Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2013 6:08am

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Nick is also a shitty employee. If he worked for me, and said the same stuff about me, that he said about Dana and the UFC, I would fire him.
    yeah well I think if an employee earns you as much money like I assume Nick just did the UFC, you'll give him more leeway.
    also, it seems Dana has major respect for Nick, don't know why...

Posted On:
    3/18/2013 6:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkelon View Post
    yeah well I think if an employee earns you as much money like I assume Nick just did the UFC, you'll give him more leeway.
    Yeah, I think that's about the only thing that keeps him around. And we all know that Dana White is all about the money!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 4:19pm

Style: Muay Thai/Western Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's kind of fundamentally silly to proclaim any athlete as bad for any particular sport, outside of cheating/PED issues. Nick Diaz certainly won't make any fans out of those who already dislike MMA, but I really doubt a true "fan" of the sport is going to give up on the whole thing because of one fighters actions, no matter how heinous they might be. A personality flaw in 1/5000 of a population would be pretty poor grounds to pass judgement on anything, and that being said, if someone makes decisions like that do you really want them sitting next to you at an event anyway? The whole " good for the sport/bad for the sport" issue isn't even really the issue people are debating in these situations, it's whether the athlete is perceived as gaining fans for the sport. Sure more fans means more money, but more money isn't necessarily going to further the integrity or refinement of the sport. I mean it probably would. But not necessarily.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillson View Post
    I think it's kind of fundamentally silly to proclaim any athlete as bad for any particular sport, outside of cheating/PED issues.
    I generally agree, except that MMA is widely demonized by 24 hour news networks that are always trying to sell you the latest story of what to fear and hate. So, whenever someone does something "bad for the sport", its FAR more likely that it'll be published along with debates of whether the sport should even be legal, along with some quotes by dumb congressmen calling it "human cockfighting". I think its a widespread enough perception that real fighters should be doing their part to show that its a legitimate sport.

Posted On:
    3/22/2013 4:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And people are currently fighting to get MMA legal in a lot of areas. Those fights are a lot harder when you have people like Nick getting air and TV time, acting the way he does.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/24/2013 10:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can tell when he speaks that he definitely isn't all there, he must have suffered some severe and permanent head trauma in the past.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 2:59am

supporting member
     Style: Tang Soo Don't Retired

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmperorCesar View Post
    You can tell when he speaks that he definitely isn't all there, he must have suffered some severe and permanent head trauma in the past.
    Welcome to my world. Won't you come on in? I agree with your assessment. I do know a bit about head injury.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/25/2013 8:24am

Style: Muay Thai/Western Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about the head injury thing, since his brother seems like basically a skinnier version of the same person without the publicity. I would totally agree that they've been permanently fucked in some psychologically or emotionally developmental capacity. They remind me a lot of the kids who thought they were MADD tuffz when I was in junior high.

Posted On:
    3/27/2013 11:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Submission Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkelon View Post
    Maybe because similar crap comes out of both of their mouths?

Posted On:
    4/02/2013 11:42am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP has got all valid points. However, I still like Diaz, questionable public behavior and all. Is he bad for MMA? IMO yes but only in a "surfacey" way. Like McCain could use him as a poster child for his position on human cockfighting. For every guy like him in the UFC, you've got another Shane Carwin working civil engineer or Rich Franklin schoolteacher to show the other side.

I couldn't be more different than Nick, yet to me his appeal is the appeal of the underdog - coming up with poverty, a drug culture in a low-income high crime area, and a psych/mental disorder (ADHD) and probably more undiagnosed. I mean it's hard enough to do a press conference without something wrong in your head. Can you imagine what it would be like to try and do that knowing you have some issues and will probably say something f'ed up and everyone will laugh at you and ostracize you? No wonder the dude runs for the hills from press responsibilities.

To me he's real and I realize his reality is a bit f'd up and maybe not like others. But I'm cool with it. I think he's much better for MMA being real than Chael is with recycled Ric Flair lines from pro wrestling.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345