Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 1:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help me pick a martial art!

Hello everyone,

This is my first post so I do apologize if I have posted this in the wrong place. I recently decided to take up some form of martial arts. At first I was looking in to Taekwondo but it seems to have a generally negative reputation so I looked elsewhere. I have to say I have overwhelmed with all of the options. I have a short and probably naive list of what I am looking for:

-Some sort of ranking system (belt system?)
    -Physically challenging and mentally rewarding
    -Practical (i.e. can I use this if I were mugged or found myself in a dangerous situation)

As I said, short list. I am a senior in college and will be moving to the D.C. area after I graduate so I am assuming there will be many more options there than my current place of residence.

I am impartial as to whether the martial art is grappling focused or sparring focused. I would enjoy competing in organized play, though my main motive is self defense.

I am excited an motivated to learn something new, especially something that could be applicable to certain situations in the future. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 1:32pm

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would suggest you try out some or all of the following and then settle for which one you like best:
    - Judo
    - BJJ
    - MT
    - Boxing
    - (MMA)
    - (KK)

Those are all tried and true. There are other arts out there, with varying quality of instruction and aliveness (a big issue!).
    Others will come here and post more suggestions. Take them for what they are... suggestions ... go and try what you like.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you like about the idea of a belt system?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 3:16pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of martial arts fit your second and third criteria. But for those that fit those and the belt criteria, I would recommend Judo, BJJ, or Kyokushin Karate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 3:38pm

Style: MMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Savate would fit your requirements. Instead of a coloured belt system the ranking is done by coloured gloves.

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 4:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    What do you like about the idea of a belt system?
    I like the idea of a belt system because it establishes a clearly define goal. Like you have to do x plus y to get a promotion.

In theory it would seem to be more satisfying once a new rank is achieved. But I don't have martial arts experience so that may not be the way to go!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 4:49pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BDHall View Post
    I like the idea of a belt system because it establishes a clearly define goal. Like you have to do x plus y to get a promotion.

In theory it would seem to be more satisfying once a new rank is achieved. But I don't have martial arts experience so that may not be the way to go!
    Well, the belt is only as satisfying as the importance you assign to it. I find that arts without belts are actually a little better about setting real goals, because the belt isn't as important. Goals like being able to lift X lbs or compete in a competition at a certain date. These are the sorts of goals that must be measured by real metrics, not custom ones made for art X. Or, over time you may come to realize that only the goals you define for yourself are really important to you. At any rate, chasing belts is something that tends to lose its appeal more and more as you become more experienced. Your mileage may vary.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 4:51pm

Style: Getting less fat

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo and BJJ and Kyokushin Karate all have a belt ranking system, and will teach you to fight. KK is a striking art, while Judo and BJJ are both grappling arts.

If you want to kick and punch somebody, Kyokushin is for you. If you want to bounce people off the planet and bend their limbs in ways they weren't meant to bend, judo or bjj.

Judo focuses more on the bouncing thing, BJJ more on the twisting thing.

Achieving rank in these arts is not easy, you have to prove yourself.
    Last edited by bombom; 3/25/2013 4:53pm at . Reason: paragraph to make it a little easier to read

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 5:35pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Muay thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would avoid Judo. It seems to be the most complex and injury prone martial art around. Unless you are really stocky and strong built you will get banged up. Even being stock well get you injured too.

Akido and TWD tend to be silly and will not work much in real life.

Why dont you try out Krav Maga. Good overall systems that does not nothing great but gives you a solid defense. Teach more practicle strikes like Groin kicks, palm strikes and hammer fists and elbows. Teach defense against common chokes and grabs and bear hugs. Plus you get basic weapon defense in the advanced class. Overall good system.

Also can try Boxiing but many classes tend to cater to more hardcore sparing which can lead to brain problems.
    Muay Thai and BJJ are also good. However, some BJJ classes can be very dangerous and injury prone so i would find a good beg. class.

Grapplers do not mess around and take their stuff seriously lol.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 6:06pm

Style: HS Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgold44 View Post
    I would avoid Judo. It seems to be the most complex and injury prone martial art around. Unless you are really stocky and strong built you will get banged up. Even being stock well get you injured too.
    Your style field says KM and MT, so you've never grappled. Yes, Judo can be dangerous, but as long as you breakfall well, you'll be fine. Injuries occur when you breakfall incorrectly. Also, I was being thrown around all the time without a mat in my old mma gym when I was only at 120lbs, and didn't get hurt at all.

And a newer person won't be thrown all the time. On the contrary, he'd probably be taken down less and instead spend his time doing breakfalls. And breakfalls. And more breakfalls.

Why dont you try out Krav Maga. Good overall systems that does not nothing great but gives you a solid defense. Teach more practicle strikes like Groin kicks, palm strikes and hammer fists and elbows. Teach defense against common chokes and grabs and bear hugs. Plus you get basic weapon defense in the advanced class. Overall good system.

Also can try Boxiing but many classes tend to cater to more hardcore sparing which can lead to brain problems.
    Muay Thai and BJJ are also good. However, some BJJ classes can be very dangerous and injury prone so i would find a good beg. class.

Grapplers do not mess around and take their stuff seriously lol.

The reason why boxing is good is because it's a style that consistently spars with resistance. And if boxing is streetworthy, that means punching is. So why are palm strikes more "practical"? If you really want to get "practical", learn to grapple. There's no such thing as a lucky punch catching you when you're grappling, and you're able to force your opponent into your game.Are you suggesting that full-contact sparring is overly dangerous? It sounds like you may be in a "Cardio Kickboxing" class for MT and one of those not-so-good KM classes.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.bullshido.org/Finding_a_good_martial_arts_school
    There is a conflict in the United States between the Krav Maga instructors like Rhon Mizrachi and Eyal Yanilov who learned the system in the Israeli army, and Darren Levine who learned Krav as a civilian through the Wingate Institute in Israel. We'll skip the politics, but needless to say, Levine typically licenses American Martial Arts studio owners to teach Krav after an abbreviated if intense series of week long courses in Los Angeles before they return to their home school. That being the case, the KMAA instructor in your hometown could have a decade in the art, or have just spent a week or two in LA. You want to avoid the latter. There also seems to be high turnover in the KMAA ranks with a number of schools joining and then dropping the Krav program. For that reason you also want to avoid the brand new Krav Schools.
    And that grappling is more dangerous than standup? On the contrary. With grappling, you can choose to stop at any time. Let that sink in a little. You can stop at ANY time. Meaning even if you just feel claustrophobic, you can easily stop the roll session by tapping. Thus, it's very safe unless you're purposely trying to "man up" through the submission. In which case demonstrates Natural Selection at work.

On the other hand, a well timed (lucky) kick or hook to the head can easily give you a concussion or other forms of damage, especially if you aren't expecting it.

And I don't see why you need to be taught how to groin kick or hammer fist. I used to hammer fist as a kid, but we called it windmill arms. And it's much harder than it seems to land a clean elbow in. Unless you, oh I don't know, know how to grapple and secure a dominant position.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast