Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bjj Tournaments vs privates/seminars

Do you spend more money on tournaments or seminars/private lessons?

In the long term what do you think is more beneficial to your bjj growth?

The money I've been spending on these tournaments are adding up (fees, gas, supplements). I average 1 competition a month.

I have done one seminar and have never had a private.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ... Join us... or die
    Style
    KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What makes you think those two are mutually exclusive?
    What are your goals for your BJJ?
    Why do you compete?
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjjbjj View Post
    I have done one seminar and have never had a private.
    Your sample size is awfully small when it comes to seminars and privates. Try a few more of both and then make a more informed decision.

Your experience level also matters. A black belt can absorb a lot more information in one sitting than a white belt due to his familiarity with the sport and the techniques. So, if you're a beginner, you won't take away as much from a seminar as someone who is more experienced. This is especially true if the seminar covers anything more than the basics, which most do.

Overall, I'd say privates and tournaments are better choices for beginners. What you get out of privates depends on how well you relate to the instructor. Is it someone who breaks down the concepts in a manner that is easy for you to understand, or do you have difficulty following their instructions?

Tournaments and going to class are probably your safest bet if you're a beginner.

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the reply

Style
    BJJ/Zumba
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're a white belt, compete as much as you can, have someone record it, and review your footage after while drinking. Then review it sober. From there come up with questions or how you think you should solve issues you came across, ask in class when you can, and if not satisfied there, maybe pursue private lesson(s) from there to have those details fixed.

If your goal is to get better at Jits in general and also perform better at comps, I think this is a good approach of tournament and privates. Sending footage to instructor before your private if he wasn't at the comp also would be a great way to have him see things to also work on to help you get better. Also, ask if you can record your private sessions, this will be an invaluable resource for you and you can CONSTANTLY review the items that were covered in the private, like your very own secret instructional set :).

Seminars are also really great, but as JNP said depending on who and level in general for it you will cover a TONNE of **** from basic to quite advanced items depending. A lot of this stuff you might forget as well after the seminar, so bring notes, and could be worth asking if you can both record the seminar (sometimes a bit of a no-no as it's the Instructor makes income from the seminars). So pick and choose for these if it's an amazing BJJ guy you just HAVE to have a seminar and photo with, awesome. But be honest with how much you think you will get out of it because they do add up.
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    compete compete compete compete compete
    Also make sure that you are showing up to as many classes as you can.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Using privates to plug up the holes in your game that are exposed at competition is the way.