230775 Bullies, 5661 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    3/15/2013 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

AoM: Don Draper's Dapper Judo

I find one can get a sick sort of kick reading self defence advice from any source that doesn't specialize in the subject, especially by browsing any accompanying discussions. This week, testicular pride blog The Art of Manliness brings us scans from a 1962 PopSci article on unarmed street-defence. Along with containing beautifully hand sketched diagrams of old school "street jujitsu" reminiscent of some of the better instructional books of the era (Feldenkrais anyone?), the article shows a slick way to keep one knee up when doing drop seoi, a classic hammerlock defence from a loose rnc, and of course the obligatory rapist choke defence. The real gold, however, follows at the bottom of the page. Some favourites:

I studied martial arts for 16 years and learned a bunch of live knife techniques [...] I would suggest stepping back so that you’re facing his knife while using your left hand to slow his momentum. Then slide your right foot forward while doing the grab and continue as described from there.

Judo’s awesome but it was created as a sport version of Jiu Jitsu. These days Judo emphasizes more throws than Jiu Jitsu does, but Judo is just not as practical for self defense.

Don’t forget that if you are attacked with a knife, expect to get stabbed.
    The person who wins a knife fight is the guy that bleeds out last.

The method for escaping a bear hug has two big flaws. 1) When you lower yourself, the attacker can easily slip his arms up and you’re now being choked. 2) When you lower yourself and start reaching for that leg, he can easily knee you in the balls.

Instead, reach up and grab both of his forearms, so he can’t choke you, then lower yourself and get one leg behind the guy. (your right behind his left, or your left behind his right.) Then, keeping both feet firmly on the ground, twist your body. Your thigh will trip him and he will end up on the ground on his back, while you should still be standing.

link: http://artofmanliness.com/2013/03/14...e-mad-men-era/

*I couldn't get a picture to upload, so instead, a video of some last century street jujitsu in action.

Posted On:
    3/16/2013 2:51am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love the Art of Manliness in general, but skip over anything involving martial arts, because invariably, the comments will make me flip my lid. Street vs. Sport, karate is t3h d34d7y, all the usual bullshido arguments.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2013 5:05am

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Twist your body?

hrnghrngrhgn ouch. I may be limber but I don't want to herniate anything by twisting my body while against someone potentially stronger than me.

Posted On:
    3/16/2013 5:35am

Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cap View Post
    Don’t forget that if you are attacked with a knife, expect to get stabbed.
    The person who wins a knife fight is the guy that bleeds out last.
    Who let a non-retard comment on that entry?
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Posted On:
    3/16/2013 10:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just when I thought it couldn't get any better:

Quote Originally Posted by Post #30
    you shouldnít try to move away from someone that is pullin your hair, especially if itís long enough for them to get a good grip. someone who is either strong enough, or escalated enough can scalp you.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/16/2013 10:38am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Of The West
    One could look at Aikido as an ever-evolving relative of Judo Ė redirecting your opponents energy rather than trying to match or overcoming it Ė combining with timing with knowledge of how the human body reacts to balance and physical stress.
    emphasis added.

Posted On:
    3/16/2013 10:53am

Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    emphasis added.
    "Evolve" doesn't mean "improve," so at least partial credit is due.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Posted On:
    3/16/2013 10:59am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    One could look at Aikido as an ever-evolving relative of Judo – redirecting your opponents energy rather than trying to match or overcoming it – combining with timing with knowledge of how the human body reacts to balance and physical stress.
    emphasis added.
    I don't entirely disagree with this. Many people believe evolution to be a process programmed to draw an organism towards the most perfect form possible, but this isn't so. It is instead a process by which random and accidental mutations and genetic changes within a population are passed down in the event that they are ideal for survival in their current environment (and thus the organisms having them getting laid more).

In this case, aikido is a randomly and accidentally mutated form of Judo, ideally suited for survival in its environment (the minds of larpers who have never had a real need to defend themselves and who are easily spooked by reality).

*edit: gatdammit ermghoti
    Last edited by The Cap; 3/16/2013 10:59am at . Reason: beaten to the punch

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/16/2013 11:04am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I stand by my belief that it was a stupid bumblefuck of a sentence.

Posted On:
    8/28/2013 12:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like they're at it again, only this time with a krav maga theme in a monthly article.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/0...trike-defense/

And today's favourites:

Quote Originally Posted by Post #3
    I enjoy Krav Magaw, but, I would rather learn how to box and just practice the basics for a good 400 hours.
    To which is replied:
    Quote Originally Posted by Post #4
    Boxing would be most fights occuring between young kids fighting for status. A ďstreet fightĒ would be soming seeking to harm and rob you, not impress you with their boxing skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Post #2
    Kinda wish I could go practice thisÖ Looking for fights kinda defeats the purpose of defending against them though. Plus, itís ungentlemanly.

Quote Originally Posted by Post #14
    In case you didnít see it before, Krav Maga was developed by the Israli military back in the creation of their nation. They use this as their primary martial art in war. Iím pretty sure if this didnít work, the IDF would find something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Post #18
    Really enjoyed the post! And to those who donít like Krav for different reasons, remember that itís more of a mindset, not a martial art. Most of the techniques come from other systems. The thing that set Krav apart from the others is the philosophy behind it.

Read up on it. Youíll see what I mean.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast