Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 6:06pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can only back what has been said already. Judo, Boxing, Kyokushin, etc. - All good things, all meet your criteria. Kyokushin is quite nice. I told a kyokushin practitioner, and friend of mine, that I suck at kicking. He taught a few basic kicks from this style and I've yet to change or add to my kicking simply due to lack of need. Judo is effective and, IMHO, just plain fun once you start getting the hang of it and the mechanics of the throws. Yes, you do get hurt, but that seems to be true for most MA if there is reliable training. By that, I mean resistant training. Obviously resistance can get you hurt. And Boxing is, well, boxing. Any amount of research can back boxing, just about. Which, in the end, is what you need to do. Take the suggestions of this thread and do your research, feel the styles out, and pick what appeals most. To you, of course.

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 6:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not give shuai-chaio a try? Nick Masi teaches in Northern Virginia, and as he is attached to the USSA he likely uses a belt system (which is otherwise unusual). It's like judo with short sleeves and some striking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 6:57pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Muay thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I do not do cardio-kickboxing.

However, when I do spar in MT class- we only go light to moderate. You still get hit but nobody gets hurt too bad. So it is pretty safe. Our gym does have a full force sparing day but that is more for the advanced guys and the ones who compete. I stay away from that lol.

I am going to try out BJJ next year I think. Should be fun. My comments on Judo are only based on what friends have told me or what I have read on other boards. Also watching Judo on TV it looks painful.

You can get also alot of good techniques just off Youtube that are very useful like throat chops or web of hand strikes. If they land you can level somebody easily.
    you must be tough to only be 120 pounds and do Judo then.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 8:34pm

Style: Thai Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgold44 View Post

You can get also alot of good techniques just off Youtube that are very useful like throat chops or web of hand strikes. If they land you can level somebody easily.
    When you start saying things like this, you give people the impression that you're full of ****, and spouting second hand information on things you don't know about is how you become like erezb. Don't be like erezb.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 8:45pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would avoid Judo. It seems to be the most complex and injury prone martial art around. Unless you are really stocky and strong built you will get banged up. Even being stock well get you injured too.
    Judo is actually pretty simple. Most of the techniques are simple to implement once you understand the basic throws. What makes it difficult is learning the awareness and sensitivity that is required to pull those techniques off on someone who is as good (if not better) than you and is resisting. And that is not so much a complex task as it is something that requires time, dedication, and hard work.

Can you get hurt doing Judo? Of course... you are learning to fight. Any fighting style worth its salt has the ability to injure practitioners. It probably has a higher injury rate than BJJ, but I don't know for sure.

Also, if you do Muay Thai, but think BJJ is too dangerous... you are doing Muay Thai wrong. I would much rather have a slightly tweaked elbow from not tapping, or some gi-burn from practicing chokes than brain damage from getting punched, kicked, elbowed, and kneed in the head.

Do more research before you spout your knowledge. Don't be sophomoric.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 8:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!

However, when I do spar in MT class- we only go light to moderate. You still get hit but nobody gets hurt too bad. So it is pretty safe. Our gym does have a full force sparing day but that is more for the advanced guys and the ones who compete. I stay away from that lol.

I am going to try out BJJ next year I think. Should be fun. My comments on Judo are only based on what friends have told me or what I have read on other boards. Also watching Judo on TV it looks painful.

if you dont have anything worth saying then dont say it. you know jack **** about judo yet feel like you can talk with authority to a newbie on the subject. you cant. shut the **** up. you dont box, and you apparently only do tippy tap muay thai, so you have no idea about that either. so shut the **** up. you think watching youtube videos is a good way to learn stuff, so shut the **** up.

in short-

Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 9:14am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Judo, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP

I'd definitely check out a BJJ school. Many of them have supplemental striking classes (sometimes for a few extra bucks/month, sometimes included) that can help you with some basic striking.

As you will read pretty much everywhere on this site, finding a school that stresses "aliveness" is more important than what MA is being taught.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 9:56am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would avoid Judo. It seems to be the most complex and injury prone martial art around. Unless you are really stocky and strong built you will get banged up. Even being stock well get you injured too.

Akido and TWD tend to be silly and will not work much in real life.

Why dont you try out Krav Maga. Good overall systems that does not nothing great but gives you a solid defense. Teach more practicle strikes like Groin kicks, palm strikes and hammer fists and elbows. Teach defense against common chokes and grabs and bear hugs. Plus you get basic weapon defense in the advanced class. Overall good system.

Also can try Boxiing but many classes tend to cater to more hardcore sparing which can lead to brain problems.
    Muay Thai and BJJ are also good. However, some BJJ classes can be very dangerous and injury prone so i would find a good beg. class.

Grapplers do not mess around and take their stuff seriously lol.
    I'm going to say this in a nicer manner than Alex, but please realize that he and I are telling you the same thing.

Judo is the number one recommended martial art on this website. Would you like to know what the most valuable skill Judo teaches all beginners? How to fall. Knowing how to breakfall properly has literally saved lives. I'm telling you this to give you some perspective on why we so readily recommend Judo.

Headgear is typically worn when sparring in boxing. Not to mention, at any decent boxing gym a beginner will punch various bags and mitts for some time before ever sparring. A hobbyist that trains boxing doesn't have to worry about brain trauma as much as an amateur or professional competitor. Considering that it's most likely that the OP will never step into the boxing ring, I see no reason not to recommend boxing as well.

While it is true that training BJJ can lead to injury, it is probably the lowest impact combat sport. Striking can often be quite chaotic even between two skilled kickboxers. Throwing someone to the ground is also a chaotic process. Gravity is a harsh mistress.

There is no "tapping out" in the middle of a throw or a punch. Sure, you can tap after you get hit or thrown, but you can't stop those movements in the middle of the motion like you can when you're on the ground. Hence, my opinion that BJJ is among the safer combat sports.

The downside to BJJ is that it doesn't usually teach a beginner how to get a person to the ground in the first place. You can be the greatest grappler on the planet, but if you can't take your opponent down, what good does it do you?

That's another reason why we like Judo. It teaches a person how to throw them down and control or submit them once on the ground. It covers two ranges, standing-throwing and ground, versus BJJ.

Edit: Rivington's suggestion of Shuai-chaio is also an excellent choice as it includes both striking and throwing.
    Last edited by jnp; 3/28/2013 10:00am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 10:21am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was in grade school I fought more than most kids ( boy named sue type thing). I made something like a little jerk ammy career out of beating up TKD and Karate kids. I even remember beating up a black belt in like the third or fourth grade. Figured I was pretty bad ass. Until I fought one of a set of twins who were wrestlers. I knew after that wrestlers were by FAR the toughest and usually meanest fighters. The reason is they know how to put someone on the ground and stay dominant.
    Moral of the story. Go do Judo.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 10:26am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BDHall View Post
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post so I do apologize if I have posted this in the wrong place. I recently decided to take up some form of martial arts. At first I was looking in to Taekwondo but it seems to have a generally negative reputation so I looked elsewhere. I have to say I have overwhelmed with all of the options. I have a short and probably naive list of what I am looking for:

-Some sort of ranking system (belt system?)
    -Physically challenging and mentally rewarding
    -Practical (i.e. can I use this if I were mugged or found myself in a dangerous situation)

As I said, short list. I am a senior in college and will be moving to the D.C. area after I graduate so I am assuming there will be many more options there than my current place of residence.

I am impartial as to whether the martial art is grappling focused or sparring focused. I would enjoy competing in organized play, though my main motive is self defense.

I am excited an motivated to learn something new, especially something that could be applicable to certain situations in the future. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Thanks!
    Where in the DC area are you moving?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast