Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 9:58pm

Style: being a fatty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Secret to 6 pack and V-cut?

Also known as the Swimmer's cut, what is the secret to getting the muscle shape known as a marking for being at the epitome of fitness?

Is it just being lean? Or are there certain workouts that help emphasize those muscle groups?

(What are the best exercises for safely working out the back with weights? My dad is getting me a gym pass very soon.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 11:20pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its mostly being lean. Doing ab exercises will, of course, make your abs stronger and perhaps slightly larger, but everyone has abs... they are just covered in fat on many people.

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 8:11am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That damn diet thing.....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 9:21am

Style: Headbutts

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One increasingly common (and reasonably strong) argument regarding abs in particular is that a 6-pack is made in the kitchen, not the gym. Yes, hypertrophy of the abdominal muscles helps if you're going for aesthetics, but you've gotta get "cut" for it to have an obvious effect, which involves dropping fat. And, since selective targeting of areas for fat-burning doesn't work at all, you kinda need to drop fat off your whole body. To be truly effective at that, you need to diet properly; for a lot of people, medium-intensity/long-duration cardio can also be a significant help.

-Sazzy

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 1:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 10:57am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll try and point out something that people usually don't talk about. Some just don't know about it, others avoid the topic because it can sound incredibly discouraging. What I'm talking about is: Genetics.

There are people who will never be good at certain things despite training/stuying a lot. We all have these guys at class that just don't advance at fast as others or or even don't advance at all, even tho they're trying as hard as everyone else is. The same thing goes for the development of your physique. I'm not saying "You can't so don't try." I'm just saying there are people (and you may or may not be one of them) who will NEVER develop these v-cuts. No matter how hard they work, no matter how well they eat and sleep, they just won't.

Of course working out will do you good in general, but genetics are the major factor in your development. We all know these guys who are in good shape, got decent stamina and strength, but they will always look at least kind of "fatty-ish" (same thing with people like me, who will always be rather skinny compared to the average athlete).

I have only been in Martial Arts for about 3 years by now, but I have gone through hard physical conditioning in all kinds of ways during the last decade, and I met people of all different body-types. Most of them had to face the fact that they will never look like the fitnessmodels they wanted to be, no matter how hard they try, and then had to make the decision whether they wanted to keep pushing their limits or just give up.

The point I'm trying to make is: Don't hunt after anything (be it looks, skills or whatever) that someone else has. Instead, get the best out of the package you got and check in with yourself from time to time to see if you're still on the right track.
    Last edited by SmH; 3/27/2013 11:00am at . Reason: typ-o

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 1:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    most guys will never have a 6 pack. dont stress about it

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 9:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cuddles: What's your reason for obtaining such a physique?

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 11:56am

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Genes and diet seem to make the most difference in my opinion. I had better abs when I was a scrawny little weakling.

I have found that treating my abs just like any other muscle (e.g. working limited reps with high resistance to build size and strength) has served me much better than when I used to do a million sets of crunches and stuff. Especially since I'm chubby.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2013 10:10pm

Style: being a fatty

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Cuddles: What's your reason for obtaining such a physique?
    Personal satisfaction.
    I want to be the best I can in all areas I feel like I can be successful in. I also feel that getting more fit will help me in my MA career, which is a big thing because, time-permitting, I want to try to fight amateur.

Not to mention: Who doesn't want an awesome body?

I have a 6pack and v showing, but it's mainly due to me being so lean than actually having any muscle mass at all. I'm a skinny bastard. I was hoping to make it more defined with added mass.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast