Our Sponsors:

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 10:59am

Style: Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah that's a valid perspective. I'm going to get back into it, starting with private instructions until I've got a grounding in foundations. Then everything you've said sounds just fantastic.

I think, that is how I will personally learn and do best. Everyone is a bit different.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 2:26pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettatore View Post
    Yeah that's a valid perspective. I'm going to get back into it, starting with private instructions until I've got a grounding in foundations. Then everything you've said sounds just fantastic.

I think, that is how I will personally learn and do best. Everyone is a bit different.
    You make a good point: people learn differently, and the disadvantage of group classes are you have to cater what is best for the most people, rather than take each person individually. I, for one, find that a good warmup (running, breakfalls, shrimping, stretching) gets my brain going and I can focus more.

Hopefully your approach works well for you. Just don't pull a muscle from not warming up properly.

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 3:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good warm up is good for the brain, I don't know if I can say the same when the warm up goes far beyond just being a warm up and into that area of conditioning.
    I have seen schools that do the warm up properly and I have seen schools that think the warm up should be intensive.
    Doing a complete core workout + running + push ups is not a warm up it is a work out even if you condense it down to 15 minutes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 7:01pm

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to another school?

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 8:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I give you a thumbs up for the sentiment, but my inner strategist says work smarter not just harder.
    No your coach works smarter. You work harder. You want to try to inspire the rest of the room to push. They want to inspire you. This is the reason you are all there in the first place. It is not to groan and half arse your training.

Accepting that also goes a long way towards mentaly being able to do that push.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 7:31pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Responding to entire thread in one reply:

Shrimping is a fundamental movement, so is bridging. If your warmup consists of lots of both then you are doing a technique heavy warmup and should STFU.

You can shrimp in place, but only if you're actually good at it. If the focus of your weight is on your foot and on the shoulder opposite that foot, then when your hips lift and you jackknife you can then use that same foot to perform a reverse shrimp which returns you to your previous position without moving you down the mat.

Now, as for your warmup bitching, the purpose of the warmup is also to help you reach a basic level of fitness. Suck it up and train.

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 10:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to get back into it...until I've got a grounding in foundations.
    Good place to have a grounding.

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 11:12pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is classic, I can hear my fat smoking arse from three years ago saying this same **** in the first half hour warm up of judo.

"I didn't pay this membership to be running in fucking circles."

**** I was an idiot. Can you see the extrapolation I am making here?

Was this originally in newbietown? How has no one told this guy to STFU and train?

As people have mentioned, shrimping and bridging is the basics. For ages I thought that fundamental meant basic, as in the stuff you start with but later you learn all this awesome stuff that makes the basics seem beneath you. I must've assumed that the purples, browns and blacks that lined up to shrimp, bridge and roll as a warm up were doing so to encourage the underlings. Then I watched them and realised they weren't just trying to get down the mat as fast as possible, they weren't trying to use it as a cardio warm up, they were concentrating on their technique. Their shrimps, bridges and rolls were technically far superior to anyone else's. Plus, they didn't seem to be puffed at all, while I was sucking gas like a Humvee at a Shell, rushing down the mat because I just wanted to get to the technique.

And then you roll with them and they bridge and you're in the fucking air. You've got Jordan hang time. Do you think that came from sitting down and learning 5 techniques every night? **** no. They fucking worked. You should too. It's worth it.

Also, lol @ comparing yourself to Bas.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    3/30/2013 3:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Running around & doing a cardio workout before being taught technique is utter rubbish.
    If someone wants to get shape go to the gym & lift weights or do pilaties I don't care what it is, just do it in your own time. I've been through hundreds of lessons now & I can't stand the running in circles stuff.

I agree with getting your upa/shrimping perfect as it is really helpful as well as getting your body warmed up. Practicing some drills & doing stretches for injury prevention is all that is needed to be ready for a lesson.

The amount of different techniques to learn when starting off is hard enough to remember already and getting in a decent time practicing/drilling those same moves can really make the difference between wanting to stay one gym or another.

Most lesson don't include many new techniques & trying to remember five or more moves in one lesson could be very difficult for many students. So why limit the amount of time given to practicing/drilling the two or three moves? I'm pretty sure that the more times you do this type of thing the you better you get.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2013 4:16pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokujukyu View Post
    Running around & doing a cardio workout before being taught technique is utter rubbish.
    If someone wants to get shape go to the gym & lift weights or do pilaties I don't care what it is, just do it in your own time. I've been through hundreds of lessons now & I can't stand the running in circles stuff.

I agree with getting your upa/shrimping perfect as it is really helpful as well as getting your body warmed up. Practicing some drills & doing stretches for injury prevention is all that is needed to be ready for a lesson.

The amount of different techniques to learn when starting off is hard enough to remember already and getting in a decent time practicing/drilling those same moves can really make the difference between wanting to stay one gym or another.

Most lesson don't include many new techniques & trying to remember five or more moves in one lesson could be very difficult for many students. So why limit the amount of time given to practicing/drilling the two or three moves? I'm pretty sure that the more times you do this type of thing the you better you get.
    If you can not see the benefits of warm ups then maybe you are in the wrong martial art.
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast