Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    The influence of Aikido is clear.
    That's definitely an interesting perspective and I also just found an interesting article relevant here it's an interview between Roy Dean and Soke Irie Yasuhiro (founder of KoKoDo JuJutsu) and it talks about the connection of how kokodo uses aiki in it's style.

http://www.roydeanacademy.com/downlo...inter_2007.pdf

Style
    karate/jujitsu/wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

kokodo jujutsu

Ok kokodo is consists of waza and standing waza...you first learn how to escape a two hand grab, the first technique Is called nuke ti which means escape once u learn how to escape a two hand grab u develop more skill to learn other techniques on waza..wrist locks are painful and effective but you have to know when and how to use the techniques based on how the attacker attacks you..if he is aggressive then you have to use his own power against him..a weaker attack will be easier but different defense is used because you have to adjust to your attacker and know what's he doing..I been studying for years but not recently due to busy life..so once u learn sitting waza you move up to standing waza..pure japanese jujutsu but kokodo version..the throws take more time to learn unless you are a natural..wrestling helped me with the throws but I realized I was using my wrestling background to help me with my techniques and that's not what kokodo is but I eventually learned to just use pure updated Japanese techniques..judo may help a lot and wrestling...so I hope I helped..this art is gentle cuz the way you use the techniques but in the streets it's a different story..it will help get away from a enemy if you study rigorously for days..

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nazhere View Post
    this art is gentle cuz the way you use the techniques but in the streets it's a different story..it will help get away from a enemy if you study rigorously for days..
    Please see
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=125818
    for a whole list of reasons why this train of thought is a whole mess of BS.
    This thread here may also help you out
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=125904
    As well as the 1001 threads about aliveness in the martial arts.
    Basically anything that starts with hey grab my wrist is pretty much bullshit.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    KoKoDo? That the jitsu that Koko the gorilla does?
    Koko is an American Gorilla. She does catch and folk style.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Basically anything that starts with hey grab my wrist is pretty much bullshit.
    That's not completely fair. Gracie Jiu-Jitsu has a way to deal with every grab.

It's the sending the people flying through the air from the knees that was the red flag for me.

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nazhere View Post
    Ok kokodo is consists of waza and standing waza...you first learn how to escape a two hand grab, the first technique Is called nuke ti which means escape once u learn how to escape a two hand grab u develop more skill to learn other techniques on waza..wrist locks are painful and effective but you have to know when and how to use the techniques based on how the attacker attacks you..if he is aggressive then you have to use his own power against him..a weaker attack will be easier but different defense is used because you have to adjust to your attacker and know what's he doing..I been studying for years but not recently due to busy life..so once u learn sitting waza you move up to standing waza..pure japanese jujutsu but kokodo version..the throws take more time to learn unless you are a natural..wrestling helped me with the throws but I realized I was using my wrestling background to help me with my techniques and that's not what kokodo is but I eventually learned to just use pure updated Japanese techniques..judo may help a lot and wrestling...so I hope I helped..this art is gentle cuz the way you use the techniques but in the streets it's a different story..it will help get away from a enemy if you study rigorously for days..
    You really shouldn't rely on wrestling or Judo. Koko is about technique, not strength.

Style
    Karate-knockdown, BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is form one of their sites. I know one of the instructors, Michael Seamark, but only in passing. He seems like a nice enough guy, but I can't say anything good or bad for the style he teaches. I know Seamark is also a Blue Belt under Saulo and Xande Ribeiro. I can't speak to his skill level,as I have not rolled with him or any of his students. Hope this info helps.

Irie Yasuhiro entered the Hakkoryu Ju-Jutsu Headquarters in 1969 and trained directly under Shodai Soke Okuyama Ryuho.

Irie was the head instructor for more then 20 years where he poured his heart and soul into spreading the art. Many westerners and North Americans travelled to the Hakkoryu Hombu to study and Irie Yasuhiro was there main teacher.

After growing the art and many shihan worldwide Soke Irie left Hakkoryu due to personal reasons and decided to create his own form of JuJutsu call KoKoDo or the Imperial Light Way Gentle Art. Soke established the KoKoDo So Hombu Dojo in 1995 teaching the JuJutsu as a traditional Japanese Budo system. The art has quickly grown to have over 30 chapters in over 12 countries worldwide.

KoKoDo is unique in that the waza and content are taught in an unbiased fashion making it easy to understand even for beginners. Keeping with a deep sense of tradition the waza are contemporary in nature. All the waza embody Soke Irie personal technique. The waza is logical students can through study and can reproduce Soke Irie’s movements.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KoKoDo is unique in that the waza and content are taught in an unbiased fashion making it easy to understand even for beginners. Keeping with a deep sense of tradition the waza are contemporary in nature. All the waza embody Soke Irie personal technique. The waza is logical students can through study and can reproduce Soke Irie’s movements.
    **** me can they just say Technique instead of waza? Anyways this whole quote really doesn't say **** about the art. Especially since it doesn't cover the areas of "waza" or the balance of them.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    karate/jujitsu/wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

comments back for kokodo

Yes u are absolutely rite, when I first started I really relyed on my background..boxing was also something I wanted u utilize in my techniques but I soon realized the traditional aspect of the waza...I eventually learned variations of techniques with uki and started learning to develop my "hara" ..I gained more power by learning to use what I know based on developed skill over time but to answer the other comments I believe every martial art has its pros and cons so you can't just say this kokodo is bs cuz u soon realize u may need it in the future..it helps to know other arts and this art is always evolving just like any other art no matter what your opinions are and yes it is not suspectable for mma but hey that's why it's called self defense

Style
    karate/jujitsu/wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Waza is a process of graduating to more advanced techniques, it starts from the basics and becomes more versatile once u get to the top of the board of techniques..that's how you obtain your shodan rank..once u learn the locks and throws u learn more about the mechanics of the techniques...balance is very important..balance improves with time and just like other arts it's always good to use ur body or should I say hara which relys on your center of gravity..moving your naval is important like utilizing your weight to its advantage..I hope u understand what I am saying.. and u also learn a great deal of pressure points..

Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last