Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2013 12:13am

Style: Judo/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Concussions *rant maybe*

About 3 months ago I had the pleasure of getting thrown on my head. My 3rd concussion in my life. Was told I got thrown with something like a suplex. I don't remember a fucking thing except going in for (possibly the weakest ever) Ogoshi. Next thing I know I'm flat on my back with a train horn in my ears and everything looked like a strobe light through a colidescope. My first reaction was, "Oh ****! I broke my neck!" I sat up and looked around and eventually realized I was in Judo and had just got thrown. I tried to stand up I guess and don't remember doing it, but remember being a few feet away from where I was on my back, but on my knees. Someone asked me, "do you know where you are?" for some damned reason that pissed me the hell off and I snapped, "Yeah, I know where I am!" I remember after I regained my vision people were just looking at me and Sensei looked like he just saw a ghost.

Anyway, here I am 3 months later still ate the **** up. I got over the dizziness and the zombies, regained my motor skill, and regained most of my equilibrium, except a couple days this week I woke up with vertigo that lasted about 4 hours. Thursday I thought I had my first symptom free day, until, doing uchikomi and had to count in Japanese. Half way through all the damned words were in my head at the same time and I couldn't remember which one went where. So, in front of everyone, I had to say, "I forgot".

My wife tells me I've been acting like an asshole lately. I've noticed that I'm getting pissed off at damned near everything, and my emotions are running crazy. Seriously, a vet told me about something they did to a rat in Iraq and I felt like crying. No ****! I'm getting pissed off at everything, even little things.

I almost quit Judo twice because I'm blowing things out of perportion. I can't do simple math and I'm a math guy! It's frustrating! I seem normal, but, I'm ate the **** up in the head now. People at work still expect me to excel and I fail. I'm up for a promotion but can't even keep things straight and I'm looking like a fucktard all the time. I try to explain to people that I had a brain injury and they look at me like I'm full of it and still expect me to be normal. It's like, people think a concussion is no big deal.

One day I tried to get something from a vending machine. I must've stood there for 5 minutes. All the numbers and letters looked like greek. I recognized them but didn't know what the **** they were. At first I laughed all this off. But, now, 3 months later, I'm having emotional bullshit. Anxiety is through the roof!

I can't watch MMA, in class I have panic attacks and extreme fear when I see people get thrown. Hell, I tried to explain the difference in Yuko and Wazari to a kids parent during a tournament the other day and just realized I wasn't making any sense. On top of all this, the past 2 weeks my back is killing me. From the base of my skull to the middle of my back is brutal, advil doesn't help, asperin doesn't help, so I started drinking again. Which is stooped. I hate drinking, but it actually kills the pain.

So, now, I'm worried I'm going to turn into a drunk, and I'm worried I won't be normal and have to quit Judo. How did/do you guys deal with concussion issues?

I'm going to England for a couple weeks April 4 and will see a quack after.
    Last edited by Sorekara; 3/24/2013 12:16am at . Reason: Can't figure out how to post right.

Posted On:
    3/24/2013 12:37am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ........why have you and the people around you not forced you to get a doctor / hospital check? Something more serious could be lurking.

SERIOUS
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2013 1:00am

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, you need to go to a doctor right away and get checked for CTE.

Don't spar. Don't do any training. Hold off on any judo until your doctor takes a look at you.

This is not something you want to **** around with.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/24/2013 4:12am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CTE:
    http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/cont...in.aws307.full

CTE is clinically associated with symptoms of irritability, impulsivity, aggression, depression, short-term memory loss and heightened suicidality that usually begin 810 years after experiencing repetitive mild traumatic brain injury (McKee et al., 2009).
    Yeah, quit typing and go see a doctor.

Posted On:
    3/24/2013 7:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Worst case of Concussion I've ever read about. Yes, I've been concussed a few times (I'm accident prone) but never like that.

Doctor. Now. REST. Now. Get better first before you go back to training. The Class will still be there when you've Recovered - but leave that until you get the advice of your doctor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2013 1:43pm

Style: being a fatty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A little rule I learned from my last sensei: If you get hit hard enough to see stars, go see a doctor. Dizzy is fine, stars are not.

Of course, no one (meaning ME) followed this rule when we (read, I) got concussed. Twice in the same day with the same sparring partner too.
    (One was a kick straight up my jaw, knocked me out cold. I forgot where I was. Once I slightly regained myself, the next came when he caught my kick and threw me on my head. I was so into the fight and my next strike that I didn't slap out and then everything was black. Not remembering your own name is the strangest thing ever.)

However, with lasting effects like yours, listen to the random internetz and go see a doctor. I'd think it'd be common sense, but after brain injury, I suppose common sense would seem illogical. Best of luck with recovery mate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2013 1:56pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy ****, man.

I've been concussed twice before but nothing so bad.

Uh-oh, kind makes me worry about strike three.

HANG IN THERE BRO! SEE A NEUROLOGIST! YESTERDAY!

Good luck.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/24/2013 2:54pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    A little rule I learned from my last sensei: If you get hit hard enough to see stars, go see a doctor. Dizzy is fine, stars are not.
    Seriously, dizziness is no longer fine. Your sensei gave you old school advice. Now, a concussion can occur with only one symptom.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2013 3:05pm

Style: being a fatty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Seriously, dizziness is no longer fine. Your sensei gave you old school advice. Now, a concussion can occur with only one symptom.
    Well now I know!
    Thanks for the info.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/24/2013 7:39pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Went and had x-rays today. Nothing's fractured in my spine. Thankfully! Got some muscle relaxers, not taking away the pain, but, still being able to relax is great! I guess I'll ask my wife to make me an appointment for a Neurologist Monday.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast