Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 LastLast

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I'm not suggesting that it is ancient history, however most of the people on both sides of that conflict are dead.
    Yeah, why would anyone have strong feelings about dead people? Especially from a period of history when people were dying left and right of all sorts of mysterious causes!

But here's the main thing I completely understand why they hate what they hate, but why should I have to be spoon fed their hate??
    You should stop this angle of "the people that don't like the connotations of the Rising Sun logo are the real haters". It takes some stones to call war victims haters while you spew rhetoric from a hateful teen's first post on Stormfront.

At what point does their hate turn from justified to just plain racism??
    They aren't talking about the Japanese flag; they're talking about the Japanese Navy rising sun logo.

Is that symbol currently being used to spread hate??
    Um, some Japanese nationalist groups still use it. Some notions of Japanese nationalism are certainly racist towards other groups.

If not then why should I have to be denied its use based on the feelings of people who could give a **** all about my country or feelings??
    Are you really trying to complain about others not respecting your feelings after calling them racists and haters for disliking the flag of Imperialist murderers?
    Last edited by Permalost; 3/28/2013 1:57pm at .

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 2:13pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Here are a number of products featuring the symbol.

What exactly are you being denied?

As far as your fee-fees, guess what: it ain't always all about you.
    Nothing at all I wouldn't have bought one anyway. Its more to the fact of what it this Line of thinking represents, the nanny-state. Having to cater to everyone's feelings is just bullshit.

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 2:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Yeah, why would anyone have strong feelings about dead people? Especially from a period of history when people were dying left and right of all sorts of mysterious causes!

You should stop this angle of "the people that don't like the connotations of the Rising Sun logo are the real haters". It takes some stones to call war victims haters while you spew rhetoric from a hateful teen's first post on Stormfront.

They aren't talking about the Japanese flag; they're talking about the Japanese Navy rising sun logo.

Um, some Japanese nationalist groups still use it. Some notions of Japanese nationalism are certainly racist towards other groups.

Are you really trying to complain about others not respecting your feelings after calling them racists and haters for disliking the flag of Imperialist murderers?
    This is a logical fallacy on your part I'm not calling anyone anything, I was asking it as a question. The symbol on the gi was in no way meant to represent the Japanese navy of 1940.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 2:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I gotta go to court, but after the first 2/3rds here's a post, hope it's still relevant.

It is about the gi, you are trying to attach hate to an inanimate object. All I am saying is if you are going that route then all said "symbols" should be equally banned. You know for fairness and all.
    Go do pushups.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Saying that you have strong emotional feelings about something that you have no connection to is disingenuous.
    No connection? Christ Colin, this is dumb - I'm totally connected - abuse and torture and murder and lack of acknowledgement etc etc. It helps that I've spent time in Asia and have witnessed lots Japanese Assholic Behavior. And it's not Japanese, it's Japanese militarism and cultural elitism and denial; same way I hate Cheney and I'm learning to hate Black Cheney, O-man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Why isn't the crucifix seen as equally offensive? What about atrocities committed in the name of God (for example, the KKK killing blacks and homosexuals under the cross?)

censorship? sure.. but why the rising sun and not the cross?
    I give up, you are acting the troll or are too stupid to talk to.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    What is the likelihood or practicality of all symbols being banned?

Choosing to take arguments to their logical extreme certainly simplifies the discussion.

Do you, Bnet, accept the fact that the Swastika is known as a symbol for hatred? If you say yes, then you can at least understand how humans can come to associate symbols with emotional attachments, among them hate. That doesn't imply that you as a person believe the Swastika is a hate symbol, only that you can understand how it can be seen by the average person as one.

Assuming you accept the fact that a symbol can be seen sacred by some and profane by others, your opinion seems to be to ignore those who find it profane while in pursuit of commercial gain. The only other option, to eliminate all symbols completely.

Does a hate symbol need to be avoided by the general public because it offends some people whose grandparents died? Disturbingly, I find myself asking, "How many grandparents?"

Are we talking Pol Pot/Joseph Stalin numbers, or one church in Idaho? How does that change the answer?
    I admire your stamina and OSU! (perseverance in the face of overwhelming adversity and pain), but there's not much use in engaging. Or Christ! I could be wrong???? Bentdick will actually think and concede a point or two?
    Wait for next installment!!!
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 2:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a logical fallacy on your part I'm not calling anyone anything, I was asking it as a question.
    Is it really a leap from you saying they're being hateful to calling them haters? Your question wasn't "are they being hateful?". That was already an understood premise when you say "I completely understand why they hate what they hate, but why should I have to be spoon fed their hate??"

The symbol on the gi was in no way meant to represent the Japanese navy of 1940.
    What I should've said is Imperialist Japan. Or is there a different connotation for a red circle centered in a white rectangle with radiating expanding red lines?

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 2:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Is it really a leap from you saying they're being hateful to calling them haters? Your question wasn't "are they being hateful?". That was already an understood premise when you say "I completely understand why they hate what they hate, but why should I have to be spoon fed their hate??"

What I should've said is Imperialist Japan. Or is there a different connotation for a red circle centered in a white rectangle with radiating expanding red lines?
    Anger over personal loss can cause feelings of both hatred and racism, how is this point escaping you??

Do you really think that Hayabusa really had imperialist Japan in mind when they made the gi??

By your logic I should be protesting Mitsubishi motors for selling cars since my grandfather fought against zeros in ww2.

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 3:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anger over personal loss can cause feelings of both hatred and racism, how is this point escaping you??
    I was responding to your logical fallacy claim. What you just said is pretty much my exact point when I mentioned the machine-gunned shopkeep. Hell, I know old Filipinos who hate Muslims because of stuff that went down in the Philippines too. How does this point invalidate what I've been saying?

Do you really think that Hayabusa really had imperialist Japan in mind when they made the gi??
    No, nor do I think GSP had it in mind either.

By your logic I should be protesting Mitsubishi motors for selling cars since my grandfather fought against zeros in ww2.
    Straw man.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 3:35pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    Honestly, what is your problem?
    Just because you have a different mental concept of what force is...
    Oh and here for you, since you like to act all smart
    If we now adapt said concept to the issue at hand... we have the force (as mentioned the cry babies going ... "you are using the rising sun symbol...*butthurt*) acting as the influence on Hayabusa (the object in this analogy) resulting in a change (pulling the design).
    Is that plain enough for you? I would venture to say no and you will now tell me *insert random comment here* ...
    We're not talking physics, so no.

:)

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 5:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not suggesting that it is ancient history, however most of the people on both sides of that conflict are dead.
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
    - George Santayana - Reason in Common Sense, The Life of Reason, Vol.1

But here's the main thing I completely understand why they hate what they hate, but why should I have to be spoon fed their hate??
    I don't think you necessarily need to be spoon fed anything. People object to the commercial use of symbols, that for them, represent unspeakable crimes against humanity. Just because you live in an empire bubble, where nothing seemingly affects you personally, it doesn't behoove other entities to "get over it", when "it" includes rapes, killings, and occupation bred of militant nationalism.
    At what point does their hate turn from justified to just plain racism??
    Well beyond the point at which people take offense to the commercial use of historically racist imagery. We're talking about a war flag here, not any old national flag.
    Is that symbol currently being used to spread hate?? If not then why should I have to be denied its use based on the feelings of people who could give a **** all about my country or feelings??
    Because people the-world-over aren't constrained by your particular threshold for insult.

Zomg, not everyone shares your value standards. It's shocking, really. How dare they speak up! No one should exercise free speech unless they are beholden to your particular temperament.

Shame on them, for caring about history, and symbolism.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 7:25pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    No connection? Christ Colin, this is dumb - I'm totally connected - abuse and torture and murder and lack of acknowledgement etc etc.
    Pat, you're misunderstanding me.

I'm not saying YOU (or insert other person here) have no connection, I'm saying that I HAVE NO CONNECTION which is why it would be improper for me to act outraged. (or anyone else who has no connection)
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 LastLast