223503 Bullies, 3723 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 3:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Devil I am not to sure if the start age is so important.
    One day at Judo this old man came in and kicked all our asses, turns out at the time he was considered among the best in the Srs division in the world.
    I had a chance to talk to him and he didn't start doing Judo till he was in his 40s still gave him 30 years of practice.
    I think it really comes down to being willing to train insistently and smart, more so than an early start.
    What does tend to develop early of course is that drive to be good at what ever it is that they are doing.

My buddy Henry got Silver at the PanAms in bown belt this weekend. He isn't sitting around rejoicing that he did so well, no he is pissed at himself for not getting gold and is evaluating what he did wrong and is already back to work on fixing the little things that where the difference between gold and silver.

Its that sort of drive that separates winners from the rest.
    Actually, I don't think starting age is that much of a factor, although younger is better. I think quality and intensity early on in the endeavor is a factor.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 3:34pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    How do I fail? Because you say so?
    Now you're learning. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

And you fail at reading. I didn't say he who starts out first will have more success. Re-read my first post in this thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 7:22pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it would definitely come down to the mindset of the individual in order to persevere and succeed through unwavering determination

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 7:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Talent is essential.

But talent is also more widely distributed than one might think.

Training is decisive.

I teach a creative skill—fiction writing—and there are just some people who will never ever be writers, and there are some people who already are writers. Most people have some potential to become writers (that's talent), and they can succeed to the extent that they read very widely, read very deeply, and write frequently. Then the only real obstacles are their own egos, and the vagaries of the publishing industry. But most people who deserve to be published get published, and most who don't deserve to be published don't—or don't for very long anyway.

It's the same in sport. Train a lot, pick the right sport (blues vs. metal, short fiction vs. novels), and you'll do at least fairly well—silver medaling, midlist author, etc.

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 7:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You want sercet to true ultimate power?

You want strength to kill man with bear hands?

You want true ninja magic?

Everyting you need to know is in this classified top secret instructional video. Copy these moves. If done correctly, no can defense.

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 6:49am

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    It's the same in sport. Train a lot, pick the right sport (blues vs. metal, short fiction vs. novels), and you'll do at least fairly well—silver medaling, midlist author, etc.
    Agree with your post entirely, one issue, the last bit... we are not talking about being good or in the top 10% we are talking about 6 sigma class people!

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 12:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    I teach a creative skill—fiction writing—and there are just some people who will never ever be writers
    This particular nugget is always interesting to me.
    How many of these people that will never ever be want to be?
    I have always found that anyone (of average intelligence and ability) is capable of learning anything as long as they really want to learn it and are willing to put in the time and effort. Some people will need to put in a LOT more time and effort than other people. So someone who may not be a talented writer could become one if they where willing to become wide read, familiar with the tropes, engage in activities that require them to be creative and of course start putting pen to paper every night.

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 5:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    Agree with your post entirely, one issue, the last bit... we are not talking about being good or in the top 10% we are talking about 6 sigma class people!
    No, we were talking about them. Then the conversation shifted.

As far as the extreme outliers, in sports, as there is direct competition under constrained and arbitrary rule sets, it's likely due to minute but decisive genetic differences. In other fields, it's likely a set of coincidences.

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 6:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only those who care about greatness (define that however you wish) become great.

The proof is that they become great.

Those who don't give a **** about greatness do not become great.

The proof is that they do not become great.

Others may pretend they care but don't really. They may make a big show out of this pretence--training or whatever--in order to impress others; however, they're still only pretending and thus never become great.

The proof, that they have no real wish for greatness, is that they do not become great.

EDIT: Prove me wrong. Best of luck.
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 3/28/2013 6:51pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 6:56pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Only those who care about greatness (define that however you wish) become great.

The proof is that they become great.

Those who don't give a **** about greatness do not become great.

The proof is that they do not become great.

Others may pretend they care but don't really. They may make a big show out of this pretence--training or whatever--in order to impress others; however, they're still only pretending and thus never become great.

The proof, that they have no real wish for greatness, is that they do not become great.

EDIT: Prove me wrong. Best of luck.
    This sounds like Schrodinger's Fighter.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast