Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 1:53pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I fucking hated Hamed for his obnoxious behavior, including his gaudy entrances. His best entrance ever was the Barrera fight when a fan blasted him with a full cup of beer. Hahahahahahahahahahaaaaa! Oh, he was PISSED!!!! Then Barrera beat his ass. Priceless. God, he had it coming. What a ****.

I was a huge Roy Jones fan but I hated his bullshit entrances too. I didn't want to hear his shitty rapping. I wanted to watch him fight.

I'm not a fan of theatrical entrances at all. I think it's tacky and for me it detracts from the sport.
    But it got you tuning in because you wanted to see him lose. I bet you felt a great sense of satisfaction when Barrera beat him decisively. Justice had been served.

This is why theatrical fight entrances work. The Gorgeous George act never gets old. It works in professional wrestling, it works in boxing, and it works in MMA. It's a proven ticket seller.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    This is why theatrical fight entrances work. The Gorgeous George act never gets old. It works in professional wrestling, it works in boxing, and it works in MMA. It's a proven ticket seller.
    Hamed was a total heel. He was like the Iron Sheik and Rick Flair rolled into a guy who could box, and you wanted to see him get hit, and that's why I liked him. Too bad his heel antics weren't limited to the ring.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 2:17pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But it got you tuning in because you wanted to see him lose. I bet you felt a great sense of satisfaction when Barrera beat him decisively. Justice had been served.

I can't really argue with that but I still think it's bad for MMA. MMA has had to fight and claw for respect for two decades. Too much of this bullshit is a step in the wrong direction, IMO.

My other problem with it is that I think it's disrespectful and unfair to an opponent who has to stand there and wait for an assclown to sashay his way to the ring or cage.

I actually liked Hamed's unorthodox style. I probably would've been a fan if he wasn't such a megaturd.
    Last edited by Devil; 3/28/2013 2:20pm at .

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 2:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hamed cracked me up and i loved watching him put people on the canvas.
    I think his Temptations entrance was my favorite.

Saku had his moments too:

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 3:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also wasn't Hamed's last US fight just months before 9/11?
    I can just imagine him with the HBO execs,

"So Prince, about that whole 'Allahu Akbar' thing..."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 3:21pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't really argue with that but I still think it's bad for MMA. MMA has had to fight and claw for respect for two decades. Too much of this bullshit is a step in the wrong direction, IMO.
    I don't get this whole idea of MMA needing to fight for respect. The UFC, as an organization, is as respectable as they come. It's much more respectable than most boxing organizations.

For instance, I don't think Dana White would ever allow a Williams-Botha debacle to happen. There hasn't been a . Anyone who thinks MMA isn't respectable simply doesn't pay attention to combat sports.

At the end of the day, MMA fighters can afford some showmanship. It doesn't hurt the actual match, and it offers some pizzazz. If someone walks in doing a funky dance or wearing a superman outfit, more power to them.

My other problem with it is that I think it's disrespectful and unfair to an opponent who has to stand there and wait for an assclown to sashay his way to the ring or cage.
    If a fighter gets flustered because of a ringwalk, he's not very strong mentally. In which case, he'll probably lose.

I actually liked Hamed's unorthodox style. I probably would've been a fan if he wasn't such a megaturd.
    Floyd Mayweather Jr. said it best: "They pay to love or they pay to hate me, but they still pay."

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 3:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm conflicted. I don't want to see anything as stupid as that Ben Wall mess, but I could totally get behind a Haka walkout:

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 3:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't get this whole idea of MMA needing to fight for respect. The UFC, as an organization, is as respectable as they come. It's much more respectable than most boxing organizations.

For instance, I don't think Dana White would ever allow a Williams-Botha debacle to happen. There hasn't been a referee boondoggle that resulted in a death in the ring. Anyone who thinks MMA isn't respectable simply doesn't pay attention to combat sports.

At the end of the day, MMA fighters can afford some showmanship. It doesn't hurt the actual match, and it offers some pizzazz. If someone walks in doing a funky dance or wearing a superman outfit, more power to them.

If a fighter gets flustered because of a ringwalk, he's not very strong mentally. In which case, he'll probably lose.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. said it best: "They pay to love or they pay to hate me, but they still pay."
    MMA has absolutely had to fight for respect. Not because MMA is less "classy" than other sports, but because it is a newer sport and struggled to be legalized in most states and struggled for attention in the sports media. The image of the sport has been important in those regards and also in attracting new fans to MMA. That's pretty plain to see.

Obviously if a fighter gets flustered by a ring walk, he's got other problems. If he gets flustered because his opponent spits in his face, he should still be able to win the fight but that doesn't mean it should be allowed.

Pizzazz, huh? You probably think gold chains and pinky rings add pizzazz to your track suits too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 4:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA has absolutely had to fight for respect. Not because MMA is less "classy" than other sports, but because it is a newer sport and struggled to be legalized in most states and struggled for attention in the sports media.
    It seems then that the days of fighting for respect are over. In American media, MMA is tops. You're more likely to see MMA highlights on ESPN than boxing highlights, and there's more blogs devoted to MMA than any other combat sport.

Mind you, there's a few states that are stragglers when it comes to legalization, but politicians are always slow on the uptake.

(Conversely, I think interest in MMA has plateaued since Brock Lesnar retired, but that's another story.)

The image of the sport has been important in those regards and also in attracting new fans to MMA. That's pretty plain to see.
    The UFC has done pretty well for itself by attracting the 18-50-year-old Middle American white male demographic by selling MMA as a lifestyle. Hence why you have all this fratboys in green mohawks wearing TapouT shirts.

But you can only go so far in this strategy. Not everyone is attracted to the lifestyle, and many are turned off by it.

This is where showmanship comes into play. How do you attract someone who has no interest in being a dudebro? Add that little extra bit of drama.

Shine the light on a talent who oozes charisma like Sugar Ray Leonard. Or do the opposite and pull an Andy Kaufmann.

Obviously if a fighter gets flustered by a ring walk, he's got other problems. If he gets flustered because his opponent spits in his face, he should still be able to win the fight but that doesn't mean it should be allowed.
    You've got a libertarian bent. I'd think you'd have no problem with how a fighter decides to sell his fights.

Pizzazz, huh? You probably think gold chains and pinky rings add pizzazz to your track suits too.
    No, give me a monocle and top hat any day of the week.

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 4:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems then that the days of fighting for respect are over. In American media, MMA is tops. You're more likely to see MMA highlights on ESPN than boxing highlights, and there's more blogs devoted to MMA than any other combat sport.

Mind you, there's a few states that are stragglers when it comes to legalization, but politicians are always slow on the uptake.

(Conversely, I think interest in MMA has plateaued since Brock Lesnar retired, but that's another story.)

The UFC has done pretty well for itself by attracting the 18-50-year-old Middle American white male demographic by selling MMA as a lifestyle. Hence why you have all this fratboys in green mohawks wearing TapouT shirts.

But you can only go so far in this strategy. Not everyone is attracted to the lifestyle, and many are turned off by it.

This is where showmanship comes into play. How do you attract someone who has no interest in being a dudebro? Add that little extra bit of drama.

Shine the light on a talent who oozes charisma like Sugar Ray Leonard. Or do the opposite and pull an Andy Kaufmann.

You've got a libertarian bent. I'd think you'd have no problem with how a fighter decides to sell his fights.

No, give me a monocle and top hat any day of the week.

I think the days of fighting for respect are close to over. When it's legalized in every state, it'll be over.

I don't think interest in MMA has plateaued. Have you heard of this hot chick named Ronda Rousey? My fucking Mom watches MMA now.

Nevermind my politics. I'm a true southern gentleman. This means I value politeness above all else. That's why I'm so nice to you fuckwits.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast