Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: Hapkido?

Style
    Wadō-Ryū karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hapkido?

I've been thinking of taking up hapkido since the only aikido club I could find is dead, my local jujutsu club is for kids only and I'll be damned before I go to balloo every Thursday.
    Trouble is, I live in Northern Ireland, anyone know of a club; preferably near Holywood.
    I'm happy to receive advice on do/don't take up hapkido but I'd prefer if someone actually answered my question.

On a side note, if not hapkido, judo or jujutsu (NI ju-jujiutsu federation)?

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo. Forget Hapkido. Forget jujutsu- assuming its not bjj- and do judo. Applying what you learn against actively resisting opponents is essential for developing effective skills.

Style
    Wadō-Ryū karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But couldn't you argue that the punches and kicks taught in hapkido can be useful compared to what is essentially standing wrestling in judo?
    (I'm not dismissing what you said, just want to generate discussion)

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Solid_snackCQB View Post
    But couldn't you argue that the punches and kicks taught in hapkido can be useful compared to what is essentially standing wrestling in judo?
    So what is your reason for wanting to take up a combat sport/martial art? How old are you? I infer you are an adult because of your remark regarding "kids" jujutsu (which seems a bit strange to me).

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you put a judo black belt against a Hapkido black belt in a no rules fight the judoka will probably take it 99/100 times.

Style
    Wadō-Ryū karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So what is your reason for wanting to take up a combat sport/martial art? How old are you? I infer you are an adult because of your remark regarding "kids" jujutsu (which seems a bit strange to me).

Ben
    My reason for taking up martial arts Is partly for improved fitness But mostly for better self defence, that said I don't intend to fight any trained fighter outside of randori any time soon. I'm 15, at most I'd get a year because it apparently is "junior" jujutsu, hence there isn't really any point.
    Also, for the sake of the discussion, what about Krav Maga instead of both karate and judo, would taking on judo in addition to my wadō Ryū be more effective than Krav Maga on it's own?

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really have any experience with Krav, but I hear it varies. Some places do a lot of sparring and live training and some don't. I think with something like that you have to judge by the school and not the style... Which is true for pretty much everything. The difference with styles that have sanctioned competition- like Jodi, boxing, Muay Thai, etc, is that the competition keeps them honest.

Style
    Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My reason for taking up martial arts Is partly for improved fitness But mostly for better self defence, that said I don't intend to fight any trained fighter outside of randori any time soon. I'm 15, at most I'd get a year because it apparently is "junior" jujutsu, hence there isn't really any point.
    Also, for the sake of the discussion, what about Krav Maga instead of both karate and judo, would taking on judo in addition to my wadō Ryū be more effective than Krav Maga on it's own?
    Self defense is very personal as to what works and what doesn't. But I think the most common rule for self defense is you want to get out of there. In saying that at the age of 15 I'd say the majority of your opponents in a self defense situation are going to have a size and weight advantage over you.

For this reason I'm going to say a grappling art may be the best. You're not going to overpower your opponent but you're going to increase your ability to escape the situation.

While striking sounds good in theory; being grabbed / tackled to the ground / tripped is all too common and being able to force someone to release you is always invaluable. After good grappling foundations there are many striking styles that can easily be incorporated later.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Most of us here believe in training martial arts that include the principle of "Aliveness". That is, after learning and drilling techniques in a compliant manner, non-compliant sparring is then incorporated, preferably in every class.

Here is a video of Matt Thornton, the man that coined the term talking about it:

Regardless of what martial art you choose to study, you will only learn effective fighting skills under qualified instruction if the art includes the element of aliveness. The reason we feel comfortable recommending Judo is because it is always taught with this principle in mind. Sometimes arts like Krav Maga and Hapkido are also taught in this manner, but their respective records in this area are spotty as opposed to combat arts like Judo, Muay Thai, SOMBO, Kyokushin Karate and BJJ.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is your self defense concerns? Are you worried about a schoolyard brawl sort of situation or something else?

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last