Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 2:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje View Post
    I generally try to nip any temper in the bud before it gets to the point I'd show it, even if it means removing myself (calmly) from the situation.

For instance, on Friday we were doing some single stick sparring, my second time overall and first time against the boys. The instructor told my third sparring partner to go lightly, as I'm coming back from a year's severe illness and am a general noodly-armed, spazzy noob. He didn't go lightly, which I could deal with since I know some people don't have a "dimmer switch" when it comes to power, but every time I pushed forward and put the pressure on his personal space he would punch me in the head. Hard. These weren't open handed checks, but proper closed-hand punches that snapped my head back like you'd snap a pencil.

It annoyed me because closed-fist punches are disallowed both in sparring and competition, so they came as a complete surprise. I posed absolutely zero threat to this guy so dirty tactics like that were also really uncalled for. At the end of the round my neck hurt like hell and I could see that he didn't give a ****, so rather than carry on and get flustered or call him out while his blood was up I just said "that's it, I'm done", sat out for one round (we had odd numbers so this didn't attract attention) and then just found a different partner.

(I found out later that he'd done the same thing to Fuzzy, who dealt with the situation much more directly and gave him a good whack in the legs. So I took some comfort in that.)
    So the head instructor was where while this guy was punching you in the face?

Really, you need to have a talk with him and advise him of that situation. Your partner was given specific instructions by the instructor and ignored them.

Do you LIKE getting abused? You think you are the only one this guy abused like that?

Sheesh, I've seen guys beatent a pulp in Judo class for doing crap like that...abusing lower ranks and /or women.

One guy was a misogynist. didn't think women should do Judo. So he decided to beat the crap out of my instructor's wife during randori (we were at our mutual instructors dojo training, in another city from our hometown/dojo).

Anyway, I was a brown belt and I beat the crap out of the guy (who was a 2nd black belt from Mexico), but couldn't really hur him. The head instructor took care of that. When the guy couldn't move anymore, he picked him up and threw him out onto the broiling hot asphalt (Texas in August) with his gym bag.

Never saw him again.

Judo Justice!

Seriously, that guy needs to go.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 7:04pm

Style: Dutch KB / Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A trick I learned about sparring is:

Don't say "sparring time" say "let's play"

Like, "Alright everybody! choose a sparring partner and play with techniques"

It can make the atmosphere a lot lighter for new students, which will avoid heavy hitting, which will avoid the sparring getting personal.

Because when Im sparring light and get hit hard It's either a mistake or my partner spazzed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 7:15pm

Style: Escrima n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So the head instructor was where while this guy was punching you in the face?
    Our gym is kind of weirdly shaped, it's got a big square cut out of the middle leading down to the warehouse below that's bordered with a fence, equipment and flags and things, so it's not always possible to see where you are in the gym. Here's a picture to show our approximate positions at the time:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gym.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	14835

The sparring rounds are only a minute long, so I wouldn't blame him for missing it if he was focussing on another pair. The other instructor who is usually there was ill, so he was supervising on his own.

Really, you need to have a talk with him and advise him of that situation. Your partner was given specific instructions by the instructor and ignored them.
    Absolutely, and I will be doing so on Friday. At the moment I'm only going once a week and didn't think it was the sort of thing I should do over something like facebook. At the end of the class I candidly told Jerk that he went far too hard and I would not be partnering him again and he just kind of laughed wandered off to put gloves on for mano mano, so I'm not just going to let it lie.

Do you LIKE getting abused? You think you are the only one this guy abused like that?
    Definitely not. I'd have made a much bigger issue if I hadn't had my Eskrima helmet on for protection. Fuzzy said he's better in empty hand, so it may be that he just thinks the helmet offers more protection than it does, but it still doesn't excuse dirty tactics like that in my opinion.

I know I'm not the only one he's tried it with because he did it to Fuzzy once and got a swift crack in the legs for his trouble.

Sheesh, I've seen guys beatent a pulp in Judo class for doing crap like that...abusing lower ranks and /or women.

One guy was a misogynist. didn't think women should do Judo. So he decided to beat the crap out of my instructor's wife during randori (we were at our mutual instructors dojo training, in another city from our hometown/dojo).

Anyway, I was a brown belt and I beat the crap out of the guy (who was a 2nd black belt from Mexico), but couldn't really hur him. The head instructor took care of that. When the guy couldn't move anymore, he picked him up and threw him out onto the broiling hot asphalt (Texas in August) with his gym bag.

Never saw him again.

Judo Justice!

Seriously, that guy needs to go.
    That's a great story. Good riddance to bad rubbish!

My old dojo in uni had a very namby pamby approach to discipline, and let a guy trained there that they knew liked to hit girls. He was too rough, didn't respect the tap and was physically abusive to women outside the dojo - a fact they were well aware of. At first I just decided not to train with the guy until, on a night I wasn't there, he rolled with an ex girlfriend and broke her ribs in 16, yes you read that right, SIXTEEN, places. The instructors knew that it had happened on their watch, I raised a formal complaint against the guy for it, but they didn't kick him out because the victim herself refused to lay a complaint. I kept following up, and the best I got was "we had a chat with him about it". So I turned around, walked out and never went back again.

That's why I refused to spar with Jerk again as soon as I realised the punching thing wasn't just a one-off "oops, I panicked!" type of thing. I'll see to it he's disciplined, but will follow the due process. I know our instructor doesn't put up with that kind of **** in his gym, so I'm confident that Jerk at least will be taken care of.

Posted On:
    5/14/2013 7:28pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did bitch slap a guy who went off reservation while rolling once. That worked.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 6:46am

Style: BJJ Beginner

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was thinking that I have never got angry at training, but then I remembered this time at boxing training years ago, I was about 25 and this new kid comes in, must have been somewhere between 16-18, fairly skinny I probably had about 20kg on him.

He had obviously had a little bit of training, coach asks us and the rest of the class to start light sparring, just focusing on techniques.

Bam, he hits me with about 2/3 of full force, because he is new to class I stop and say, "mate, please this is light sparring, we are just focusing on technique"

We start again, and this time even harder to my face, my nose starts bleeding, I stop again and explain what it is we are trying to do, I am ok with it, it's boxing you get hit, but don't do it again

We start again, and crack he hits me hard again in the nose, but the coach must have been watching my face, really quickly he got between me and the kid and said that's enough for the day, as I had just decided to drive my fist into the kids face and then hopefully his face into the floor.

I still remember the look on the kids face when we were sparring, it was like he didn't give a **** or maybe didn't even register he was being dick.

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 7:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One might suggest that, the better the gym--and the more experience one gains at that gym--the longer it takes to "lose it" under pressure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 7:34am

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's this one guy I train with who keeps trying to tell me to bend my back leg in the Wu 108 form. Everyone knows that in the Wu form, the back leg is straight.

You guys are lucky you don't have to put up with the level of **** I do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 8:31am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really don't get too upset during training the mat is my happy place. Don't get me wrong when a spaz has booted or elbowed me in the face for the 14th time i'll get a little miffed but I take it in stride and just go 110 percent and break them into little pieces it's all good.

I have however had two occasions when I've missed time due to injury that I have had what I imagine roid rage would feel like (I have never used). It was an odd feeling I just had a nearly uncontrollable urge to hulk smash everything in sight. That f***ing bird why it it chirping arrrrrrg DIE! Had this happened when I was young it might have been a problem but fortunately I was able to recognize that hey dipshit there is nothing to be mad at run away get as far from human beings as possible.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These days I train with like a dozen people, usually half that, and we all get along so I haven't had any issues in a long time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 12:36pm

Style: BJJ/Submission Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man I just relayed a recent experience in another thread that would have fit perfectly here.

I personally have a very high tollerance level for anger when it comes to my training partners. My BJJ school is still kind of new and there are maybe 3 or 4 of us that had training at previous school/instructor and we are obviously just head and shoulders above the rest.

One of the key reasons you get promoted at my school is not only your competition record (well actually good luck even getting a stripe if you don't come back with atleast a silver if not gold medal) but because you contribute back to the class. As such we are all used to taking our partners awkward ass impact as the do screaming ghetto blast power doubles.

What absolutely turns me into a homicidal maniac is when I see people with training just putting it on white belts. I recently bsted out the ol kick to the balls and crossface on one such individual.

To answer the original question I find that beating the **** out of the offender typically makes me feel better, barring that there have been a few go to the bathroom and have emotional breakdown moments that have helped.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast