Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 111213 LastLast

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 10:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    We're talking about a war flag here, not any old national flag.
    hold on a second. do you think the US flies a different flag during times of war? the UK? no, they fly their national flags, so during times of war, those *are* war flags too.

japan happens to have a separate war flag in addition to a national flag, but that doesn't make the US flag any less of a war flag.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 11:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post

japan happens to have a separate war flag in addition to a national flag, but that doesn't make the US flag any less of a war flag.
    No, but one can argue fruitfully that like the cross, the US flag has two natures—imperialism, yes; but also personal freedom, individualism, humanitarian aid, etc. A Japanese war flag does not have that second side.

Having said that, I'm not making that argument personally. I am utterly turned off when people drape themselves in the US (or UK) flag, but there is a distinction between a battle flag and a flag that is used in both war and peace.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 3:46am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I find funny about all of this is that NOW there is outrage over the gi but no of the headband he wore for so long THAT SYMBOLIZES THE SAME THING!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 3:55am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    What I find funny about all of this is that NOW there is outrage over the gi but no of the headband he wore for so long THAT SYMBOLIZES THE SAME THING!
    Yeah, but that was colored black. Which makes it completely unrelated.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 4:41am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    As a middle class white man in a first world country, I'm just going to keep my fucking mouth shut when it comes to whether or not Koreans should be upset by a Japanese symbol.

And as contrary as it is to the entire purpose of not only this website, but Internet forums in general, sometimes it's best to just not have an opinion on things.

Bah, who am I kidding... GSP is a weaboo, it was a stupid gi to begin with, and Japan should be shitting bricks over the combination of China's economic ascendancy and their long cultural memory.
    As a middle class black man from a first world nation and lived in both Japan and Korea I say **** 'em especially when I have seen Koreans flying the Confederate flag in GA. Yes Koreans. One being the mother of one of my best friends growing up. She hated us playing NINJA and even threw away some of his NINJA MAGAZINES but was pretty much a redneck herself and had a Confederate flag on the wall.

BTW I have seen Chinese rednecks as well in AL.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 4:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Yeah, but that was colored black. Which makes it completely unrelated.
    Should have known! It always comes down to color!
    ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 8:11am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    No, but one can argue fruitfully that like the cross, the US flag has two natures—imperialism, yes; but also personal freedom, individualism, humanitarian aid, etc. A Japanese war flag does not have that second side.

Having said that, I'm not making that argument personally. I am utterly turned off when people drape themselves in the US (or UK) flag, but there is a distinction between a battle flag and a flag that is used in both war and peace.
    true, but the rising sun is the flag of the armed forces, which existed during times of both war and peace, so it can also stand for the honorable defense of japan (something the japanese navy does today while flying that flag and bravely defending disputed islands from chinese fishermen, who have been duped by their government into getting angry about old grudges rather than think about the corruption in their own country.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 1:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course it exists in time of peace on a level heavily influenced by treaties and geopolitics to remain a very minor part of the Japanese state. It's been counter-imperialized in that usage. Clearly, the symbol is not being associated with GSP because of his tendency to peacefully lean on opponents until the bell rings and the nice referee reminds the poor fellows that they have stools they can rest on as well, but because he's a "warrior" or whatever.

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 3:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Clearly, the symbol is not being associated with GSP because of his tendency to peacefully lean on opponents until the bell rings and the nice referee reminds the poor fellows that they have stools they can rest on as well, but because he's a "warrior" or whatever.
    i think this gets to the heart of the matter in that one can be a warrior and also be a good person. warriors defend as well as attack, depending on the situation.

i had this discussion with my wife in regards to a family katana that was given to us. at first she was not interested in an instrument of violence, but then i reminded her that she should have faith in her ancestors and hope that they used it in defense. it's important to remember that there are legitimate defensive reasons for weapons, as well as a need for a defensive armed force.

my point is that since the meiji restoration, there have been many warriors who served under the banner of the rising sun, and relatively few of them were involved in any atrocities, so is there any reason to make a connection between GSP wearing the rising sun to the small number of japanese warriors who did evil deeds rather than the rest? i mean other than the fact that people get upset, and that happens with lots of flags, as i have pointed out over and over.

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 4:08pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    my point is that since the meiji restoration, there have been many warriors who served under the banner of the rising sun, and relatively few of them were involved in any atrocities, so is there any reason to make a connection between GSP wearing the rising sun to the small number of japanese warriors who did evil deeds rather than the rest?
    Of course there is. The flag in question isn't the flag of an individual warrior, but of a military. How many defensive wars were fought under that flag? As far as I can tell, Japan was the initiator of the First Sino-Japanese War, the invasion of Taiwan, and the Russo-Japanese war. Japan intervened in the Russian Civil War (regardless of the merits of the primarily belligerents, an intervention in another nation fighting a civil war is not defensive), initiated the Second Sino-Japanese War, and attacked the US in the Second World War. What defensive actions are you even thinking about?
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 111213 LastLast