Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 11:46pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Theatrical Fight Entrances

Whilst there have been a number of entrance music threads in the past:

a recent video posted on FB by Mr Miyagi had me thinking. As MMA continues to evolve as a form of entertainment, is it an inevitable outcome that theatrical entrances become part of the show?

The theatrics surrounding the action has been a mainstay of pro wrestling for some time, which could speak to its popular appeal. But how far can you go before the theatrics become detrimental to the quality of the product (i.e. where the fighting becomes more farce as in pro wrestling)? Or is there no real correlation between the two? Would more theatrics improve or detract from an event for you? Is it an inevitable outcome of MMA's push into entertainment or a pitfall to be avoided?

Whilst I think a bit of theatrics might add a little to the overall value of a fight night (and probably more at the amateur level than pro events), I certainly wouldn't want to see it detract from the bread and butter of the show. Or maybe I just don't to sit next to a face painted hooligan chanting for the people's elbow whilst I'm trying to discern the finer details of a decent fight.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 11:54pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing — nothing! — beats Prince Naseem Hamed's Thriller entrance.

/end thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 12:45am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you ever watched Japanese MMA? Because doing so would show you that theatrical entrances already are part of MMA... just Captain Dana doesn't really approve so they don't usually make it into the UFC (unless you are Tom Lawlor).

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 1:19am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Genki motherfuckin' Sudo!

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 2:45am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm of the opinion if you are going to make an entrance, you'd better fucking win. I'm not saying I completely disagree, but when your opponent rocks up with little fanfare and KOs the **** out of you so bad that your children are retarded from it, despite already having been born, you may need to rethink this whole idea of "making a cool entrance" in lieu of focussing on the fucking fight. It could also be deemed somewhat disrespectful to your opponent, but not having the experience of being someone's opponent I won't say this is a definite.

Ben Wall's recent entrance at Nitro was gaudy and over the top, but he won, so the whole "I wanna be a macho man" thing kinda worked. That's Ben, though. He's a quirky character, it was a personal statement. I wouldn't do it, the maxim "speak softly and carry a big stick" comes to mind. I've seen this in effect a couple of months ago, dude had a ridiculously over the top entrance and had to be carried out of the arena because his understated opponent sent him to the canvas in spectacular style. The KO was his opponents personal statement and the one that will be recorded not as a "look at how creative I am with my fight entrance", but as the ultimate, "I won the fucking fight which is what I came here to do".

Personally I find it somewhat cringeworthy. This is not some theatrical event that needs a spectacle to keep me interested, the sport keeps me interested. The actual fighting keeps me interested. I'm only speaking for me, here, though, so don't get it twisted. If you want to dress up like a gay clown in arseless chaps with polka dot suspenders and a top hat, go ahead. I might have a chuckle and think you're a weirdo, but make no mistake, I only care about your performance in the cage.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 2:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a reason why 50 people will tun up to a world class bjj event. And 800 will turn up to a local MMA show.

It is entertainment have some fun with it.

Australian MMA there is no money in it. And you can fight people in gyms in front of nobody if the purety of combat is what you want.

I have had this conversation a few times. Most of the fighters really are not all that fussed with the walk out so to get silly with it is not such a big drama.

I had one who just lets the guys choose the music for him.

It would be bad at our gym one of our guys has a gay anthem CD.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 3/28/2013 2:59am at .
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 7:41am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Not really as over the top as some others, but considering it's John Wayne Parr, I think he's earned the right to break it down a little if he wants.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 8:27am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Nothing — nothing! — beats Prince Naseem Hamed's Thriller entrance.

/end thread.

I fucking hated Hamed for his obnoxious behavior, including his gaudy entrances. His best entrance ever was the Barrera fight when a fan blasted him with a full cup of beer. Hahahahahahahahahahaaaaa! Oh, he was PISSED!!!! Then Barrera beat his ass. Priceless. God, he had it coming. What a ****.

I was a huge Roy Jones fan but I hated his bullshit entrances too. I didn't want to hear his shitty rapping. I wanted to watch him fight.

I'm not a fan of theatrical entrances at all. I think it's tacky and for me it detracts from the sport.

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 9:04am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    There is a reason why 50 people will tun up to a world class bjj event. And 800 will turn up to a local MMA show.

It is entertainment have some fun with it.

Australian MMA there is no money in it. And you can fight people in gyms in front of nobody if the purety of combat is what you want.

I have had this conversation a few times. Most of the fighters really are not all that fussed with the walk out so to get silly with it is not such a big drama.

I had one who just lets the guys choose the music for him.

It would be bad at our gym one of our guys has a gay anthem CD.
    Had a chat with my coach tonight who had some memorable entrances in his time. He reckons some of it was to curb the anxiety of the fight. It's one of those personal things, as I've said before.

I disagree with the implication that without the "entertainment", particularly in the Aussie MMA scene, there wouldn't be a scene. Aussies love fighting, always have, our Muay Thai shows always had a decent turnout and now moreso with the popularity of UFC/MMA in recent years. There might not be much money in it but that, in my personal opinion, is down to the promoters asking the types of ticket prices one might expect on an international card. It's fucked going to a show having forked out $70 for a seat to find many seats empty and then to add insult to injury finding the people in better seats than you having paid half price at the door (has happened to me). On the other hand, I've been to standing room only fights, sold out. Someone is making money in there somewhere.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 1:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post

I don't know anything about Ben Wall, but IMO if you're going to do a theatrical entrance, you should do it better than that. The half of the audience that doesn't look bored looks embarrassed.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast