Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2014 5:10pm

Style: BJJ, JJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Runners High Is Rubbish

...Does anyone else just not get that whole 'runners high' thing people talk about? Like, I love grappling and I love getting better and I love having some minor level of strength and cardio, but I have never, ever ever experienced this supposed euphoric dopamine rush that comes after a session of hard physical exercise. Usually I just get sweaty. If I push myself reallyhard, sometimes I feel nauseous for a few minutes.

Does anyone else have this weird 'exercise anhedonia'? Does anyone really get a rush, or are they just making it up because they really want another running buddy?

Relatedly, I have also never experienced the quiet satisfaction of a clean bedroom, or the warm sense of accomplishment from handing a piece of work in a day before the deadline.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2014 9:30am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a bit vague on exactly what people mean by runners high. I run 3-4 times per week distance varying from 8-18km. Some days it's a real struggle, most days you get into your stride, your mind wanders and before you know it you have done 10km....

I normal run too and from work and by the time I get to work I'm fired up and ready to go and by the time I get home I've forgotten all the **** I've had to deal with that day.

Ultimately it's about an endorphin rush - you get that from any exercise and not necessary running.

Saying that I do a number of runs/obstacle runs each year, normally by the time I get to the end I have a big grin on my face......

Posted On:
    10/07/2014 10:06am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about any "rush" but there's definitely a point sometimes where a run that started out as a slog starts feeling good.

The 20 mile "wall" in a marathon is real as ****.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/07/2014 1:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me there's no better feeling than finishing up with a good run. It's as much mental as physical, though.

It started for me in the military. It was nice to go on a long run first thing in the morning. I mostly hated every fucking second of it. But then you'd get to go in, shower up, chill for a bit, get something to eat. And the best part is knowing that it's only 0900 and the hardest part of your day is over with.

Posted On:
    10/07/2014 1:42pm

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure about a rush but there's certainly a high or sorts but for me it's the generic endorphin release. I'm not a fan of running either but the relief when it's over is always nice.
    "Won't fight me in the ring? Don't fight me on the street."
    Paraphrased from Bullshido.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    10/07/2014 4:20pm

supporting member
     Style: 無木兔

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every single night I come home from MA class (no matter which kind) I feel more motivated and full of energy for hours no matter how hard I trained. Once the class fatigue ends, I always feel pretty great and have a very strong craving for carbohydrates, a sign of elevated dopamine levels.

Even if I'm sore with bruises, they don't come close to taking away the awesome feeling of "I just got my ass kicked in class again and survived".

My wife loves class night, that means I'll get at least half a dozen things done before I crash.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/07/2014 4:28pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2014 4:58pm

Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Every single night I come home from MA class (no matter which kind) I feel more motivated and full of energy for hours no matter how hard I trained. Once the class fatigue ends, I always feel pretty great and have a very strong craving for carbohydrates, a sign of elevated dopamine levels.

Even if I'm sore with bruises, they don't come close to taking away the awesome feeling of "I just got my ass kicked in class again and survived".

My wife loves class night, that means I'll get at least half a dozen things done before I crash.
    I feel the same way after training: exhausted, but fucking awesome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2014 3:06pm

Style: mt/bjj

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel "cleansed" and relaxed after a hard workout. I feel like my mind and body is like nice and cooled down (probly the sweat)

I love morning work outs and they kind of set the pace for the whole day