Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 12:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Our class has half an hour of hell conditioning before each class.
    I like this approach it gives the option to do it and frees up valuable instruction time.

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 12:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I like this approach it gives the option to do it and frees up valuable instruction time.
    Yes and no. You dont turn your fresh arse up to sparring without paying for iteither.

There is some serious scowling involved.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 1:31am

Style: Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Our class has half an hour of hell conditioning before each class. Plates kettlebells sprints. Outright murder death kill stuff.

Coincidently their fighters tend to win fights.

Fighting is physical and the class is not all about you.

Look being strong isnt cheating. Winning the grapple can be as much about breaking your opponants will as it is about technique.
    Sounds great, seems logical, and I agree 100%. On the otherhand, it sounds like better advice for BJJ/Judo folks who already have their feet wet and basics down at least to some moderate degree. In my experience, it was counter-productive to learning the intro stuff and getting comfortable. Great exercise, but a lot of money spent and little learned. Also, their fighters were not winning fights consistently during the time I was there. They weren't terrible, from what I heard and the one fight I went to they were about 50/50 at that time, no idea what their up to now, would wish them all the best but I felt kind of screwed and if I had to do it all over again, I'd have just take 1 or 2 day trips a week into NYC and train with Renzo's school instead, even though that technically would be less classes, it would likely have learned more and stuck with it longer. Just a hunch.

For now I'm working on stand-up stuff, and will try to find a partner to practice the basics on from video instruction and then take that slop foundation to a gym to spar and have them fix it.

Again, kick my ass and make me spar/roll till I can't move, but do it towards the end or middle of the class and after you've taught me what I paid to learn... i feel it's really just showing off and wasting my time and money otherwise, i could be wrong but I've learned quite an array of different skills in my lifetime so far and I think I know bad teaching/practice when I see it.

I'd rather warm up thoroughly, or be told to show up early to warm up properly. Then learn for an hour, and after that then get really hit with heavy drilling/exhaustion and then forced to roll until I'm nearly dead.... My problem isn't the running around in circles, that's just for the humor of this, my problem is the order of operations as well as some other bs I've encountered thus far when trying to find a good gym locally.

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 6:48am

Style: JiuJistu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettatore View Post
    I had to do it all over again, I'd have just take 1 or 2 day trips a week into NYC and train with Renzo's school instead, even though that technically would be less classes, it would likely have learned more and stuck with it longer. Just a hunch.
    Nope, classes there are just the same. You do your running, you do your rolls, shrimping, hip ups, push ups, crunches... all the stuff you don't want to do they do, until the glass of the little walls between the areas are so foggy that you can't see ****.
    Then Magno will show you some technique and then it is either positioning drills of live rolling. (For beginners that is) For advanced, it is more live rolling and less positioning drills, but the rest is the same.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 7:04am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That settles that then, thanks franginho. And not to be a stick in the mud, but it's all the stuff I don't want to do "right before learning", I don't mind any of it, right after learning or right before rolling (since folks here say it prevents injury from spastic/hyper aggressive sparring partners which makes great sense). Perhaps my theory just sucks, perhaps, but it works for boxing....

We were never exhausted when learning new techniques/form/corrections whatever, we did that after warm up, then we'd run stairs/jump rope, etc. etc.. Guess that's just the way it is for JuJitsu. Actually, perhaps I need to get private lessons at first, that might be the way to go 'for me' until I've got a foundation.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 7:31am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    While I agree that grip fighting is important, I would never drill it. Grip fighting will **** up your fingers (I guess Judo and Jits folk will agree with me here).
    NO! Stop being a bitch!
    Grip should and must be drilled. Fingers be damned!!!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 7:50am

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    NO! Stop being a bitch!
    Grip should and must be drilled. Fingers be damned!!!!
    Just to understand you on this one...
    Do you mean we should drill getting grips (I agree)
    Do you mean we should learn/drill how to break grips (I agree)
    Do you mean we should drill grip fighting, as in getting better grips over the other and just that... (then I disagree, As I said, will **** up your fingers, already have that, don't need more of that).

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 8:38am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We were never exhausted when learning new techniques/form/corrections whatever, we did that after warm up, then we'd run stairs/jump rope, etc. etc.. Guess that's just the way it is for JuJitsu. Actually, perhaps I need to get private lessons at first, that might be the way to go 'for me' until I've got a foundation.
    The nice guy in me understands this. My inner Marine is screaming at you to toughen up however.

Stop smoking, start exercising more and the warm ups will become much easier. Better cardio means less fatigue come learning time.

Not many of us enjoy strength and cardio training, but they form an integral part of a good foundation in grappling. Any kind of grappling. Heck, I suppose you could substitute the word "sports" in place of grappling and it would still be true.

A bit of friendly advice from my inner Marine, harden the **** up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 8:47am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I give you a thumbs up for the sentiment, but my inner strategist says work smarter not just harder.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 9:29am

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I give you a thumbs up for the sentiment, but my inner strategist says work smarter not just harder.
    That's the whole point. You are forced to work smarter and not harder.

Speaking as a noob to jits, that is something us noobies need to get through both our heads and bodies. I'm almost six months in and I still need all that gassing out before technique just to get my body right in that I am forced to relax and not power through whatever we are learning that night. I am forced to think about what I am doing.

You were expecting something else and there is nothing wrong with that all. Yet, whereas you see the warm ups and conditioning before technique as a detriment, I see it as a Godsend to training in that it is forcing me to work harder and not smarter. It's all the matter of perception and what you truly want.
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast