Our Sponsors:

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 3:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK I have had a lay off for a bit because of work. And I am an unfit fat **** at the moment.

Did some sparring with the coach (2 five minute rounds)

I was pretty us less and a punching bag after about 30 seconds.

I had the opportunity to learn and improve my game. I had the responsibility to help prepare my coach for an fight.

And I failed in both because I did not have the conditioning that hard warm ups provide.

I actually Said because we have discussed this thread in the gym"this is why we do hard warm ups"

If you are not conditioned to do he class how do you learn anything from it.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 3:57am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excuse my bloody silly tablet and weird spell checker.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 8:22am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Miyagi View Post
    Just on the off-topic/culled component: On the whole, and knowing Rok, I definitely think that Rok was off-put in the way people post, probably not aware YMAS is a let loose area either. I also don't think he understands that the TAGS we have here on Bullshido actually represent something compared to say Sherdog etc where it's just a "POST COUNT" type deal. So, not having spoken to him about it, his pre-conceived notion could have been "Oh, here's this guy with lots of things above his name, acting like how I think an online bully would act on other forums and talking out his ass and telling me his point of view and feeling like it's belittling mine because I'm a new poster etc etc guy obviously doesn't train enough to be picking on me in this thread." That combined with his aggressive responses to Omega kept escalting things between them; but I think it's a misunderstanding from his point of view. But I'll let him clear any of that up~!
    That's really no excuse. The description for YMAS states "Take the gloves off and grammatically beat on each other and dead horses", also there are stickies and of course most people do lurk before posting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 9:39am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought the warm-ups sucked when I first started training. I had only quit smoking 2 weeks earlier, and I started getting tunnel vision toward the end of my first warm-up. I didn't understand what the whole point of that crap was, or how all of these silly exercises would help me learn how to tap people out.

Fast forward about a year: I'm 30 lbs lighter, and I can roll with you for 30 minutes on end without gassing. I'm good at conserving my energy, I'm extremely focused on technique over power, and I'm starting to learn a little bit of jiu jitsu instead of moronic smashing/wrestling. I'm not much stronger than I was when I started, but I can handle knee on belly without tapping out, and I can last over 30 seconds with someone on top of me now....none of which were possible before I conditioned my body through these warm-ups to deal with jiu jitsu.

I'm by no means an expert, or even anything above a novice.....but the one theme that gets repeated a lot whenever I talk to higher level players is that your muscular reaction should be so solid and technical that you don't have to think about it. If you're thinking then moving, your'e going too slow and your opponent can adjust for what you're doing. I don't feel like I can get to that level of the game through drilling alone, I have to have complete control over my body and know that I can quickly snap over from one position to another as I'm rolling to survive/submit.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 11:23am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Miyagi View Post
    Just on the off-topic/culled component: On the whole, and knowing Rok, I definitely think that Rok was off-put in the way people post, probably not aware YMAS is a let loose area either. I also don't think he understands that the TAGS we have here on Bullshido actually represent something compared to say Sherdog etc where it's just a "POST COUNT" type deal. So, not having spoken to him about it, his pre-conceived notion could have been "Oh, here's this guy with lots of things above his name, acting like how I think an online bully would act on other forums and talking out his ass and telling me his point of view and feeling like it's belittling mine because I'm a new poster etc etc guy obviously doesn't train enough to be picking on me in this thread." That combined with his aggressive responses to Omega kept escalting things between them; but I think it's a misunderstanding from his point of view. But I'll let him clear any of that up~!

I guess a 'firey' introduction to Bullshido, haha.

Hmm, can I delve into this further and ask you why you think that is (2-4 year questioning) as an instructor? For me, it became more to do with wanting to spend MORE time on actual drills and techniques (not more techniques, just more time on the few we were going over for that class). Is it something to do with hitting this point for guys, then (if women seem to get it earlier), and the 'comfort' level of the art itself? Or is it something else? I don't really feel it's a 'rebelliousness' (tying in with the teenage years thing) against the instructor, but should be open for some adult discussion back and forth type thing.

For me it's not the case of "I know best for all" but that 'I know my body' and if I can give feedback that would make me happier in class, awesome.

Our classes are pretty cool, and the instructors are all open to feedback and mention as such at the end of every so class. I was very close to asking to tone down the starts of the classes from so much cardio and what I felt was over the top stuff for warm ups and then they were adjusted before I said anything.

Usually we're there before the offical class flow rolling, drilling, and leading into just free-rolling ourselves in a tiny free space so we're past warmed up by the time we hit the main class; I realise this isn't the same for everyone, just something from my point of view.

I guess this one ties to the top question, mostly. By 'bridge' do you mean accepting what you are being told to do by the instructor and needing to take that on board and just do it?

Yes, but I also feel like these are high risk before actually being warm, as well. I do agree with having a warm up that relates back to being closer to what is being taught for that lesson so those aspects are taken into account specifically when warming up.

E.G. instead of running around doing fireman's carries with the weight on my discs out of alignment, I'd rather drill shooting doubles and lifting my partner, or duck unders to body lift from the back to warm up my back etc.

We have these separate, as we also cater to fitness members that aren't really into martial arts as well. Most of the guys that compete or otherwise are 'serious' hobbyists have their own training they do separately, be it weights or cardio.

We have specific times for open mat classes for free-rolling, and for our set classes we almost always are doing techniques or drills, and I don't think most people want to skip this. Sometimes I FEEL like I want to do more free rolling, but that's to practice technique in a live way to see if I can hit setups, feel timings I've been working on. But it was a very short time when I wanted to ONLY ROLL (like 2 weeks at the beginning of blue belt when I wanted to try leg locks all the time) and not do any technique at all. So with my experience at our gym the classes don't seem to want this, or we just have enough access to other times to do this enough it's not a overlying problem.

Sometimes it is awesome just to have those classes (leading up to comps, gradings, or otherwise) as just a quick warm-up and then rounds at 20% - 50% - 75% - full control all class, but this is only at very specific times.

I was a pretty pragmatic and cynical 18 year old, the same as I was when I was 10, haha; however, I note your point. I understand what you are getting at, but as you've said, can't empathise completely on the father aspect.

I only have small adjustments in my world view as I gain further information to review and decide if I need to reformulate an opinion. I'm open minded, but have also always challenged my own assertions, also relying on a lot of empirical evidence as to the 'why' of things, and that's how I understand them. Which is why, I guess, I'm taking time to respond and hunt down a reason for things now ;).

Ah that's all good, that was your comment from the past! So I accept if you do not wish to discuss it or you have changed your mind. I didn't do a good job of explaining while it was Jascul's thread, you had posted in it, and the item I quoted was your response in that thread.
    I have to be honest with you I don't remember the Jascul thread. This idea of crossing certain bridges is a recent development in my teaching view.
    bridge 1: Spaz
    bridge 2: ego
    bridge 3: strength
    bridge 4: not dealing with strength
    bridge 5: linear thinking
    bridge 6: definitive moves

BTW this is me talking out my ass. I'm making these bridge names as I'm typing this without too much thought in why I have come to these conclusions. It was just to help you understand my mindset.

If I may share an anecdote; I showed up to a seminar I was supposed to put on as a SAMBO instructor. I watched everybody roll and my determination what I would show everybody. I sat everybody down and told them I would show them the crossbody armbar. You should have seen everybody's faces, I had 1 purple belt, a few blues, lots of whites and mixture of Japanese Ju Jitsu and Judoka blackbelts. I told them that I knew they wanted to learn leg locks but I think they would get more from the armbar. I then told them I would refund their money if they thought they didn't get anything from the session.

After 4 drills, breakdowns and critiques I invited each of them to come out on the floor and roll. The purple belt, 1 judoka and two blue belts took me up on the offer. I armbarred each of them within 4 minutes. I ended the session by telling them that it's neat to learn all these fun unique maneuvers but by doing it they neglect their basics. It's usually around blue belt when that happens.

I don't know what to tell you why this happens. My theory is that by blue belt a person has developed the ability to tap people without too great of an effort so they want to take off with it and they learning curve shoots up. They learn all these moves without really knowing why they work, I mean truly knowing why. Even today I learn different things about leverage and maneuvers of the basics and to me that's fascinating. Sure I can pull off flying toe holds, jumping kimura's, D'arce, Brabos, Weaving Heel Hooks, but it normally comes down to understanding the basics.

*edit:

The reason why I shared this anecdote is for you to understand that things you may dismiss today as not necessary you may find useful tomorrow.

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 1:10pm

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Sure I can pull off flying toe holds, jumping kimura's, D'arce, Brabos, Weaving Heel Hooks, but it normally comes down to understanding the basics.
    An interesting thing happens at the kendo seminars we hold every year. Almost each time, the guest instructor spends a couple of hours teaching basics. Sometimes right from how to stand, 1st day in class kind of stuff. It is interesting to watch the students. The very new ones are interested because they are still struggling with this stuff. The middle ones, the blue belt equivalents, are bored stiff and want to learn something cool they can use in a tournament. The most senior are the most attentive, trying to gleam any insight they can from this chance at learning the most important things from the most senior people.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 3:50pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    An interesting thing happens at the kendo seminars we hold every year. Almost each time, the guest instructor spends a couple of hours teaching basics. Sometimes right from how to stand, 1st day in class kind of stuff. It is interesting to watch the students. The very new ones are interested because they are still struggling with this stuff. The middle ones, the blue belt equivalents, are bored stiff and want to learn something cool they can use in a tournament. The most senior are the most attentive, trying to gleam any insight they can from this chance at learning the most important things from the most senior people.
    When did you switch to Kendo?

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 3:51pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I have to be honest with you I don't remember the Jascul thread. This idea of crossing certain bridges is a recent development in my teaching view.
    bridge 1: Spaz
    bridge 2: ego
    bridge 3: strength
    bridge 4: not dealing with strength
    bridge 5: linear thinking
    bridge 6: definitive moves

BTW this is me talking out my ass. I'm making these bridge names as I'm typing this without too much thought in why I have come to these conclusions. It was just to help you understand my mindset.

If I may share an anecdote; I showed up to a seminar I was supposed to put on as a SAMBO instructor. I watched everybody roll and my determination what I would show everybody. I sat everybody down and told them I would show them the crossbody armbar. You should have seen everybody's faces, I had 1 purple belt, a few blues, lots of whites and mixture of Japanese Ju Jitsu and Judoka blackbelts. I told them that I knew they wanted to learn leg locks but I think they would get more from the armbar. I then told them I would refund their money if they thought they didn't get anything from the session.

After 4 drills, breakdowns and critiques I invited each of them to come out on the floor and roll. The purple belt, 1 judoka and two blue belts took me up on the offer. I armbarred each of them within 4 minutes. I ended the session by telling them that it's neat to learn all these fun unique maneuvers but by doing it they neglect their basics. It's usually around blue belt when that happens.

I don't know what to tell you why this happens. My theory is that by blue belt a person has developed the ability to tap people without too great of an effort so they want to take off with it and they learning curve shoots up. They learn all these moves without really knowing why they work, I mean truly knowing why. Even today I learn different things about leverage and maneuvers of the basics and to me that's fascinating. Sure I can pull off flying toe holds, jumping kimura's, D'arce, Brabos, Weaving Heel Hooks, but it normally comes down to understanding the basics.

*edit:

The reason why I shared this anecdote is for you to understand that things you may dismiss today as not necessary you may find useful tomorrow.
    This is the kind of post that keeps me returning to Bullshido.

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 4:09pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorekara View Post
    When did you switch to Kendo?
    I am primarily a kendo guy. I did judo in high school, quit during college, took up kendo after college, now doing both (back to judo with my son a few years ago).

Posted On:
    4/03/2013 1:33am

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just wonder if the people complaining about the first fifteen minutes and getting bang for their buck are still training in the last fifteen.

I find there is a lot of grind involved in trying to get good at this thing.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213 LastLast