Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 4:07pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Our daycare only releases my kid to us, the parents or grandparents or others the kid clearly knows and we have beforehand said would be coming. If we have a change of plans we have to call in to let them know someone else is coming instead of the usual routine.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 4:17pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    We also taught yelling, "He's not my daddy," which I teach in the dojo
    A friend of mine started shouting that at the top of his lungs when he was a kid, when his dad tried to drag him somewhere at the mall. So, there's potential for backfire there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 3:33am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    A friend of mine started shouting that at the top of his lungs when he was a kid, when his dad tried to drag him somewhere at the mall. So, there's potential for backfire there.
    Isn't that a risk with any method of not being taken somewhere you don't want to be?

Granted, in this case, The boy who cried wolf should be required reading.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 7:55am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also think it's important to teach them where to look for help if they get lost, separated, etc. Of course there's the police officer option but there's not always one around. My kids have been told to find a mother who has children with her and ask for help.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 8:47am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was a latch key kid and we had code words to signal when I was home, if I was trouble, etc. We didn't have one for someone to pick me or my siblings up becaues we knew everyone that would come and get us. If they couldn't come then we didn't go anywhere unless it was the MPs/Police and even then it would stil require an adult we knew.

With my kids well hell I think anyone would give them back immediately!
    Still my wife insists that we raise them and protect them so we have our own SOP.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 11:24pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reading an article today reminded me of this thread.

"I was going to kindergarten and there was a man and a woman," Luo says. "I thought they were friends of my father so I went with them.

"I was transferred from car to car. Later on I was told I was in a mountainous area in Fujian province."

The bewildered schoolboy had been taken to Sanming, 1,500 km (900 miles) away where life with a completely different family awaited him. Luo was given a new name and introduced to a new sister.

He had become one of thousands of children abducted every year in China, very few of whom will ever return home. The country's one-child policy and lax adoption laws has fuelled an underground market for trafficked children. Earlier this year a police chief in Fujian claimed over 10,000 children had been trafficked in 2012 in his province alone.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24526210
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    12/03/2013 12:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Evocative ad campaign:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2013 12:08am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post

We also taught yelling, "He's not my daddy," which I teach in the dojo, and told stories, like the girl outside the Kailua movie theater Saturday afternoon was getting hassled by a perv and thinking quick she said loudly to a older decent man who was walking up, "Hi Daddy! I'm so glad you are here." And ran up to the man, who was smart enough to catch her winking and nodding at the perv. We tried to teach the kids to thinks, to escape when they were little.
    I taught the "He's not my daddy" and "fire!, fire!, fire!" in the Safe Kids program for many years. Anything to get attention from those who would otherwise be reluctant to take notice.

We also taught about inappropriate touching and that many times (most in fact) it was by someone known by the family.

Stranger Danger was another one with the instance of someone in a vehicle looking for a puppy/dog.

These are conversations any parent should have with a child. How much they remember when a situation is taking place is dependent, in part, on the emphasis one makes to the importance of the situation.

and

You can't pick up a kid from our school system without first being registered with the school as being able to do so. HS even requires a scan of your driver's license and a photo made on the spot by the same machine to enter the school by the front doors.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12