Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2013 2:21pm

Style: lazy

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    He's no better when he's on the medical marijuana. How many videos would you like me to produce to prove that point?
    Not arguing that point. I am pointing out though, that for a little while after quitting, the brain goes a bit haywire. Another thing to consider is... How much of a part does Dana's(?) Hype machine play in his speeches and persona? Any? All? None?
    I'm gonna go with none coz that's the most entertaining story.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2013 2:27pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look, in every aspect of sports the public wants to see the hero and they want to see the villain. However, a person can be the "villain" without being a complete douche-bag. Nick and Nate Diaz are disrespectful inside and outside of the cage (maybe not in every interview). I don't doubt their past was rough and full of strife, but they don't have to use it to harness the "bad guy" image. Nick is an excellent fighter and has a lot to offer. Would I bring my kids to train at his gym? Hell no. Would I take my kids to train at GSP's gym? Hell yes. Why? Professionalism. Neither Diaz brother know how to act as professionals. Is marijuana "wrong," maybe not. However, it is against the rules and a professional knows that. IF you want to play the game, play by the rules. Anyway, I hope to see a good fight (privately, I hope Diaz gets destroyed) but I want to see trash like this to cease.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2013 3:43pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But he does have to sell the "bad guy" image to play the game. They all have to , in rowdy Rhonda's words, "prostitute" the juicier chapters of their lives and play up to the required image.

Maybe that's one of the reasons he doesn't like to take part in the circus. I'm sure by this stage of his life he knows when to keep quiet, but his hand has been forced .... Or should I say his foot has been forced ( into his mouth.).
    One mans trash is another mans treasure ;)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2013 3:50pm

Style: Judo noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I kind of liked him in the Countdown show, but he is really not a guy who should be in front of a mic at a press conference. I know he has all kinds of social anxiety issues and the like (or so his camp has said at times) and I can't imagine a damn press conference would feature a fighter with fucking social anxiety in any sort of positive light.

I suspect he is indeed playing up the act (and that the UFC encourages this) to sell the fight, and I like him as a fighter. Its not helpful for the image of MMA as a skilled, technical sport, I agree. If it was still the sensationalist "NO HOLDS BARRED CAAAAAGE FIGHTING!!" days, he'd be perfect.
    Last edited by Krijgsman; 3/16/2013 4:05pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2013 4:46pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdempsey View Post
    But he does have to sell the "bad guy" image to play the game. They all have to , in rowdy Rhonda's words, "prostitute" the juicier chapters of their lives and play up to the required image.

Maybe that's one of the reasons he doesn't like to take part in the circus. I'm sure by this stage of his life he knows when to keep quiet, but his hand has been forced .... Or should I say his foot has been forced ( into his mouth.).
    Did you watch the interview?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2013 5:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only saw the first half of the press conference thing iIy, ran out of phone credt . I hope I can get a chance to see the fight.

Posted On:
    3/16/2013 10:26pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing survived Tyson being a rapist (but not a recluse) and general all-purpose lunatic. I have confidence MMA can survive Diaz being an inarticulate stoner and dickhead.

Personally, I don't care about fighter personalities. It's not wrestling. Never watch their interviews and am unaware of anything they say besides what people whine about on internet emssage boards. As usual, Fedor is my ideal: uttered like five words a year, still went in there to commit murder every time.

I DO think there's a major issue with Diaz, but that's Dana's fault for giving him an instant title shot after LOSING HIS LAST FIGHT, retiring from MMA and whining like a fucking ***** to anyone who'd care to listen. If anything's hurting MMA, it's the gifting of title shots to the undeserving based on how marketable they are.

See also: Sonnen, Chael.

Posted On:
    3/17/2013 2:11am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can see truth in the statement "Nick Diaz is bad for the public perception of MMA", but I disagree that Nick Diaz is bad for MMA. He's representative of a large section of the disenfranchised and how, if given the right tools, even a stoner from the wrong side of the tracks can do something in the sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    3/17/2013 2:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdempsey View Post

So we're accepting the notion that there must be some drama, some ****-talking, some weigh-in shenanigans, some good-guy-bad-guy cinema and so on? Such things are needed for pro MMA to get and/or retain enough of a following to prosper?

The bouts, by themselves, don't offer enough?

Fair enough. The economics of stupidity. P.T. Barnum wins again.
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 3/17/2013 3:04am at .

On hiatus

Posted On:
    3/17/2013 4:40am

supporting member
     Style: Getting fat.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, not all fighters are educated. All types of characters get in the cage. Most aren't choir boys or war veterans. Some are in fact cavemen.

In a time where we should be showing the general public that fighters are educated
    The general public does not need to be shown that, cause it's not true. But that's okay, a lot of the general public isn't educated either. Where do these fighters come from? The general public.

"Bad for MMA" as in politics? Well, we only need a handful of good boys on the front seat of the politics tourbus. And detractors will always be able to dig up some dirt anyway. As for Nick, his dirt is minute, he's not a PR disaster.

Nick KEEPS IT REAL. This includes not playing by the rules, sticking it to the man, double standards, hypocrisy, whining, blaming everyone for everything, acting like a child, mumbling gibberish, etc etc. He will not change, he will not play a role! This is exactly why we, the general public, are giving him so much attention. You don't have to like him or even respect him, but you will pay attention.

Diaz is the villain but...
    You're right, Diaz is not a good villian. It doesn't suit him. IMO the UFC promo department dropped the ball on this one. They should've gone with a 'tie+suit vs 2cool4school' angle.

Lastly, Nick didn't talk himself into a fight. It's unfair to compare him to Sonnen, who has inflated his popularity with his pro wrestling schtick. Nick's popularity has grown naturally. Which is to say, he isn't playing a character, HE KEEPS IT REAL. He was already getting the title shot after his Strikeforce run. Then KEPT IT REAL and got BJ Penn instead, beat him, made an even bigger name for himself. Then lost to Condit in a very close fight and now that Condit is out of the way and he sat out his bs weed suspension (SO REAL), he gets the title shot... arguably over Hendricks. But hey, blame GSP and UFC for making that pick.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast