Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    3/26/2013 11:06am

Style: BJJ, TKD back in the day

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why are there so many sarcastic remarks about this topic? The rising sun flag is a symbol of imperial Japan and it's navy. They committed horrible atrocities in the name of the emperor while waving the stupid flag. Yea it looks cool but so does the Hakenkreuzflagge, but you don't see your local hipster rockin it on their tshirts. I have no connection to the Holocaust but I'm not going to make flippant and sarcastic remarks about how I'm so happy that those that are offended are happy now that most sane people don't use it for decorating their ****. So, yes I'm happy that this issue has come to light.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends10000 Experience PointsOverdriveTagger First Class

Posted On:
    3/26/2013 11:16am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why isn't the crucifix seen as equally offensive? What about atrocities committed in the name of God (for example, the KKK killing blacks and homosexuals under the cross?)

censorship? sure.. but why the rising sun and not the cross?

pro nonsense self defense

Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Champion

Posted On:
    3/26/2013 11:19am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jinro79 View Post
    Yea it looks cool but so does the Hakenkreuzflagge, but you don't see your local hipster rockin it on their tshirts.
    But hipsters love irony, and its sort of ironic that a gi is one of the few things you can get away with wearing a swastika on without looking hateful.

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    3/26/2013 11:38am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off why are people acting as if Germany and Japan are the only two countries that have ever committed any horrible acts?? And second what exactly is the cutoff for it?? How long is the grudge held??

Titanium laced beauty

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassCreated Album pictures25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    3/26/2013 12:07pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Saying that you have strong emotional feelings about something that you have no connection to is disingenuous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Why isn't the crucifix seen as equally offensive? What about atrocities committed in the name of God (for example, the KKK killing blacks and homosexuals under the cross?)

censorship? sure.. but why the rising sun and not the cross?
    Counterpoint, would you wear a shirt in public with a large Swastika on it? Would you endorse the Nazi's on a public forum?

If you answered no, then why is it hard to understand why someone else from a different culture objects to a different, but equally hated symbol? One that symbolizes a group that perpetuated thousands of war crimes on innocent men, women and children.

I don't know that anyone is asking you to become emotionally vested in this topic. The people that object to the Rising Sun symbol are asking for the same consideration that we afford to people that object to the Swastika.

I have difficulty understanding why some people can't step outside their own cultural shoes to understand that a hate symbol is a hate symbol, regardless of what culture created it.

No one is asking for the Japanese to be prosecuted or persecuted. All they're asking is for a company to refrain from using a design element that symbolizes hate and war crimes. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Titanium laced beauty

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassCreated Album pictures25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    3/26/2013 12:13pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    First off why are people acting as if Germany and Japan are the only two countries that have ever committed any horrible acts?? And second what exactly is the cutoff for it?? How long is the grudge held??
    What are you going on about?

Please demonstrate who is acting this way. Is it because no one is mentioning war atrocities committed by other cultures or nations? Colin brought up the crucifix and the KKK. How about the Crusades? Pol Pot? Joseph Stalin?

We are discussing the Rising Sun emblem. It is natural to draw comparisons to other symbols that signify war crimes, and Nazi occupied Germany occurred around the same time. Please forgive us for being so temporally short sighted.

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    3/26/2013 12:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    What are you going on about?

Please demonstrate who is acting this way. Is it because no one is mentioning war atrocities committed by other cultures or nations? Colin brought up the crucifix and the KKK. How about the Crusades? Pol Pot? Joseph Stalin?

We are discussing the Rising Sun emblem. It is natural to draw comparisons to other symbols that signify war crimes, and Nazi occupied Germany occurred around the same time. Please forgive us for being so temporally short sighted.
    Yes, but my point is that most nations if not all have committed war crimes, even still Japan and Germany still get the most hate. And if you are to censor one, then why not all symbols that offend people. And please tell me which of the people that are complaining about "the rising sun" gi are from a country that has clean hands in respect to war crimes. China?? Korea??

Light Heavyweight

Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsThree Friends

Posted On:
    3/26/2013 12:28pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was flying space-A from Korea to Japan one time. There was a girl who apparently tricked her grandfather into flying to Japan to visit family. We heard the story afterward. When her grandfather stepped off the plane and saw the Japanese flags everywhere, he totally freaked out. He started by yelling at his granddaughter. Then started spitting on the ground. Security showed up and he started to fight with them. Then he broke down crying and fell to his knees. His granddaughter told us that he personally experienced what the Japanese had done during the war.

I would say that his family all the way to his granddaughter who is my age, have an emotional contection through their elders, to this situation. Matter of fact, that was some time aroun 1995 and I still think about it occasionally. So, I think I have an emotional connection to it after watching his grief.

Those people and their families are right to ask that the gi be changed. And Hayabusa was right to remove it.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

pro nonsense self defense

Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Champion

Posted On:
    3/26/2013 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In this case, its a grudge that's held partly because there are living survivors of the atrocities. A shop owner I know hates the Japanese, and one day when we questioned him, he pulled up his shirt and showed us scars from fucking machine gun wounds. So, I'd say its different than hating the Egyptians for what they may have done to the Jews, for example.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    3/26/2013 12:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, but my point is that most nations if not all have committed war crimes, even still Japan and Germany still get the most hate. And if you are to censor one, then why not all symbols that offend people. And please tell me which of the people that are complaining about "the rising sun" gi are from a country that has clean hands in respect to war crimes. China?? Korea??
    There are symbols that have a long history and have been used for lots of good and lots of evil, then there are symbols that have a short history and have been used for evil acts.

It's not about who is more perfect, but about when a symbol has only the horrible history attached to it.

I.E. a cross versus a burning cross.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast