Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/24/2013 11:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo Tum-Pai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Nails and Punching

I've played guitar for most of my life, and I'm getting into playing classical stuff. The problem is, classical guitar requires your right hand nails to be grown out to hit the strings. This obviously causes problems with punching, so my question is; Is there any type of modified punching form that is still safe (for my hand/wrist) and effective at delivering power? Or is it just a matter of keeping my nails at the minimum length?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 12:00am

Style: HS Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephM View Post
    I've played guitar for most of my life, and I'm getting into playing classical stuff. The problem is, classical guitar requires your right hand nails to be grown out to hit the strings. This obviously causes problems with punching, so my question is; Is there any type of modified punching form that is still safe (for my hand/wrist) and effective at delivering power? Or is it just a matter of keeping my nails at the minimum length?
    I play guitar too and used to have cuts on my hand. But that was mainly because I was too lazy to cut it.

If you're really into the fingerpicking style of guitar (with a bright tone, no nails produces a warmer tone), then cut your nails and buy yourself some finger picks. I would suggest a plastic one instead of a metal one as metal tends to scrape and wear your strings out, and if you're using a coated string such as an Elixir, you'll go straight through the first few layers.
    (Edit: It only wears your strings out if it's the undernail version. The one that's placed under the pad of your fingers tend to be less abrasive.)

The other option (to keep a bright tone) is to use Steel strings. However, if you do so, you'll need to be careful as steel strings tend to cut indentations into guitar frets.

One thing I personally HATE is the use of thumb picks, which, imho, gives off bad form to the user in the cases you don't have picks. I only believe in fingerpicks.

And in case you want suggestions, my favorite fingerpicks are Alaska Pik. They're extremely fragile but produce a beautiful sound and feel great, so I don't recommend them for a beginner.
    Last edited by Cuddles; 3/25/2013 12:07am at .

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 3:07am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even with modified punching if you get into a real scrap your fingernails will get cheesed up if they are to long.
    (Mine certainly do)

So if you can jam them is a set of gloves that is about as good as you can get
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts