Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Mixed Martial Arts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Huntington/Commack NY Schools legitimacy

What's up,

I moved into the area and wanted to check with the forum members if the schools I was looking into are legit and worth my time and money as tools to learn a martial art and to stay in shape.

Suigestu Dojo - Hakkoryu Jutsu by Sensei Smith

United Self Defense Center - Shaolin Kempo Karate by Hanshi Larry Boritz

American Kempo Karate - White Tiger Kempo by Master Dominick Panetta.

Any info on these school would be appreciated.

I already understand that these arts aren't the most practical for self defense but these are the closest schools to me I'm interested in, and since I just moved into the area I'm looking to invest in a legit school long term.

Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moved to YMAS. MABS is not for help me pick my school stuff.

We beat that with sticks here in YMAS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sirnightw View Post
    What's up,

I moved into the area and wanted to check with the forum members if the schools I was looking into are legit and worth my time and money as tools to learn a martial art and to stay in shape.

Suigestu Dojo - Hakkoryu Jutsu by Sensei Smith

United Self Defense Center - Shaolin Kempo Karate by Hanshi Larry Boritz

American Kempo Karate - White Tiger Kempo by Master Dominick Panetta.

Any info on these school would be appreciated.

I already understand that these arts aren't the most practical for self defense but these are the closest schools to me I'm interested in, and since I just moved into the area I'm looking to invest in a legit school long term.

It will be difficult to tell quality based on business names and websites, alone. But, there are some things we can see:

1) http://www.suigetsu.com/ This is what we typically call JJJ. There are good schools, and there are crap schools. At a good school, you're lucky to be on par with any decent and respected Judo or BJJ club. At a bad school, well, you're learning Aikido, or worse.
    2) Shaolin Kempo Karate? Why not Shaolin Kempo Muay Thai Kali Western Boxing Gun Club? Didn't look at them or for them, because the cultural misappropriation gives me pause.
    3) American Kempo / White Tiger. This is probably an Ed Parker offshoot, of some sort, that doesn't know how to spell "kenpo," in American English. Maybe OK, maybe crap.

The real question is what are your training goals, and can you align them with any of the schools in your area?

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    United Studios is a chain that seems to very consistently follow their business model of subpar martial arts and heavy marketing.

Style
    Turkish oil wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are now about to witness the strength of street legitimacy

Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Losco View Post
    You are now about to witness the strength of street legitimacy
    Oh boy. I am trembling with antici...
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Oh boy. I am trembling with antici...
    Say it, Frank, you've got consti...

Style
    Rehab(Back Surgery)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... pation.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Mixed Martial Arts
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys,

Thanks for the responses. For a little background I took Kickboxing and Grappling at the one and only TSMMA for about 2 years in length, but that was 8 years ago. As much as I've read ( and experienced ) how it is a McDojo, first hand experience is best. They did train hard there and seeing that legit UFC fighters come out of their schools ( Lyman Good comes to mind and he trained/taught at the NYC location where I began training) so they at least handled sparring and techniques in a practical fashion. They were just way too expensive to afford on a monthly basis. Think car payments, and you're looking at the type of investment they want from a 4 class a week type student.
    Now that I'm settled in this new area I'm looking to get back into a martial art that's a good after work exercise that will teach me useful self defense with enough challenge to keep me interested in training.

After some intense research the past few days and from attending some free trial classes I've found the school for me - Trigon Academy.

I took a one month ( 7 classes) session at Suigetsu dojo and I wasn't impressed. They were good at rolling and practiced a lot of wrist locks but I was able to witness a testing class and thought it turned into the school for uncoordinated kids. Awful to watch, but I sat thru the 2 hour process. Let's just say I wasn't afraid of sparring with any of the students. Too bad I wasn't able to see a black belt test.

Took a class at American Kempo and it wasn't that bad, decent workout and the drilling seemed difficult enough, I just figured that I'm not interested enough in spending time to learn forms and katas.

I canceled my trial at UFC gym and the local TSMMA gym because I just trialed at Trigon last night. I was excited right after talking to the instructor. Kickboxing, BJJ, Goshin Ryu, Kali, and 4 classes a week ( which is what I'm used to training with) won't break my bank. Even unlimited classes is only a small step up from that so I'm happy I went thru this process.
    They seem to actually care to learn practical defense and get into good habits at this school so I couldn't ask for more. Looking forward to the next class which is Monday.

Thanks for the help and if you are in the area, stop by and check it out!

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just cursorily reexamining your geography, you're not far from Serra BJJ, a solid choice if there ever was one. Also, you might check into Smithtown Judo, another relatively close option.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last