Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 12:30am

Style: Doce Pares Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Escrima sticks vs Hockey helmet

Hi guys,
    I've been doing escrima for a couple of months and my friend started doing kendo around the same time. We like to pit our techniques together full contact. The problem is that we don't have any protective gear. After each session we are always covered in nasty gashes and bruises. Mainly because we are both students with a minimum wage job and protective equipment for escrima and kendo can be quite expensive. Since we want to protect our I.Q we've been looking into hockey equipment. How well would a hockey helmet fare against a full-powered swing with a rattan stick? How would it fare against a shinai? Should we save up some money and buy actual escrima helmets and fencing gear?

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 4:50am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my opinion you'd be better of padding your sticks than buying too much gear (a helmet might be a good investment though).

Depending on where you live you should be able to get "pipe cladding" or similar for really cheap, just pop your lighter sticks inside that and tape the hell out of it and you've got a perfectly servicable padded stick. (something like this is what we use http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insulat...?skuId=9283471)

If you have a look at my competition footage thread you'll see me fighting a guy who did a similar thing to his shinai as well.

Also, check out this thread: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=117525 for some more ideas on padded sticks.

That said, it also depends on what kind of fighting you're training for, being a Doce Pares guy you might be planning to compete in WEKAF-style competition, to train for that you really need some armour, otherwise you're either going to tear yourself to bits or fail to prepare properly for the close-range type of fighting it involves.

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 6:27am

Style: FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in Florida so I'm not familiar with hockey gear, it's not that big here. Does a hockey helmet protect your face? I know a goalie mask might but i didn't think a regular helmet did. Does your kendo buddy have access to kendo had gear? It's what i started out using for stick sparring, it's a little restrictive though. If i were you if get some fencing masks, the heavier saber masks stand up pretty good to impact and you can get one around $60. Asst one point i was looking into the old school Jason style hockey goalies masks, but alli could find were Halloween costumes and expensive old collectors items. And the Jason masks would still have to be modified to add some eye projection. Good luck tell us what you come up with.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 7:11am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortal_wombat View Post
    Hi guys,
    I've been doing escrima for a couple of months and my friend started doing kendo around the same time. We like to pit our techniques together full contact. The problem is that we don't have any protective gear. After each session we are always covered in nasty gashes and bruises. Mainly because we are both students with a minimum wage job and protective equipment for escrima and kendo can be quite expensive. Since we want to protect our I.Q we've been looking into hockey equipment. How well would a hockey helmet fare against a full-powered swing with a rattan stick? How would it fare against a shinai? Should we save up some money and buy actual escrima helmets and fencing gear?
    Lacrosse helmet > hockey helmet.

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 8:19am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One problem with hockey helmets is they're loud as **** when you get hit - there's no sound absortion.

For regular training, we use hockey/lacrosse gloves, safety goggles and mouthguards. We add in knee and elbow pads, and fencing masks as things get more fighty.

From what you describe as "nasty gashes and bruises", you're going at it with good contact (although I'm wondering about the gashes - what's cutting you?). Minimum level of safety should be to armour those things that don't heal well, like fingers, teeth and eyes.

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 8:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    One problem with hockey helmets is they're loud as **** when you get hit - there's no sound absortion.
    That's the main problem I've had. I bought a hockey helmet with the cage mask and used it for about 8 months until I felt like my ears were going to start bleeding from the noise.

I have a fencing mask that works really well, but offers no protection on the back of the head. Depending on how hard core your fights are. I got hit on the back of the head a couple times and didn't like it. Also, the vision through the fencing mask is wierd, like your in a video game or something.

I have a padded helmet with a mask that I got from ring to cage. It looks like this, but a little different. http://ringtocage.com/Safety-Cage-Tr...dgear-RC51.htm

I guess they don't make the one I have any more. I've also used the Macho ones and they work well too. Here is the link to that one: http://www.macho.com/warrior-cage.aspx

The problem with those is that some people like to pull off the helmet when you get to grappling range. The last two I sited, wrap around the head and don't come off easily. The fencing masks are better for that.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 9:46am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much of an issue is throat protection for you Diesel_tke?

I've seen people using masks like that last one you posted before but they worry me because even a fencing mask has a throat guard.

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 10:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't had any issues getting hit in the throat. However in clench and grappling range we need access to the throat for fang chokes and stuff like that. But when I fight I tuck my chin and keep my hands up, so that combined with footwork seems to do it for me.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 11:20am

Style: Doce Pares Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gashes might have been an exaggeration. I thought that "gash" meant really bad bruise/mark, then I googled it. Boy, was i wrong.
    Fuzzy I think i'll try your suggestions about the padded stick. That's some good competition footage by the way. Who's your teacher?

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 11:38am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortal_wombat View Post
    Who's your teacher?
    Ermar Alexander, he's under Diony Canete.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast