Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 8:36am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spot on.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 8:40am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've moved this from YMAS to MABS to ensure quality of posting.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 9:32am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It may be of some use to include the IBJJF registration information for individuals and academies.

http://www.ibjjf.org/school.htm
    Looks like it's $50 for an academy to be registered, which lets students declare their affiliation and actually compete. Academy registrant must be a black belt. Registration appears to be one-time, with renewals required when changes in instructor(s) or physical location occur.

Juveniles, brown, and black belts must have their credentials in order, according to the current registration for NY Open - I'm assuming this is the same for all competitions.

http://www.ibjjf.org/ny2013home.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by IBJJF
    All Juvenile, brown and black belt athletes must be properly affiliated for the current year.
    All academies must be registered in order for its students to register in the competition.

All the documentation must be sent properly filled and signed as instructed on the e-mail received when soliciting your affiliation online. Juveniles, Brown and Black belts with pending and/or incorrect documentation won't be able to register for the tournament, as they need to have their request approved first.
    Individual registration is $35 USD initially, and $30 on renewals (change in belt, etc.):
    http://www.ibjjf.org/member.htm

Registration requires a passport-like photograph and a form signed by your affiliate instructor.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 10:48am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My IBJJF drama and how I dealt with it. (I didn't compete.)

Last year at Europeans I won both my weight class and the absolute. I had also won other competitions at the Brown/Black level (not enough of either so they are usually combined here) I got promoted to Black in April 2012. Sen tin request for offical Gracie Barra cert and to be entered in the database. Got entered in the database but cert didn't come until December. I register for Europeans 2013 to fight as a Black Belt even after providing all documentation and more (datasheet, link to GB website listing me as a BB, even my Offical Gracie Barra cert) they still didn't let me register. I had already bought the plane ticket and hand pay my friend for the hotel room so I was going to go regardless. I did think of just registering as a brown to compete, and after seeing many of the same names form last year I was pretty confident I would win again. I thought that would be dishonest becuase one a lot of my friends already knew I was BB by then and I wanted to avoid this very thing! (Oh the irony being on Bullshido all these years just to be the target of a MABS thread!) So I didn't compete. I did raise a small stink at the event and the at least let me in to the BB area close to the mats. (They have a guy checking against a database. Cool thing was talking to Andre Galvo and getting invited to Greece for scuba a BJJ!) After I returned form the event I get an email saying that my registration had been approved and I can now register for events.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 11:50pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh how I miss the days of two people getting together, shaking hands, and rolling until someone submits the other guy. Isn't the grappling more important then paying a ridiculous fee to an organization that's main concern is profit? Who cares if he isn't in your database; he has the belt, let him compete. When did grappling become such a bloated monster?

Sandbagging, exorbitant costs, egotist running cult like environments, inane rule changes.

Things keep up like this and in 100 years BJJ will be just like every other BS art.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 6:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    Oh how I miss the days of two people getting together, shaking hands, and rolling until someone submits the other guy. Isn't the grappling more important then paying a ridiculous fee to an organization that's main concern is profit? Who cares if he isn't in your database; he has the belt, let him compete. When did grappling become such a bloated monster?

Sandbagging, exorbitant costs, egotist running cult like environments, inane rule changes.

Things keep up like this and in 100 years BJJ will be just like every other BS art.
    That's the IBJJF for ya.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/19/2013 8:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is an interesting scenario. Basically, Carlos uses the system to make cash grabs of 2-4k. If you don't pay your bribe or affiliate with someone that has, you're out of jiujitsu. This guy didn't play ball and got reamed. Did the same to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2013 9:33pm

Style: Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post

Perhaps I'm missing the point here but I agree with CoffeeFan. Maybe someone can clarify for me but isn't the colour belt supposed to show your level of skill attained within the federation? Can they be forced to progress once they achieve a skill level?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 1:39am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its got nothing to do with skill. The black belt is sold for 4 grand.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 9:21am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, I actually called the guy on this matter to get the details. I just got jacked for my belt as well. The issue is with Schilling, the guys instructor. Well, actually, the issue is with Carlos Gracie Jr. So Schilling is a legit black belt whos rank, as does mine and many others, predates the registration requirement. When registration went live, because he was unwilling to hand his business over to his former instructor and/or his competitors, he was unable to acquire the necessary signatures, resulting in his being stripped of rank. Keep in mind now, that you can GANG RAPE a girl, and still not lose your certification. I didn't get the full details of the falling out as he went into an intense rage, but his being stripped of his rank forced his student to either stay at brown or leave his instructor. So he (Osman) gets to the tournament, gets STRIPPED OF HIS BLACK BELT, and then competes where they tell him too. Carlos Gracie Jr resolves issues with certification for $4000 a pop. He's also the one that created the system in the first place, though this "rick" character may be involved as well. I'd advise anyone looking to move up past purple to VERY cautious. Carlos Gracie Jr is looking to **** up your paperwork, freeze you and/or dishonor you, and then charge you $2000- $4000 to fix it. He's also been known to use these tactics to force affiliation under Barra or other shady business deals.
    Last edited by The Villain; 5/20/2013 9:24am at .
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast