Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2013 3:36pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A Ninja Ex-Marine Captain Speaks: What It Means to Be a Warrior

Just saw this in my Facebook news feed, posted by a retired cop buddy who is a huge Krav Maga RBSD enthusiast.

What do you guys think of this?

I'm just gonna leave this here....

http://lifecoachesblog.com/2008/02/2...-be-a-warrior/

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/01/2013 4:42pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lukerawks View Post
    Just saw this in my Facebook news feed, posted by a retired cop buddy who is a huge Krav Maga RBSD enthusiast.

What do you guys think of this?

I'm just gonna leave this here....

http://lifecoachesblog.com/2008/02/2...-be-a-warrior/
    Why don't you tell us what you think.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2013 5:35pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    Why don't you tell us what you think.
    I feel a lot safer knowing that ninjas aren't sizing me up, rather, they're protecting me wherever I go. Now I know I can pick a fight with pretty much anyone, cause ninjas totally have my back if things get out of hand.

...in all seriousness, it's great to have a positive attitude and all, but isn't this a little dramatic when it comes to training martial arts? Am I doing the world a disservice by trying to lose weight and compete? Am I a coward for not getting involved in the affairs of others? Is it my duty to be a protector in a first world country? Not trying to sound douchey, but isn't this one of the biggest problems with dead martial arts and the messiah complex they perpetuate?

I don't know....is that the responsibility that's implied with MA expertise? Are MAs protectors, athletes, or both? Is this a fantasy from the RBSD world, or something that's universal whether your training is real or bullshido?

I was just interested in the general consensus here....thought it would be a good Friday thread....not trying to be (too) snarky in posting that, just kinda hit a weird vibe...

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/01/2013 5:42pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that there are plenty of martial artists with such a creed that massively overestimate their justice-administering abilities.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2013 11:55pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I were going to be a ninja I guess I'd want to be a ninja superhero. And I will! ... As soon as I get me some adamantium claws and- more importantly- that crazy healing ability. Because I'm thinking ninja superheroes get their asses shot up quite a bit.

Of course even with the powers I doubt I'd look very fetching in spandex.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2013 3:23am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hoban uses an effective picture (scroll to the New Years Message of 2007) to show the difference between someone training in martial arts and warriorship.

The person on the left has just won a competitive martial arts fight, while the person on the right is Lance Corporal Tyler Troyer, who was killed by a sniper as he was defending that kids village.
    Does anyone else find this funny, in a rather morbid way? As in, look at this guy, he's the real deal. Also, he's dead now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2013 7:14am

Style: 空手/HNIR

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does it mean to be a warrior?
    Older readers will know Im a practitioner of Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu.
    This is where I stopped reading, you know why? Because I knew a massive wall of text would follow with little content. As is usual with a lot of these 'practitioners'.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    3/02/2013 8:09am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lukerawks View Post
    Am I a coward for not getting involved in the affairs of others? Is it my duty to be a protector in a first world country?
    No and No.

This Warrior Creed thing has its place; when Dr. Humphrey was an on-duty Marine fighting for his country, it applied. He was obligated to support and defend the Constitution, and to protect this country from her enemies. Although I respect the fact that he seems to enjoy helping people, there is no obligation to do so.

People train in martial arts for a variety of reasons and some delude themselves into believing they are super heroes. The really sad part in this story is Jack Hoban has a masters degree in something, yet still believes in ninjers.

Posted On:
    3/02/2013 11:20am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This Jack Hoban thing goes back to 1988.

Let me play Devils Advocate for a moment and say that I don't explicitly get "I'm a Ninja Guardian Angel and you can be too..." out of that article. What it may be implicitly stating could be another matter, but that's hard to judge. I'd have to hear/see what he was being told by his "Ninja Master".

If all that the author is saying is that this "code" can be useful in preventing you from being a douche I have little issue with it. If the message is simply about changing your frame of mind vs actually getting involved in others problems w/o thinking about it I have nothing to criticize. Since the author wrote:

(I think every martial artist has had a grandiose movie-like fantasy of beating down every badass in the room. Heck, I know I’ve had a few.)

I give him the benefit of the doubt on that...for now.

Don't forget that "protecting" others doesn't necessarily mean jumping into a fist fight. Calling 911, telling the people next to you to clear out (as you do too) because you think the guy in the bar with the gun you saw in his waist band may be sizing up the joint for a robbery, can all be "protecting" others too.

I didn't catch any implication that you had to be a martial artist for this to apply. The section comparing the MMA fighter and a Marine sort of redeems the authors opinion IMO. He says that the Marine (who was KIA) was the "Warrior". Note he didn't say that the Marine was a Martial Arts practiconer, or that MA even had to be part of the equation.

Where I think these martial artists go off the rails is when they equate any skill with being a "Warrior". H2H, firearms, etc..are only tools and skills. An IPSC shooter thinking that he/she is a "Warrior", SEAL, SWAT Officer, etc is the same as a Martial Artist thinking they can be Batman. My pistol belt doesn't make me a Cop. And my overweight co-worker who can barely qualify with his pistol is no less of a Cop than I am...he could wind up dead chasing a robbery suspect doing his duty just as easily as I could and should be honored for his sacrifice just as much regardless of his skill level.

Of course the need/utility of thinking you are a "Warrior" is the question. If a soldier, cop...heck even a fireman/EMT wants to use it to help them to go go into dangerous situations as part of their job that's one thing. Using it as a "self-improvement" meme for any Tom, Dick or Harry is another. But that's just my take on the subject.
    Last edited by tgace; 3/02/2013 11:30am at .

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    3/02/2013 4:50pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    Does anyone else find this funny, in a rather morbid way? As in, look at this guy, he's the real deal. Also, he's dead now.
    "Winning a martial arts competition isn't warriorship, but god damn if being the blade on the end of the spear of colonialism is!"

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children
Page 1 of 32 1 234511 ... LastLast