Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 7:39pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Muay thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, youtube videos are a great way to learn new things and refine old things.

Tons of good information on there!!! Only a fool would discredit it. Maybe you should try reading a book; Alex. Seems your brain trama is not helping you too much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 7:54pm

Style: Gung Fu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Google Marcelo Garcia - learn BJJ from the best -- okay...then order Insanity for your at home work out -- okay ...after that google Andy Hug, look for the youtube links then watch all his youtube clips - that will take care of your striking department -- ...after that ...you will want to do tons and tons of pullups'...why? to work your lats -- whY? to strengthen your underhooks for preventing lnp wrestlers shoots.

And by the way - this is half bullshit advice half real talk -- didnt jon jones watch a lot of youtube vids? or was that James Thompson?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 8:09pm

Style: HS Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgold44 View Post
    All I said was there are far better things than Judo. Vey hard to throw anybody without that Gi. And it will be extremely hard to throw somebody who is kicking you in the groin or elbowing you in the throat .
    Actually, you can utilize many if not all the throws in judo without a gi with very slight modifications on grip.

I guess the whole room gangs up on me, since they love Judo so much.
    But it's not biased against you nor any style. We love Judo because it works. That's it. We're fine with any other style that also works such as Boxing, Kickboxing/MT, Submission Wrestling of any kind, BJJ, etc.

If you want to see a Judo fighter, look at Randy Couture.

I am sure Alex is one tough MF. That is why I also carry a small gun just in case lol. One in the heart or head and you are done. This is America.
    So what? What are you trying to prove? Why bother learning martial arts? In terms of time and money:actual self-defense, martial arts is extremely inefficient. You're right, if you want to defend yourself, carry a knife or a gun. And if you think you can truly defend yourself against an attacker with one, you are sorely mistaken, not matter what "anti-knife" defenses they may teach you.

Yes, youtube videos are a great way to learn new things and refine old things.

Tons of good information on there!!! Only a fool would discredit it. Maybe you should try reading a book; Alex. Seems your brain trama is not helping you too much.
    The problem is, "knowing" how to do something doesn't mean you CAN do it. I (and most likely the rest of Bullshido) agree with Alex. Youtube videos and books are secondhand sources; they should only be used to supplement your training, not learn a new technique from.

For instance, "How should I position the thumb on an armbar?".
    You can easily find an answer online or from a book about the best way to do it.

Not, "How do I do an armbar?"
    No matter how many videos you watch about landing an armbar, you won't be able to do one against another practicioner.

Along with that, you need resistance. Books and videos will never give you that, no matter how many you look through.

Edit: I am being way too nice for YMAS.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 11:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    If you want to see a Judo fighter, look at Randy Couture.
    I can't edit anymore, but I just realized I put Randy Couture, and idk why. Brainfart there. I meant Ronda Rousey.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2013 12:52pm

Style: Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I said was there are far better things than Judo. Vey hard to throw anybody without that Gi. And it will be extremely hard to throw somebody who is kicking you in the groin or elbowing you in the throat .
    No, what you said was to avoid Judo because it is too complex and causes too many injuries. The reason people jumped on you is because this isn't true, and the entire point of the existence of this forum is to spread truth and discredit/disprove untruths about martial arts.

Like boxing (another favorite on the board) Judo is cheap, effective, and widely available. It is one of many effective martial arts. That is why people like it.

Another one of the things this board has shown time and time again is that nut-shots and throat punches are not the be all end all of self defense. If you kick a judoka (or wrestler, or boxer, or nak muay, or kickboxer, or sambist, etc etc) in the balls, you now just have a REALLY angry person who can drop you on your head at will.

People may have jumped all over you, but hopefully my explanation helps you understand why. If you had said "don't do wrestling" you would have gotten the same response. Don't post based on what you have heard or assumed, post from either personal experience or (even better) cite-able documentation if you want people to take you seriously.

Posted On:
    3/30/2013 1:04pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would go with "angry teenager kung fu", which is my personal favorite for dealing with douchebags.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/road-rag...203947717.html
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2013 6:59pm

Style: BJJ, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BDHall View Post
    Probably the Arlington area.
    I like my gym (obviously) and it may be what you are looking for. Google the Fighters Garage in Falls Church. You can take Krav Maga which will give you the basics of striking, as well as BJJ that is focused on self defense.

Heel Hook Hunter

Posted On:
    3/31/2013 11:25am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Jiu Jitsu | Knife

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BDHall View Post
    I landed a job with the Big 4 in Tyson's Corner. I haven't pinpointed exactly where imam going to live but I was leaning toward northern VA. Probably the Arlington area.
    Fifty/50 is one of the best Jiu Jitsu gyms on the East Coast, with many students & instructors that compete on the international level.

http://5050bjj.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 12:16am

Style: Krav Maga/ Muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HI cuddles??

Can you please tell me more about yourself. In terms of what martial arts you have studied and how long? Thanks. You sound interesting.

From what I read your primary system is Judo. How long have you been doing Judo and what rank do you hold. so you never been injured doing Judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2013 7:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HI cuddles??

Can you please tell me more about yourself. In terms of what martial arts you have studied and how long? Thanks. You sound interesting.
    Sure. I was in a few Mcdojo and Bullshido Karate and Shaolin Wushu styles for longer than I'd care to admit. I don't really consider to have "studied" them as they were so bad.

I practiced Kempo Karate in Norwalk for 3 years (a Z-Ultimate studio) where BJJ was supplementary to the class, as the instructors crosstrained in it. I got first place in their tournament in 2011 and 2012 in both Sparring and Forms in the Youth division. (4 trophies)
    After that, I stopped competing, mainly because of my big head (which also netted me an argument with the head instructor. Yeah, I'm stupid). You're allowed to choose how hard to spar there, so I was shocked when I trained full-contact for the first time there. Prior to this were the Bullshidojos.

I then proceeded to wrestle weekly with the Cerritos High Wrestling team, as a friend from Kempo Karate was in it. (Note, I was a guest from a different high school) I wrestled for a few months, though was unable to continue as my grades dropped.

I practiced mma at All In Martial Arts in Buena Park for a year. (Their mma PROGRAM, not exactly a mma CLASS) I was getting rides from a friend. Unfortunately, because he stopped going, I had to stop as well as I didn't have transportation. During my short stay there, I felt that striking was emphasized too much (though that was mainly due to my friend's ride schedule) and decided to look for a pure grappling system.

I also checked out Babalu's Iron Gym's BJJ program for a week if that counts!

From what I read your primary system is Judo. How long have you been doing Judo and what rank do you hold. so you never been injured doing Judo.
    Hardly. I never said I was training in Judo. Any "Judo" I've learnt was from when I was taught BJJ (in Kempo Karate, within the mma program, at Babalu's, or with the Wrestlers from Cerritos) and the instructor said that it was actually a Judo technique.
    Literally, "We are now learning a Judo takedown."

However, I was the sandbag at both the Kempo Karate studio and mma gym because I could breakfall, was light, and actively resisted being thrown. During the total of 4 years of being thrown, (yes, I was being thrown as a white belt as soon as they found out I could breakfall), I've only sustained one injury on my elbow, and that was because my arms were held as my legs were sweepd meaning that I couldn't breakfall correctly.

I also had a concussion being thrown while sparring because I was so tense (I blame finals week) that when I was thrown, I didn't go with it at all and hit my head on the floor. I recovered without any problems.

I've been thrown on carpet, mats, wood paneling, and even concrete (twice), and received no injuries as long as I breakfalled correctly. Other than perhaps the stinging red hand from slapping out.

In case you're wondering, I am joining Judo as soon as my volleyball season ends and plan to compete.

Hope that answers your questions alright.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast