Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 9:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettatore View Post
    No argument there. For the record i was quit for 2 years when i entered that school. (smoked for many many before that though). I picked up smoking again last year, and I'm in better shape now than when I was at that school (no fault of theirs, I just exercise all the time now and golf a lot and walk around the city instead of driving in the US so I'm just in better shape now vs. then, more active) BUT. Your point is solid. That said, I wasn't the only guy exhausted, and the other folks weren't smokers....
    What you're responding to there is a quote you attributed to me. While I may not disagree with it, I do not recall writing it. It's post # 10.

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 9:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    It's better to spar when you are tired, because you are more relaxed. It's when assholes go hog-wild and don't know WTF they are doing people get hurt. At least for beginners.
    I have no issue with sparing being at the end of class, give me more time to drill techniques with a partner that is giving me the proper level of resistant to wear me out instead of line drills and running.

For what its worth I do believe shrimping is a good warm up, and some of the other line drill movements people need practice on.

When you only have an hour long class wasting a lot of time on this stuff sucks. A 15 minute warm up is a 25% of the class, the warm is suppose to be like an appetizer its to get your body ready to eat not fill you mostly up.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 9:54pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shrimping is something that lots of people think they've mastered when they haven't. I took a self defense course in college taught by a good judo coach, and he had us shrimping. Man, you shoulda seen it. People Pac-Manning side to side but staying in the same place, moving along by bridging back, all sorts of weird stuff.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 10:29pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettatore View Post
    And that I could learn up to even 3, even partially maybe more like 5 or 7 techniques if not exhausted to extremes beforehand.
    No you can't.

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 11:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your brain's too tired to remember what you're learning, buy a notebook. Buy a notebook anyway. Write things down. Make drawings and diagrams. The next time the topic comes up in class, refine your notes.

A hard work out not only tends to take the strength out of techniques, it also tends to take the edge off the folks who are unable to relax at all and have a tendency to hurt their training partners "by accident".
    Last edited by Honey Badger; 3/19/2013 11:20pm at . Reason: your/you're/you are error. Goddammit
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/20/2013 11:05am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Absolutely have a notebook. I have 2. One for scribbling things down on the spot, and another for a 2nd draft that's more legible and organized (and with cool drawings!).

Posted On:
    3/20/2013 12:15pm

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know that repetition is the key to learning, right? And most of the stuff you do is important in rolling.

As many folks pointed out, if you are gassed you make a certain type of decisions, those are usually your 'fall back' move. The ones you drilled the most and the ones that you know the best/feel most comfortable with.
    The other point, that was already mentioned, most of the warm up stuff is crucial to JJ. Shrimping/hip positioning being one of the most underrated (by beginners, heck even intermediate guys) skills in all of JJ. So doing it over and over and over you learn to do it for when you need it. If I am fucking up in rolling or drilling, first thing I check, is my hip in the right place (too high/ too low, too much in, too much out, blocked etc.) most of times this already fixes a big part of the issue.

Over all:
    Would I like training to be different? Sure I would.
    If you ask me I would do a 5/10 min. to stretch warm and then drill technique (3 max. best attack/move - counter - counter counter) and then roll the rest of the class. I am working out on other days/times. But Jits here in Brazil, since you specifically mentioned it, is not any different then from JJ in the US or most likely where ever you go. You do the warm up, you drill, you roll. I have been to more than 15 schools in various countries from different coaches and such... everywhere the same. Warm up, drill, roll.

One could think there is a reason for it....

Posted On:
    3/20/2013 12:45pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    If I am fucking up in rolling or drilling, first thing I check, is my hip in the right place
    We have a mantra in my house hold of "Grips, Hips, and Hooks" if something isn't working its because one of those three things are off. That being said I would rather warm up with something that makes dynamic use of those three things then the typical running around in a circle BS. Warm up with grip fighting from different positions do some shrimping, do some pummeling and away you go.

Posted On:
    3/20/2013 12:59pm

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I agree that grip fighting is important, I would never drill it. Grip fighting will **** up your fingers (I guess Judo and Jits folk will agree with me here).

One of the nicer drills that will get you warmed up is one I did, heck knows where and when, that is based on side mount. Bottom does everything to get out, top guy only is allowed to pummel in/under and switch base, no subs, no cross face no NS.
    This is a super nice drill and it will kill you. Love that one!

Posted On:
    3/20/2013 1:05pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the best school I have gone to by far use to warm up a lot by doing something similar rolling just for position.
    They also use to do a 10 round Monday night class as well and always had open mat after class. Man I miss that place.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast