232624 Bullies, 3897 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. 5
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Schoolgirl uses code word to thwart attempted abduction

Ajax schoolgirl uses code word to thwart attempted abduction
    Ten-year-old Ajax girl uses code word to protect herself when strange man appears at her school, saying he was sent by her mom to drive her home.

A 10-year-old Ajax girl sensed something suspicious when a man she didn’t know appeared outside her school and said he was sent by her mother to pick her up.

The Applecroft Public School student asked him for a prearranged code word her parents had given her.

“He said the wrong word,” Det. Dave Mason of Durham Regional Police said Wednesday. “She said, ‘That’s not it,’ and she walked away.”

“It illustrates the importance of safety planning with your kids,” Mason said, adding that no arrests have yet been made in the Monday incident.

The girl told police there was a female sitting in the man’s car in the school parking lot.

As the couple drove away, the girl managed to get a description of the car and memorized some of its licence number, Mason said.
    She also provided police with a description of the couple.

Full article at link http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/20...abduction.html

+1 for solid parenting.

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 6:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you take a child to nursery, the practice is to agree a Codeword so that if you are unable to collect your child, then another may do so on your behalf. Without the Codeword, they will not release the child.

That's what happens in London.

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 7:08am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its a damn good idea, I had a codeword as a kid.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 7:16am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I grew up with a similar system. Due to my father's occupation and my family frequently living overseas, we were on occasion targets for "undesirables". Strategies like this were drilled into my head from very very young and my sister & I did need to rely on them from time to time. Maybe I grew up the opposite of sheltered, but it used to shock me when I found out others did not grow up similarly...or rather, when parents my age don't teach their children the same awareness & avoidance skills.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 8:53am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    If you take a child to nursery, the practice is to agree a Codeword so that if you are unable to collect your child, then another may do so on your behalf. Without the Codeword, they will not release the child.

That's what happens in London.
    You can't even get into the daycare my child attends without knowing the key code for the door. The daycare does not accept code words either. My wife and I fill out a form that lists all acceptable alternates that can pick him up. The form requires their driver's license numbers and a copy of a photo of each individual.

The daycare has better security than our local correctional facility.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 9:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've trained my kids on this type of thing too. We don't have a code word but they know who should and shouldn't pick them up, they know some people will lie to get them to go with them and they know what to do if someone tries.

I have mixed feelings about the security at my kids' school. You do have to sign in and have your picture taken on a webcam before you can take them out of school early. This is a good deterrent. But they're supposed to check your ID as well and they've failed to do so a couple times when I picked my kids up early. I didn't make an issue of it because I assumed they recognized me but I think I will the next time that happens.

If someone was bold enough they could get a kid out of that school if the kid remained silent. The kids have to be instructed on what to do.

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 2:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    You can't even get into the daycare my child attends without knowing the key code for the door. The daycare does not accept code words either. My wife and I fill out a form that lists all acceptable alternates that can pick him up. The form requires their driver's license numbers and a copy of a photo of each individual.

The daycare has better security than our local correctional facility.
    That reminds me. I forgot to say that my sister-in-law asked me to collect my little nephew from the Nursery; which I did, as my name was on the List.

As that nursery has closed for re-building, she moved him to another and told me of the Codeword process and that she had put my name down on the list. I forgot that bit.
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 3/22/2013 2:24pm at . Reason: edit for clarity

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 3:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    Hahahahahahaha anyone else notice the peace symbols.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 3:11pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I've trained my kids on this type of thing too. We don't have a code word but they know who should and shouldn't pick them up, they know some people will lie to get them to go with them and they know what to do if someone tries.
    There are 4 people that can pick my kids up. Only one can without my verbal permission. So, two of the four can't just show up and I trust them implicitly.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 3:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We tried hard. Talk about good touch weird touch, touching where underwear is worn, scream NO! Find an adult friend to tell.

One technique we picked up from Safety Kids is the song
    I know my number
    I know my number

repeated three times or so it sinks in. And that's the number we had twenty years ago. I look really silly singing this stupid song out loud, but it works so I'm still singing away.

We also taught yelling, "He's not my daddy," which I teach in the dojo, and told stories, like the girl outside the Kailua movie theater Saturday afternoon was getting hassled by a perv and thinking quick she said loudly to a older decent man who was walking up, "Hi Daddy! I'm so glad you are here." And ran up to the man, who was smart enough to catch her winking and nodding at the perv. We tried to teach the kids to thinks, to escape when they were little.

And of course, we soon got them into Kyokushinkai, then other martial arts and that actually saved them, daughter at 19 was an experienced black belt, attacked by a rapist fought hard and fast (said rapist looked shocked as she struck him and kia'd at the top of her lungs), son saved himself and other kids once or twice, once saving a drunk kid from serious abuse (they were all drunk but my son and other kid called 911 after my small son beat up the 6'3" abuser, who ran, and then waited for the ambulance and ended up doing time for minor in possession).

So good for the girl, code words are smart, now go train.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast