Style
    Bjj
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tunnel Vision and training

What do you do when you find yourself pulling the same stuff the majority of the times you roll. I know it is good to try and get a technique down. But I find myself not adding any new stuff at the same time.

This time of year can be bad because of all the tournaments. Repping the same technique a million times. Pan ams training was brutal and worlds is just around the corner.

I added wrestling to my training and that has helped.

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjjbjj View Post
    What do you do when you find yourself pulling the same stuff the majority of the times you roll. I know it is good to try and get a technique down. But I find myself not adding any new stuff at the same time.

This time of year can be bad because of all the tournaments. Repping the same technique a million times. Pan ams training was brutal and worlds is just around the corner.

I added wrestling to my training and that has helped.
    I try to make my training cyclical.
    One month I'll pick a few random techniques off of youtube or some DVD and throw them into the mix. Drill them each a hundred times and try to use nothing but them for a month.
    The next month I'll pick my favorite of those techniques and drill it some more and start trying to fit it into the rest of my game.
    The third month I'll work my best stuff with the new technique included, and then start over again.

Of course, when it comes tournament time you put your gameplan together and you rep that sequence 1000 times.

Style
    Brazillian Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Adding new techniques while rolling can be frustrating at times. Often you'll find that your new tech is getting stuffed, for a myriad of reasons including a tendency to try to force it, and it can be quickly abandoned. What I try to do, during rolling, is to broaden my focus. Say there's a new choke I want to try from side control. My focus won't be on the choke at all, but rather, on the position. Getting to that position, holding that position, escaping that position when I find my opponent in it (this can be especially beneficial, pay attention to the things you're doing to escape, and the way your opponent reacts as that builds the understanding of the fundamental mechanics of said position, allowing you to maintain it better). Over time as I find myself getting to the position more frequently, holding the position for longer, I'll start to introduce parts of the technique (for example, say it's a gi choke, I will practice just getting the proper grips while maintaining control).

This way you may not be pulling that sick new choke right off the bat, but you will be building your foundation in a way that supports the eventual implementation of the choke.

As I get better I will begin trying the choke on people who I'm better than, while keeping my focus more broad against people who are better than me. Eventually everything falls into place and the technique becomes an intuitive part of my game.

Style
    JiuJistu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My approach to this is let us call it "watch and learn".

I film most of my rolls. I try to roll with people who are better, equal and worse than I am. I then look at the rolls and try to find out where I make a mistake/get stuck etc. Then I will try to either ask my coach how to deal with it or simply wrack my brains on how to get past.

Example, people in my new school are big fans of the De-la-riva and related stuff. I got stuck in it a bunch of times so I figured out what to do about it and worked on it...

This is also extremely valid for competition, find out where you go wrong (take down, guard, pass, sub etc.) and then try to work on your specific issue.

Well and I try to use the technique we trained during rolls on the lower ranks, that also helps because they will know what is happening and you will get some nice feed-back by their reactions.

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the tips. I will start incorporating some of the ideas into training.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1st have a few really good techniques you can fall back on. It is good to feel like you have a safety net.
    2nd remember that rolling is about training and not winning. Its ok to tapped out while you are trying out new stuff. Remember it took you a long time to get good at the things you're good at. New stuff is going to take a while to get good at as well (just not nearly as long).
    3rd when rolling with lower level belt is the time to really work on new and different stuff.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Communication with your partner, especially in the early days of something (fits in nicely with what AKRhino said).

I find few things motivate you to open the guard and go for that sweep you're working on than people expecting you to because that's what you've told them you're going to do if/when you hit that position.

When you just start out working something specific it can be a setup or position where it's a little pocket of less resistance in an otherwise serious roll.

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used AKRhinos advice and focused on position. It worked really well.

Omoplata/arm bar/triangle

Not focusing too much on finishing but transitions. It is fun. I recommend trying this style of training.
    Last edited by Bjjbjj; 5/02/2013 12:32am at .