solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 6:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Of course there is. The flag in question isn't the flag of an individual warrior, but of a military. How many defensive wars were fought under that flag? As far as I can tell, Japan was the initiator of the First Sino-Japanese War, the invasion of Taiwan, and the Russo-Japanese war. Japan intervened in the Russian Civil War (regardless of the merits of the primarily belligerents, an intervention in another nation fighting a civil war is not defensive), initiated the Second Sino-Japanese War, and attacked the US in the Second World War. What defensive actions are you even thinking about?
    you're right, japan was particularly aggressive during that period, and my knowledge doesn't go deep enough to know the underlying politics that led to each of those engagements, but i'm sure that many of those in the armed forces felt they were defending their country (soldiers always do.)

japan hasn't invaded anyone in nearly 70 years, and the current forces act in a defensive capacity. there is also very vocal threat coming from north korea right now, as well as from china, so it's hard to argue that a defensive force isn't warranted.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 11:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It not about grand parents being shot, educated yourself google naking baby being bayoneted which was photographed and was done repeatedy over 400,000 murdered so maybe it smart as we as people into japanise karate have alittle sensitivity over a gi ?

Posted On:
    3/30/2013 12:02am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    japan hasn't invaded anyone in nearly 70 years
    Thanks to a world-historic defeat, of course.

and the current forces act in a defensive capacity.
    And again, the rising sun gi wasn't designed to glorify token defense forces, but a warrior spirit. You can't wander back to the claim that's already been refuted.

there is also very vocal threat coming from north korea right now, as well as from china, so it's hard to argue that a defensive force isn't warranted.
    In the vanishingly unlikely case that either North Korea or China moves against Japan, Japan's Self-Defense Forces will be utterly irrelevant to the outcome.

Posted On:
    3/30/2013 2:24am

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The same reason the swastika is not on a gi (its been tried) i am amazed at some casual comments about old people put up against a wall and shot are we that desensitize to death that oh lets not let that get in our way of our mma style? If those wear your granparents you would be crying a different tune

Posted On:
    3/30/2013 8:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks to a world-historic defeat, of course.

And again, the rising sun gi wasn't designed to glorify token defense forces, but a warrior spirit. You can't wander back to the claim that's already been refuted.

In the vanishingly unlikely case that either North Korea or China moves against Japan, Japan's Self-Defense Forces will be utterly irrelevant to the outcome.
    and none of that means that there can't be pride in the symbol of the current armed forces.

i'm not saying that the GSP gi was in good taste, i'm saying that there are times when the rising sun logo is appropriate (like when it is used in the logo for *my* dojo.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    3/30/2013 8:28am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and none of that means that there can't be pride in the symbol of the current armed forces.

i'm not saying that the GSP gi was in good taste, i'm saying that there are times when the rising sun logo is appropriate (like when it is used in the logo for *my* dojo.)
    I agree with you. personally as a graphic designer i really like the gsp gi, i love the Japanese culture, people, ma . I as u understand the history traditions, where as people outside of ma will just connect the flag w the war .

Posted On:
    3/30/2013 10:00am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll find that there is relatively little pride in the symbol of the current armed forces in Japan. There's a reason for that. And that reason is history.

Seems like you're going through a lot of personal permutations to deal with cognitive dissonance.

Posted On:
    3/30/2013 10:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll find that there is relatively little pride in the symbol of the current armed forces in Japan. There's a reason for that. And that reason is history.

Seems like you're going through a lot of personal permutations to deal with cognitive dissonance.
    well, i don't see it that way. show me why i am wrong to train under the rising sun logo, when it's incorporated into the symbol of our parent university.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    3/30/2013 4:50pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, every time I see a kid whose ancestory is from the pacific rim wearing anything with a rising sun flag a little bit inside me died.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Posted On:
    3/31/2013 12:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, i don't see it that way. show me why i am wrong to train under the rising sun logo, when it's incorporated into the symbol of our parent university.
    Why should I do the hard work? You're the one being defensive. I find it exceptionally easy not to train under any ridiculous symbols. If you don't, well, that's on you. Personal responsibility and all that.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213 LastLast