Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 2:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Barrels are the hard part. Still, the druglords should have no problem forking over $5 million or so for the proper equipment. That's chump change for them.
    You give me 5 Mil budget and I will build you a machine shop that has equivocal production capabilities of Magpul, Noveske, Rock River put together.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 2:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    You give me 5 Mil budget and I will build you a machine shop that has equivocal production capabilities of Magpul, Noveske, Rock River put together.
    Or you can have one barrel drill instead. I didn't just **** that number. I know one of the big barrel manufacturers just spent $5 mil on one machine.

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 2:35pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or you can have one barrel drill instead. I didn't just **** that number. I know one of the big barrel manufacturers just spent $5 mil on one machine.
    If you are willing to go with Button Barrels it will not cost you nearly that much. Some guy was selling his used L.R.B button machine for $10k. Although that was with a 8:1 twist ratio and a 10:1 twist. I am sure you could pick up other twist ratio tubes for it.

You can make barrel blanks and do contouring with any lathe that is big enough. Then rifle it with a Button Machine.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 2:40pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are willing to go with Button Barrels it will not cost you nearly that much. Some guy was selling his used L.R.B button machine for $10k. Although that was with a 8:1 twist ratio and a 10:1 twist. I am sure you could pick up other twist ratio tubes for it.

You can make barrel blanks and do contouring with any lathe that is big enough. Then rifle it with a Button Machine.
    I thought we were talking about mass production for cartel use. WTF? Now you want the cartel to do **** half assed??? For shame! It's people like you that make drug dealers choose Chinese **** over American.

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 2:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell for One mill I could 3D print you metal barrels using the EBM machine, heck with that I could make you long lasting lightweight titanium barrels.

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 2:45pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People tend to be overconfident when it comes to the **** they can "just build" as if it were nothing. I've discovered with many things in life if a sentence begins with, "Heck, I'll just do..." then somebody's probably full of ****.

Like a karate kid saying, "Heck, if somebody tried to take me down I'd just knee them in the face." Uh huh.

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 3:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People tend to be overconfident when it comes to the **** they can "just build" as if it were nothing. I've discovered with many things in life if a sentence begins with, "Heck, I'll just do..." then somebody's probably full of ****.

Like a karate kid saying, "Heck, if somebody tried to take me down I'd just knee them in the face." Uh huh.
    I do agree.
    However this is my wheel house.
    I have dones plenty of CAD/CAM consulting.

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 3:18pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do agree.
    However this is my wheel house.
    I have dones plenty of CAD/CAM consulting.
    Awesome. But that doesn't make you a gun builder. Know your limitations. Until you have built and tested barrel number one, it's just talk.

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 4:16pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome. But that doesn't make you a gun builder. Know your limitations. Until you have built and tested barrel number one, it's just talk.
    Except it is educated talk.

With an EBM Machine I can make any part for anything with the following criteria.

-I have a good CAD Model
    -If the tolerances of +/- .13mm is acceptable
    -It will fit in the build tank
    -Can be made out of one of these materials Titanium aluminide
    Inconel (625 & 718)
    Stainless steel (e.g. 17-4)
    Tool steel (e.g. H13)
    Aluminium (e.g. 6061)
    Hard metals (e.g. NiWC)
    Copper (e.g. GRCop-84)
    Beryllium (e.g. AlBeMet)
    Amorphous metals
    Niobium
    Invar

Anything made from the right model held to the right tolerances made out of the right material is going to work period.

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 7:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Except it is educated talk.

With an EBM Machine I can make any part for anything with the following criteria.

-I have a good CAD Model
    -If the tolerances of +/- .13mm is acceptable
    -It will fit in the build tank
    -Can be made out of one of these materials Titanium aluminide
    Inconel (625 & 718)
    Stainless steel (e.g. 17-4)
    Tool steel (e.g. H13)
    Aluminium (e.g. 6061)
    Hard metals (e.g. NiWC)
    Copper (e.g. GRCop-84)
    Beryllium (e.g. AlBeMet)
    Amorphous metals
    Niobium
    Invar

Anything made from the right model held to the right tolerances made out of the right material is going to work period.

I don't doubt your experience but you're oversimplifying barrel making to the point of comedy.

You're just going to whip up some barrels from some $10K machine from Ebay......good luck with that. I can tell you right now they're going to be slam full of chatter marks and your bores are going to be shaped like a banana having a three-way with a corkscrew and a candy cane.

Making rifle barrels is fucking hard. The best barrel makers on the planet are turning out barrels with .020" or more bore runout over 2 feet. And those are the best of the best. .050" or more is common from big name barrel makers. AND those guys are doing it with multi million dollar machines and decades of experience.

If they can't drill a fucking straight hole with their equipment (and they can't) what do you think you're going to turn out with some **** Billy Bob made out of a Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine?

Think about something here. There are some highly skilled and highly talented custom gunmakers out there. Some of these guys have fully automated machine shops that would make we mere mortals drool. They're on the cutting ege of gun technology. Yet, almost none of them make their own barrels. Why do you think that might be? Because they're dumb and unskilled? Um, no.

I don't care if you've got an EBM machine, or a space shuttle, or a magic wand. You're not going to do a damn thing with a barrel that hasn't already been (A) done successfully or (B) eliminated as an option. There are people with a lot more money than you and me thinking about this **** already and they have been for a long, long time.

Now, is it impossible to make barrels? No, it isn't. You can make something that is a rifled barrel in the technical sense of the word. But it's going to be **** unless you have stacks of cash to throw at it. If you say otherwise, I'm calling bullshit.

If I'm wrong, then why aren't you a millionaire? The last time I checked the wait for a Krieger barrel was about 7 months. They have a huge backlog. Since you can make anything you want and do it for pennies, there are plenty of customers waiting to buy your ****. I'll be the first in line.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast