Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dr. Latson's method of self defence and the "God-Man" scandal of 1911

http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/20...andal-of-1911/

This article has it all; self defense with an umbrella, "mystical psychology" and a bizarre scandal that rocked New York City's high society back in 1911.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dunno what that girl is trying to defend against. . . Wearing a dress like that, she is obviously just asking for it.

(Any idea what the good doctor might have been basing his system on, other than boxing?)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty cool article. And she was good looking, even in that dress!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've ordered a copy of the 1958 book referred to in the article, which apparently hints that the "Latson method" had a jujitsu component. JJ had been introduced to the USA in 1903. The umbrella-fighting content is a bit of a mystery; most likely it was inspired by some of E.W. Barton-Wright's Bartitsu articles reprinted in US newspapers or related to the savate-based cane self defense Professor Louis Tronchet was teaching at the San Francisco Olympic Club in the late 1800s. There's also a record of women's umbrella self defense being taught in Philadelphia in 1908, but we don't know much more about that.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seeing her in the side-on stance, with her arm tucked like it is, my first thought was something based on a system for military saber; though holding the umbrella where she was kind of confused me.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The grip position is reminiscent of Irish shillelagh fighting; the idea was to use the section of the weapon projecting below the fist to parry attacks.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you think that sort of training, or materials referencing it, would have been available to Dr. Latson? I guess it's possible that the grip is coincidental, but it still strikes me as a little counter-intuitive. . .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hard to say. The *idea* of the shillelagh fighting grip was pretty well known during the early 1900s, having been described in both British and American newspaper articles and a couple of late 19th century self defense books written by English authors. The most likely direct source would be this 1905 newspaper article: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jimmy_f...an/wittman.htm .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EX-CHIEF OF POLICE WITTMAN
    "It is strange how few men who carry a cane are held up."
    That made me smile.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I read articles like that, my brains starts narrating the tale like an old British guy on old timey radio.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last