Sponsored Links Spacer Image

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 6:55am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're not good enough to compete at a major event, you compete at local events until you're ready. The idea that you can have a beginners division at a world championship or other international competition is ridiculous. I don't think it happens in any other sport.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 7:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    If you're not good enough to compete at a major event, you compete at local events until you're ready. The idea that you can have a beginners division at a world championship or other international competition is ridiculous. I don't think it happens in any other sport.
    Having major competitions at lower ranks shows entire schools where the holes in their syllabus are. As BJJ is an evolving art, I would say this type of competition is vital.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 7:25am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From an information point of view, I think this topic is worthy of a becoming a Bullshido Community Article over on .org

lukerawks, as you brought this to the site's attention, at the point where it's been thrashed out/concluded, would you consider writing this up (under our guidance) as an informative (not critiquing) article ?

Because it's not an investigative article, I wouldn't require your real name or personal details associated with the write-up, I'd just link it back to your username and provide credit to you as author.

Thanks
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 7:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    From an information point of view, I think this topic is worthy of a becoming a Bullshido Community Article over on .org

lukerawks, as you brought this to the site's attention, at the point where it's been thrashed out/concluded, would you consider writing this up (under our guidance) as an informative (not critiquing) article ?

Because it's not an investigative article, I wouldn't require your real name or personal details associated with the write-up, I'd just link it back to your username and provide credit to you as author.

Thanks
    Sure thing. The story is still developing a little, but it looks like most of the fanfare is starting to die down. I'm happy to work through that with you guys, it will just be my first summary on the site so I'll definitely need a hand...thanks!

I"m really surprised and encouraged to see how quickly this thread/story has grown. I think it's a great sign for the sport of jiu jitsu that so many people are so concerned with keeping things legit. I know for every case that gets this kind of attention, there are probably tens or hundreds of sandbagging cases that go unchecked/unproven....but hopefully this will bring a little more attention to the issue.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 7:41am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sam Osman himself is now weighing in, from the facebook photo comments:

"i registered as a black belt, and because my instructor was not recgonized as a 2nd dan so ibjjf did not get back to me for 8 weeks as i running around trying to get signed off to compete i was told that i can fight as a brown belt, because it the high i can fight with the situation of my instructor, i apporch all the high black belts, to ask them to sign of on my belt they wanted me to change team names so i was put in a corner i did not sand back i was put in a situation i was getting ready for a long time to compete, and i thought i was ready to go as black belt but the ibjjf did not [...]
    get back to me, or my instructor, or any of my black belt friends request i tried to do the right thing, alot of the guys that went from canada had alot of the same situations, that i had, i wanted to get a chance to try the black division, but they would not register me or my instructor [...]
    his is not an integrity issue, this was just a sample time issue, and the fact that there are alot off under the table drama that the students get stuck in the middle with, i am person whole always competed according to my level, i got my black belt 3 month ago and i tried my best to do this the right way, this goes back to the black belts and there issues together, we as students get caught up with there problem, and we become the bad guy."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 7:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lukerawks View Post
    Sam Osman himself is now weighing in, from the facebook photo comments:

"i registered as a black belt, and because my instructor was not recgonized as a 2nd dan so ibjjf did not get back to me for 8 weeks as i running around trying to get signed off to compete i was told that i can fight as a brown belt, because it the high i can fight with the situation of my instructor, i apporch all the high black belts, to ask them to sign of on my belt they wanted me to change team names so i was put in a corner i did not sand back i was put in a situation i was getting ready for a long time to compete, and i thought i was ready to go as black belt but the ibjjf did not [...]
    get back to me, or my instructor, or any of my black belt friends request i tried to do the right thing, alot of the guys that went from canada had alot of the same situations, that i had, i wanted to get a chance to try the black division, but they would not register me or my instructor [...]
    his is not an integrity issue, this was just a sample time issue, and the fact that there are alot off under the table drama that the students get stuck in the middle with, i am person whole always competed according to my level, i got my black belt 3 month ago and i tried my best to do this the right way, this goes back to the black belts and there issues together, we as students get caught up with there problem, and we become the bad guy."
    Continued from above:

"i am sorry for the problem, but i am sure all the people invoved would come out and say how hard i tried to do the right thing."

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 7:50am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok mate, well in terms of a write-up I'll guide you through it when we (you) feel the topic has run it's course.

As I say, I'm not looking for any article to be overtly critical of the individuals concerned, but an informative piece which details the circumstances and information on how a legitimately graded black belt has (or could in the future) continue to compete in a lower ranked section.

I think it also worth the opportunity of contacting Sam Osman directly through whatever medium is available and extend the opportunity for him to contribute directly, in essence put his side across on a website which is arguably one of if not the most populated MA sites on the internet.

If he'd be willing to do so, I feel this would be much more objective and positive for him as a competitor and martial artist.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

:)

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 8:01am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    I wonder if the people who are so careful on this incident are also following all the bjj guys that are being held back from promotions just to win tournaments.
    Using a technicality to follow the rules, but with favorable placement, is a little different.
    We talk about rules and all but he could have done the exact same thing by talking to his instructor, letting him take the belt after the tournament. I heard there are many black belt level purple belts in the world being held back just for the tournaments.
    That would have been the better option, IMO.
    Maybe getting the belt levels out of the way in big tournaments IS the solution. Or maybe you have just two classes like brown-black and purple and below etc.
    For what purpose? I'd have thought the big tournaments, with their likely bigger pool of talent, would have the most need for these classes.

Belts don't mean everything, but they do mean something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 8:18am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Facebook message to Sam Osman for comment
    Hi Sam,

My name is Luke [REDACTED]; I'm a novice BJJ player and I have been contributing to the forums on bullshido.net--an online martial arts and MMA community. I recently started a forum thread about the Pan American controversy involving your bracket, and in an effort to present the whole story and give equal time to all parties involved, I wanted to see if you would be willing to give a statement or comment regarding the situation?

Here is the thread on bullshido:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=120335&page=4

Feel free to either directly reply to me or join the site to comment on the forum posts. We'd love to get your side of the story as well and make sure we're presenting an unbiased summary of all of the facts, and of course giving you a chance to respond to these comments and any other comments from other sites.

Thanks in advance for your time,

Luke

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 8:25am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Facebook message to Scott Schilling
    Hello professor Schilling,
    My name is Luke [REDACTED]; I am a novice BJJ player and have been contributing to a thread on the martial arts/MMA site Bullshido.net regarding the Sam Osman Pan Ams controversy. In the podium photo comments, you had stated that you would be releasing a statement regarding this situation. I wanted to send you a message to see if you have released a statement as of yet, or if you'd be willing to release a statement to myself or Bullshido regarding the situation.
    Right now, we are still gathering information regarding the controversy, and would love to give you guys an opportunity to weigh in. Below is a link to the Bullshido thread in question, feel free to either respond to me or join forums at bullshido if you'd like to tell your story.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast