Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 12:44pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fun fact of the day

It has been 3 years to the day since GSP has fought outside of Canada. Ignoring the recent issues being brought to light by the Diaz camp, is it fair that GSP always gets to fight at home?

Clearly, GSP is huge in Canada. It makes sense from a marketing and promotion view point to put him as the main event in as many Canadian cards as possible. That said, I'm not sure it's fair that he gets home crowd advantage every time.

If you look at other UFC champs, they have fought all over the place. Anderson has fought in the Vegas, Brazil, Abu Dhabi, and Brazil. It's likely that Cain will never fight in Mexico (under the UFC banner). In the last 3 years he's fought in Australia, California, and Las Vegas. Benson Henderson, in the last 3 years, has fought in California, Arizona, Canada, Japan, Colorado, and Washington State. Jon Jones has fought in Colorado (twice), California, Nevada, New Jersey, Canada (twice), and Georgia. Jose Aldo has fought in Texas, Colorado, California, and Brazil. Demetrius Johnson has fought in Alaska, DC, Australia, and Canada, amongst other places.

Admittedly, not all of those aforementioned fights occurred under the UFC banner, and they weren't all championship bouts. Maybe that's important. I don't know.

What do you all think? Does it make any difference? Looking back it's hard to argue that he'd of lost any of his fights if he'd fought them somewhere other than Canada. I still don't think like it personally. Maybe it's just me...

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 12:52pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He can't fight outside Canada because the beeping from his anklet would be too distracting.