Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 11:43am

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://challenge.coldsteel.com/colds...2011_rules.pdf

These are the rules for the cold steel challenge; a knife, stick, sword and spear competition held every year. If you scroll through it, you will find the rules for their "blades". Namely, PVC pipe wrapped in furnace padding and secured with duct tape. Measurements and all are listed there.

If you use your lighter stick, even wrapped, with power, they will splinter/break. I'd recommend keeping your light sticks unwrapped and use them for practicing techniques and forms to save your wrists.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 11:47am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first headgear was a lacross helmet and they're right- they're loud as hell when you get hit. My second was a kendo headgear- pretty good but you have to point your head straight forward (for siglestick grip, I like to be a little sideways). Next was fencing masks, and I realized that that's what I should've used all along. Plus they're ideal for knife fencing and you can pull them off when grappling. The downside is that a hard blow can cause it to scratch your skin (so I wear a layer underneath).

Having said all that, I don't take or give a lot of "full power hits". Those are like what karate breakers do- very rarely will the strike that hits you be a full windup body English strike. Most things that land are snap cuts, flicking cuts at the hands and arms, straight thrusts, etc.

Every year my group competes in a mixed rattan/wood weapon tournament where we go up against shinai, tonfas etc, and I've found my gear to be adequate for training for it (but in the actual tourney we do WEKAF gear).

If I were you, I'd pick up gear in pieces in this order:
    -safety goggles
    -cup
    -hockey gloves

at this point you should feel free to knife spar

-fencing mask
    -volleyball knee pads

With a little searching and ingenuity you should be able to put this kit together for a minimum wage paycheck.

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 10:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're cash strapped, don't overlook Play It Again. They're great for used gear that hasn't seen much action. There's one in Montreal, Laval, and Kirkland.

Also, go see Phil Gelinas as often as you can afford to do so. You're right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2013 10:52pm

Style: Doce Pares Escrima

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
    If you're cash strapped, don't overlook Play It Again. They're great for used gear that hasn't seen much action. There's one in Montreal, Laval, and Kirkland.

Also, go see Phil Gelinas as often as you can afford to do so. You're right there.
    Im actually switching over to his gym in the summer and I bought my first pair of rattan sticks from him too. I never heard of play it again. I live near Kirkland so this is really convenient for me. Thank you very much, everyone. You have been way more helpful than I thought possible. So many knowledgeable people here.
    By the way Honey Badger, do you live in montreal?

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 1:33am

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not in Montreal. I'm in CT. I recommend Tuhon Gelinas from a couple seminars, his great reputation in the PTK community, and my instructor's high opinion of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 8:41am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
    I'm not in Montreal. I'm in CT. I recommend Tuhon Gelinas from a couple seminars, his great reputation in the PTK community, and my instructor's high opinion of him.
    And I'll second that. He's an excellent instructor, and well worth your time and money.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12