fine.

If I'm wrong, then why aren't you a millionaire? The last time I checked the wait for a Krieger barrel was about 7 months. They have a huge backlog. Since you can make anything you want and do it for pennies, there are plenty of customers waiting to buy your ****. I'll be the first in line.
    The EBM machine is a good example. Now its still not cheap. Hey if you want to fund me 1 million to get one we can go into business making barrels together. As of right now you would be limited to a 14 inch barrel but its you can make it out of materials such as Titanium (since you don't have work hardening issues with an EBM) other barrel manufacturers can only dream of and at aerospace levels of tolerance. I would have to have some sit down and bang out some numbers to tell you how many barrels a day you could bang out in a day. To accurately do that I would need a good cad model.

At any rate I think we both can agree on the fact that if the Drug cartels had their supply of weapons cut off via even the most successful gun legislation (ha ha). They are more than capable of going into production for themselves without much issue.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 8:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Not just a 10k Machine you also need a good reaming machine and a decent lathe. However my point being made is you can get button rifling machines for less than 5 million. You can also get Cold Forge Hammering machines for less as well they will set you back a good chunk of change but not 5 mill a pop.

Those are tolerances that are laughed at in aerospace industry.

Well seeing how I was saying you can do it with a 1 million dollar EBM Machine we are not talking about silly **** made by Joe Bob tool and dye.

No doubt. Not calling them dumb however that being said I have worked with plenty of manufacturing and mechanical engineers on tooling projects. Most of them are really set in their ways and tend to not look outside of their particular specialty for other options.

See this is because you have no freaking clue what it is. There are only about 18 of them out in industry right now. All of which are owned by Aerospace and Medical implant companies.
    It is an expensive machine, it is not a machine meant for high volume production.
    Since it would meet the production needs of a Drug Cartel I included it in this discussion. It is capable of making barrel just fine.

The EBM machine is a good example. Now its still not cheap. Hey if you want to fund me 1 million to get one we can go into business making barrels together. As of right now you would be limited to a 14 inch barrel but its you can make it out of materials such as Titanium (since you don't have work hardening issues with an EBM) other barrel manufacturers can only dream of and at aerospace levels of tolerance. I would have to have some sit down and bang out some numbers to tell you how many barrels a day you could bang out in a day. To accurately do that I would need a good cad model.

At any rate I think we both can agree on the fact that if the Drug cartels had their supply of weapons cut off via even the most successful gun legislation (ha ha). They are more than capable of going into production for themselves without much issue.

So, to summarize - you can build barrels in your imagination or if Bill Gates decides to be your benefactor. Got it. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 8:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, to summarize - you can build barrels in your imagination or if Bill Gates decides to be your benefactor. Got it. Thanks for setting the record straight.
    I said I can build one hell of a machine shop with a 5 mill budget and I stand by that

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 8:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I said I can build one hell of a machine shop with a 5 mill budget and I stand by that
    No, if you had said that I would have agreed with you.

What you said was "You give me 5 Mil budget and I will build you a machine shop that has equivocal production capabilities of Magpul, Noveske, Rock River put together."
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123