Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2013 6:24pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MT kicks and target areas

Hello, I have a few questions about MT round kicks

1) My Kru told me to use a "bent" leg to hit the body and a "striaght" leg to target the leg. Is that what you do??

2) I understand you are supposed to target the side part of the thigh to hit the side nerves running down. However, alot of times when I am in-close this seems impossible. So my kicks target the front part of the thigh.

I assume hitting the front part of the quad will cause good damage too??

Do you also target both side and front part of quads and if so, what situations do you know which to hit.

Thanks

Posted On:
    3/20/2013 7:19pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgold44 View Post
    Hello, I have a few questions about MT round kicks

1) My Kru told me to use a "bent" leg to hit the body and a "striaght" leg to target the leg. Is that what you do??
    If you are kicking properly your leg should be nearly completely relaxed with the power coming from hips and pivot. If you are trying to bend or even keep the leg straight you will be adding tension to the muscles and reducing your power.

The only common difference between a leg and a body kick is the angle. I prefer downward chopping kicks to the leg and upward angled kicks to the body. But its the same technique.

2) I understand you are supposed to target the side part of the thigh to hit the side nerves running down. However, alot of times when I am in-close this seems impossible. So my kicks target the front part of the thigh.

I assume hitting the front part of the quad will cause good damage too??
    I agree with Whiteshark on this one, you should be targeting the outside on the thigh one inch or so above the knee for maximum damage. Kicking elsewhere on the leg will hurt, you just won't get that lovely reaction where you opponent cannot stand on it after 2 good kicks.

Kicking this target is pretty easy, its just a matter of using angles and working on your kick accuracy. I find that a lot of people who kick across the thighs suck at accuracy and get me on the balls often.

Do you also target both side and front part of quads and if so, what situations do you know which to hit.

Thanks
    Personally I don't, I know a lot of people like to do a step across kick and plant a leg kick on the front of both thighs at the same time.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon