Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 8:44am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I came here to tell you Bananas and water as well you dumb bastard.
    Yep. Almost all muscle cramps that are not toxin related are caused by a lack of potassium and water.

Muscle cramps are the body's way of reminding you to take care of nutrition and hydration before a workout.

Posted On:
    3/19/2013 10:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What everyone else said. Remember that coffee can act as a diureticc depending on the type and amount of caffeine in it. Which can increase your urine output while the also burning extra calories. All this combined can dehydrate you. A couple cups in the morning then followed by lots of water during the day will probably solve your problem. Throw potassium in the mix and you are golden.

Assuming you don't have intermittent claudication due to heart issues. ;)
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 2:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Coffee and training are a terrible combo imo, like a lot of stimulants not worth the weird symptoms.

I used to burn more calories that way, now I just associate it with cramps, heat exhaustion, and the occasional puke.

Sifu recommended cutting out coffee a few hours before training and drinking at least 8 ounces of water at least an hour before any kind of training, even light, due to my past issues with dehyrdation. Results have been good.
    Old Fart Judo Elixir: Can of diet pepsi and 800 mg of Ibuprofen (don't do that on an empty stomach, though, LOL).
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2013 5:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...?t=2127&page=1 was a similar question that I asked many years ago. Bananas, water, and Fingermoon suggested suppliments cal/mag and zinc. I got some and after pumping pills, water, and bananas went to burn on leg presses at 310 3x reps, which for sure would have me cramping at 2AM like a jackknife. Worked.

So I got pills and when working out hard take 'em. Also a good diet helps. Potassium is in potato and sweet potato skins, magnesium is in fish, squash, beans and such. Lately at night if I'm feeling cramps I gobble Emergen-C electrolite fizzy drink powder, it works fast.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

is badder than you

Posted On:
    3/23/2013 3:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like everyone else has already said, water and potassium, and be proactive. Hydration in particular should be an ongoing thing rather than a pre-training thing.

Also, I learned the hard way that the worst thing to do for a seized calf is to try to stretch it out by putting weight on it. Ouch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    3/23/2013 9:09am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Coffee and training are a terrible combo imo, like a lot of stimulants not worth the weird symptoms.

You shut your mouth!

Like everyone said, potassium and hydration. I once had my calf seize up on me after a tournament and I fell down in great pain while my leg did the Harlem Shake.

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 4:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Coconut water is full of potassium. I find that if I drink it before a work out I stay much better hydrated than with anything else thus far.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    3/26/2013 2:31pm

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Coconut water is full of potassium. I find that if I drink it before a work out I stay much better hydrated than with anything else thus far.
    Coconut water is also a diuretic and is used as a natural laxative, so it has the potential to dehydrate you (as well as soften your stool).

Weak

Posted On:
    3/26/2013 11:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    my calf had completely locked up. I actually dropped to my ass and sat there trying not to whimper.?
    Props to you for the silent scream. I've dropped twice in front of teammates and writhed all over the mats. So much so that one of the guys felt the need to imitate me.

You're not overdoing it. It's what you didn't do right 24-48 hours beforehand (a.k.a all the time) that caught up with you. Hydrate, you don't need to chug down Gatorade but do ensure you replace what your body loses through sweating.

SCREW the bananas. It's not potassium you're missing, it's Zinc and Magnesium. Trust me on this one.

I've had the calf cramps since I was a teen running long distance and training, get it so often at night, jolts you awake with pain and have to scoot down and shove my foot against the bedboard to alleviate the cramp.
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Weak

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 12:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm surprised no one has said cancer yet. I must have been on Sociocide for too long.
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast