Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 11:53pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go lift heavy things then, and you should be golden.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/04/2013 1:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmH View Post
    I'll try and point out something that people usually don't talk about. Some just don't know about it, others avoid the topic because it can sound incredibly discouraging. What I'm talking about is: Genetics.

There are people who will never be good at certain things despite training/stuying a lot. We all have these guys at class that just don't advance at fast as others or or even don't advance at all, even tho they're trying as hard as everyone else is. The same thing goes for the development of your physique. I'm not saying "You can't so don't try." I'm just saying there are people (and you may or may not be one of them) who will NEVER develop these v-cuts. No matter how hard they work, no matter how well they eat and sleep, they just won't.

Of course working out will do you good in general, but genetics are the major factor in your development. We all know these guys who are in good shape, got decent stamina and strength, but they will always look at least kind of "fatty-ish" (same thing with people like me, who will always be rather skinny compared to the average athlete).

I have only been in Martial Arts for about 3 years by now, but I have gone through hard physical conditioning in all kinds of ways during the last decade, and I met people of all different body-types. Most of them had to face the fact that they will never look like the fitnessmodels they wanted to be, no matter how hard they try, and then had to make the decision whether they wanted to keep pushing their limits or just give up.

The point I'm trying to make is: Don't hunt after anything (be it looks, skills or whatever) that someone else has. Instead, get the best out of the package you got and check in with yourself from time to time to see if you're still on the right track.
    Yeah, even back when I was walking around at 5 or 6% body fat or less, I never had a six pack. My obliques were very cut and large (from judo and genetics...my mom and dad both have the same "shape".)

I was training 6 days a week, judo/weights/running with tons of ab exercises. Never had the "classic" look.

My two boys (8 and 9) both have six packs (low body fat/and I guess genetics from their Mom, LOL!).

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2013 5:04pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Personal satisfaction.
    I want to be the best I can in all areas I feel like I can be successful in. I also feel that getting more fit will help me in my MA career, which is a big thing because, time-permitting, I want to try to fight amateur.

Not to mention: Who doesn't want an awesome body?

I have a 6pack and v showing, but it's mainly due to me being so lean than actually having any muscle mass at all. I'm a skinny bastard. I was hoping to make it more defined with added mass.
    To perform in sports you don't need to be lean. Fit isn't the same as lean. Arguably the best MMA fighter, Fedor is quite chubby, and he moves like a middleweight.

In fact, some fat is actually good for your performance because you'll be eating well.

Going below 10% is counterproductive to performance in my opinion, if you're not genetically gifted you'll have to starve yourself, which is bad for performance. The guy in the picture you posted is at most 8%.

Carving your body like a sculpture, perfectly symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing; that is the art of bodybuilding. It has nothing to do with being "fit".

But yes, there is a middle ground where you will look good naked and also perform well.

I'm trying to find it too.

Don't worry about this **** man, if you want to add some muscle you can start a strength program, will help your fighting like nothing you've ever tried before.
    Last edited by Mister; 4/04/2013 5:07pm at .

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 12:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    To perform in sports you don't need to be lean. Fit isn't the same as lean. Arguably the best MMA fighter, Fedor is quite chubby, and he moves like a middleweight.

In fact, some fat is actually good for your performance because you'll be eating well.

Going below 10% is counterproductive to performance in my opinion, if you're not genetically gifted you'll have to starve yourself, which is bad for performance. The guy in the picture you posted is at most 8%.

Carving your body like a sculpture, perfectly symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing; that is the art of bodybuilding. It has nothing to do with being "fit".

But yes, there is a middle ground where you will look good naked and also perform well.

I'm trying to find it too.

Don't worry about this **** man, if you want to add some muscle you can start a strength program, will help your fighting like nothing you've ever tried before.
    Getting below 10% does not mean starving onesself, although that might depend on body type. Some guys walk around below 10% and eat like horses and don't really train. They are called "ectomorphs".

10% was not a problem for me. At one point I was 42 years old and at 7%, 147 lbs at 5'7" tall.

It was more a matter of training a lot and eating healthy food.

I agree that it's not necessary to look like a body builder to be an effective athlete.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 2:02pm

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought the ectomorph/endomorph theory was shot down long ago. Where's TheRuss when you need him?

At any rate, you need to be below 10% BF for those abs to show and for most people maintaining that low BF is a bitch. If you like being on a diet all the time, go for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 2:15pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    I thought the ectomorph/endomorph theory was shot down long ago. Where's TheRuss when you need him?

At any rate, you need to be below 10% BF for those abs to show and for most people maintaining that low BF is a bitch. If you like being on a diet all the time, go for it.
    Not so cure on your 10% body fat number. I recall a thread (I think on the Starting Strength forum) that was "What does 12% body fat look like". There were people from anywhere between 20% and 5% body fat with visible abs. So, it depends a lot on genetics. I will have to find the thread back so I am not just spouting contradictory crap.

If the OP eats real clean (choose your favorite clean eating diet... there are loads of them) and lifts heavy, he should be able to reach his goals.

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 2:22pm

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    Not so cure on your 10% body fat number.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle McDonald
    While there is some variance, on average a male will need to have a body fat percentage below 10% to have visible abdominals (i.e. the much coveted 6-pack) and get rid of their love handles. Unless a woman is genetically blessed, her legs may carry a lot of fat until she hits the 15% range (or so), although she’ll usually have abdominals showing at that level.
    Above info from bodyrecomposition.com
    If the OP eats real clean (choose your favorite clean eating diet... there are loads of them) and lifts heavy, he should be able to reach his goals.
    I don't think clean matters so much as burning more calories than you eat. If you want to reach ridiculously low levels you can find advice on McDonald's site, they provide protocols of diet and exercise for body-builder types.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 2:57pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Getting below 10% does not mean starving onesself, although that might depend on body type. Some guys walk around below 10% and eat like horses and don't really train. They are called "ectomorphs".

10% was not a problem for me. At one point I was 42 years old and at 7%, 147 lbs at 5'7" tall.

It was more a matter of training a lot and eating healthy food.

I agree that it's not necessary to look like a body builder to be an effective athlete.

Ben
    I think it does mean eating below maintenance, for many people. Body somatypes are bullshit.

The thing is you might not know that you're starving yourself. Maybe starving is too dramatic a word, let's just call it eating below maintenance.

For example a hypothetical 200lb athlete might perform fine and feel fine eating 3000 calories per day because he's been eating that way his entire life and has become acclimated to it.

But that's not nearly enough for someone that trains everyday with high intensity.

Little does said athlete know that he would feel even BETTER if he ate 4000.

This is just an example. My point is most people don't know that they're not eating enough. Eating speeds up your recovery and makes you feel more energetic (the general you), which has an impact on performance, obviously, and bodyfat.

But I suck at nutrition maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 3:01pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    ... or switch to a keto diet, and eat just fine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2013 8:00pm

Style: HS Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    ... or switch to a keto diet, and eat just fine.
    Do keto diets actually work? Fats have higher calories than carbs and I heard that low carb diets were unhealthy.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast