Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 11:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stand- in-base as a setup

I've been focusing on tailoring my jiu jitsu for mma/self defense more recently, and one of the setups that has been extremely successful is using "Standing-in-base" (from now on SIB).

Here's the video I put together that addresses some of the common reactions to guys blocking your attempt to SIB.

Attempt to stand in base they bull rush you-> push knee to guillotine or triangle.

Attempt to stand in base they grab your leg near knee-> omoplata

Attempt to stand in base they grab your ankle-> butterfly hook, grab triceps, pull head down, sweep.

Discuss? Anyone see another option to counter the SIB?
    Last edited by DKJr; 3/22/2013 11:24pm at .

Posted On:
    3/23/2013 12:30am

Style: MMA, Yoga

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    I've been focusing on tailoring my jiu jitsu for mma/self defense more recently, and one of the setups that has been extremely successful is using "Standing-in-base" (from now on SIB).

Here's the video I put together that addresses some of the common reactions to guys blocking your attempt to SIB.

Attempt to stand in base they bull rush you-> push knee to guillotine or triangle.

Attempt to stand in base they grab your ankle-> butterfly hook, grab triceps, pull head down, sweep.

Caught a brown and purple belt with this chain today, very effective.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    3/23/2013 12:31am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    Caught a brown and purple belt with this chain today, very effective.
    Money, which did you hit?

Posted On:
    3/23/2013 2:59am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Money, which did you hit?
    The guillotine and the triangle (brown managed to escape the sub though). I also tried the butterfly sweep off the foot grab but obviously have not drilled it enough and majorly screwed up the arm control.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    3/23/2013 4:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah it's an elegant solution, I'm going to explore some more counters that might be simpler.

Posted On:
    3/24/2013 4:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    The guillotine and the triangle (brown managed to escape the sub though). I also tried the butterfly sweep off the foot grab but obviously have not drilled it enough and majorly screwed up the arm control.
    BTW one thing I didn't emphasize on the video with the guillotine is that the leg not on their hip need to scoot your butt back so that your shoulders are over your hip line.

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 9:53am

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice video and I don't want to be the guy who comes with all the "What if"s...
    At 0:20, what stops the guy from either rolling his right shoulder inside, against your knee, moving your leg across his middle line and pass to your left? Or he could wrap your left leg behind the calf and clasp his hands under your right knee and move to the pass.
    Also how would you prevent an ankle pick when you are based on your hand and about to step back?

Posted On:
    3/26/2013 11:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    Nice video and I don't want to be the guy who comes with all the "What if"s...
    At 0:20, what stops the guy from either rolling his right shoulder inside, against your knee, moving your leg across his middle line and pass to your left? Or he could wrap your left leg behind the calf and clasp his hands under your right knee and move to the pass.
    Also how would you prevent an ankle pick when you are based on your hand and about to step back?
    Nah I enjoy and specifically asked for what ifs.

Specifically regarding your question about shucking the right shoulder to smash the knee. Hmm I'll have to mess around with it as it maybe more prudent to NOT escape your knee, as this would prevent that shoulder smash.

The second question is the collar tie to prevent the low single/ankle pick. That down and inside pressure on their head makes it super hard for them to capitalize on that leg,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 2:09am

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Well first of all the only time I would place my head on your stomach would be when you are throwing punches to may face in that case I would wrist hook both of your arms near your biceps or would cup your arm pits which would prevent you from punching my face or grabbing by head. If we were sparring free style then I would be postured and not have my head down by your stomach. I also never pass the guard from my knees neither. Good moves though.