Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 9:44am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now, this is MABS, so lets take a look at the process here. This is the academy registration form:

http://www.ibjjf.org/Imagens/Academy...tion_IBJJF.pdf

Notice the paragraph at the bottom? Its a contract. Also, if neither you nor your academy are registered, you can't register your academy. So you'd have to register yourself first UNDER A DIFFERENT SCHOOL OR SIGN THE ACADEMY OVER TO SOMEONE ELSE.

This is the first form:

http://extranet.ibjjfdb.com/System/F...?FederacaoId=2

So you'd sign up under someone else and THEN you can sign your school up. Only thing is, you now work for whomever you signed up under. Well done, you just signed your academy away. You can then move forward and register your academy under yourself, but you just signed yourself up under a different school.

Its a con job designed to strip you of your autonomy, rights and money. And as I said, Carlos will fix that for $2000-$4000 dollars.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 10:01am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now, some of you may be wondering how I lost my belt in this mess. I was minding my own business at brown. I made the mistake of going to NAGA and the results can only be described as a slaughter. The brown belt in the expert division refused to fight, instead invoking our loose alliance with BTT. I politely went with it and stepped out, taking a third place medal. The brown/black belt divsion was next. So I fought a second degree black belt and annihilated him. He literally went running away crying (I don't think he's gonna sign anything) while the brown said I should ask for my black, bowing out yet again. I went back to the gym and when my instructor (basically a coworker) saw the NAGA belt, he immediately stated that he couldn't promote. I didn't ask him to and never said a thing about it. I was approached by management about the issue and told to speak with him. I did and in exchange for my belt, I was to teach a couple classes for BTT. Problem was that drop down menu/registration forms doesn't allow the instructor/academy relationship that is in place. I'd basically be signing my job away. So my instructor sits down with Carlos Gracie Jr to resolve the issue, at which point the man offered to fix it for FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS. My instructor needed his paperwork fixed as well to grant him co-leadership. He pointed out that he already had his black belt, so Carlos knocked the price down to 2k. So basically, no one is even allowed to promote me unless we cough up $2000 or hand the academy/my job over to a third party. We're an independent school, so that's not gonna happen, leaving my rank frozen. The belts should not, in ANY WAY, be tied to business relationships. That's corrupt and why you have so many incidents like the Schilling/Osman debacle.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 10:38am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's ridiculous. It's like he created a high end Mcdojo. You get good skill, but get caught up cheating, sandbagging, paying out the ass and buying belts.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 11:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Having major competitions at lower ranks shows entire schools where the holes in their syllabus are. As BJJ is an evolving art, I would say this type of competition is vital.
    It also has the added benefit of making more money for the tournament promoters.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 11:37am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its a bit worse than that. Aside from conning people out of thousands, wiping entire lineages out of the art, illegitimately stripping people of rank, selling rank, etc. They've also rigged the major tournaments. Take the Boston Open for example. The team I lead is one of the strongest in New England and I'm the New England NAGA Black Belt Champion.

http://nagafighter.com/index.php?mod...etailpage/284#

So you figure we're gonna be represented in the Boston Open, right? Wrong. My entire team is banned from competition. I had to sit on the sidelines and watch these guys come up to Boston, beat up on everyone and then jump in front of cameras talking about how they're the champions while my guys were all sidelined. To compete I'd have had to give my team to BTT, name and all, who then would've got credit for the victory. Disgraceful.

Mundials is rigged in the same way.

Take a look at the impact that this policy had on the Machados: http://www.jiujitsuforums.com/viewto...=160301#160301

Disgraceful.

This isn't a mcdojo. The IBJJF and Gracie Barra is a full blown business/martial arts scheme designed to take your money. Disgusting.
    Last edited by The Villain; 5/20/2013 11:45am at .

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 9:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IBJJF Instructor certs by mail order? http://books.google.com/books?id=Ndo...lveria&f=false

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/21/2013 8:07am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is run the way the mafia would run a martial art. What complete bullshit!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2014 5:25am

Style: Standup, Ground-fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    [...]Sandbagging, exorbitant costs, egotist running cult like environments, inane rule changes.

Things keep up like this and in 100 years BJJ will be just like every other BS art.
    Wait, wait: let's be clear. At some time in the future, perhaps not within a century but certainly within ten, "bjj" WILL be a bullshit art. So will whatever "MMA" refers to at that time. "Boxing" will eventually refer exclusively to a kind of push-hands, or board-breaking, or forms contest. "Muay Thai" will be a misspelled beverage.

The pressure to maintain or grow popularity, when compounded over the decades, seems inevitably to lead any "martial art" to add rules, either for safety or entertainment value, and in general to slowly move focus from aliveness and effectiveness to the ritualized larping of a certain fetishized martial technique or theory.

Paradoxically, we on Bullshido all know that even when "boxing" refers to a graded analysis of punching technique performed with musical accompaniment and choreographed dancing, there will still be people punching each other, bobbing and weaving, and training like boxers, because that's what works, so, no need to worry about it. This is only semantics.

Remember: after a few thousand years, "Greco-Roman Wrestling" refers to the style of wrestling least similar, out of almost all grappling styles, to ancient Greek and Roman wrestling, and yet that sport is considered comparatively true to its roots. Most don't fare so well...so don't get attached to the name.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345