Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/15/2013 8:51am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have read your article and chose this school based on a review found here

I pay $75 for the first month which is unlimited classes (including Yoga and conditioning workouts). After the first month it is $125 per month

I like the conditioning ( Tabata circuits, kettlebells, agility ladders, etc..) so I wanted to take those classes and then do a MA training class after

I was confused with the "alive" training as the Jun Fan classes use boxing gloves and focus mitts so it seemed to have some resistance

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/15/2013 9:01am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a pretty good place. I think $125 is a little steep, but I train in a garage.

"Aliveness" refers to practice utilizing a resisting partner in an unchoreographed way. Boxing gloves and focus mitts are often a part of live training, but they are also used in cardio kickboxing in ways where they provide resistance but in a very predictible way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2013 9:08am

Style: being a fatty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Whom View Post
    I have read your article and chose this school based on a review found here
    Which school? Which review?

I was confused with the "alive" training as the Jun Fan classes use boxing gloves and focus mitts so it seemed to have some resistance
    Gloves and mitts don't translate directly to aliveness. Since you've done MA for a few months, you don't need to check out the classes anymore. Instead, watch Matt Thornton's examples with focus mitts and boxing gloves in that video that were and were not alive. Then compare it to what you do in your school.

Aliveness really comes from sparring, rolling, or competing. That doesn't mean struggling 100% of the time, but at least somewhat often.

Anywho, make sure it's fun for you. That's the main thing, at least in my humble opinion.

Posted On:
    3/15/2013 9:28am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah ok

So a potential schedule would look like this

M
    BJJ
    Muay Thai

T
    Savate
    CSX wrestling

W
    Muay Thai
    BJJ

This should be all the ALIVE classes which involve sparring, grappling, etc...

Posted On:
    3/15/2013 9:39am

Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those are all good arts, but, speaking as an old newb myself, you'll really want to zero in on a striking art and a grappling art. MT/savate and BJJ/sub wrestling aren't super different, but why not get a basis in one art from each range, and add on later? It's enough trouble having different instructors in the same school in the same art, ler alone toggling between the techniques, philosophies and rulesets of different arts. If you simply have available time unfilled with classes, do conditioning.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2013 9:49am

Style: being a fatty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Those are all good arts, but, speaking as an old newb myself, you'll really want to zero in on a striking art and a grappling art. MT/savate and BJJ/sub wrestling aren't super different, but why not get a basis in one art from each range, and add on later? It's enough trouble having different instructors in the same school in the same art, ler alone toggling between the techniques, philosophies and rulesets of different arts. If you simply have available time unfilled with classes, do conditioning.
    Listen to this lovely douche. He knows what he's talking about.

Posted On:
    3/15/2013 9:52am

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to get that straight, you are planning on doing two classes of something completely different on the same day?

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    3/15/2013 11:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello Dr Whom,

From the classes that you summed up (BJJ, CSW, Savate, Muay thai, Jun fan and FMA), I suspect that the school is part of "The Family" (Guro Dan Inosanto and affiliated schools) network.

I used to train Muay thai, some Generic Muay Boran (new created style) and some Krabi Krabong in one of "The Family" schools here in Belgium.

Would you be so kind to post the complete schedule of the school, because for some reason all the hours that you post fall in Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
    That's going to be hard to train 3 days in a row and then 4 days nothing.

About "aliveness", while I agree with Matt Thornton on it and it is an integral part of learning striking and grappling arts.
    You still have to take into considering that most weapon based arts are taught and trained the majority of the time through drills with only a minimum of sparring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Posted On:
    3/15/2013 11:21am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the responses

Yes this is an Inosanto school

I will list my schedule in the classes I can attend as there are advanced classes that I need a higher ranking to attend

Monday
    5:30-6:30 Conditioning (Some type of circuit workout that soaks my uniform with sweat)
    6:30-7:30 Jun Fan
    6:30-7:30 BJJ
    7:30-8:30 Muay Thai Fundamentals
    7:30-8:30 FMA Panuntakan

Tuesday
    5:30-6:30 Conditioning (Some type of circuit workout that soaks my uniform with sweat)
    6:30-7:30 Savate (beginners)
    6:30-7:30 10th Planet
    6:30-7:30 Yoga
    7:30-8:30 CSX Wrestling

Monday
    6:30-7:30 Jun Fan
    6:30-7:30 10th Planet
    6:30-7:30 Muay Thai Fundamentals
    7:30-8:30 FMA Kali Sticks
    7:30-8:30 BJJ 101

Thursday
    5:30-6:30 Conditioning
    6:30-7:30 Yoga
    There is also advanced Savate and CSX that I need to place into

Saturday
    9:00-10:00 Conditioning
    10:00-11:00 Focus Mitts

I would like to go at least 4 days (every Saturday). Thursdays are usually tougher for me so I like to go MTW

My current fitness level will let me attempt the conditioning class and a MA class as long as it is not Muay Thai

Let me know what you guys think

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/15/2013 11:28am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs View Post
    About "aliveness", while I agree with Matt Thornton on it and it is an integral part of learning striking and grappling arts.
    You still have to take into considering that most weapon based arts are taught and trained the majority of the time through drills with only a minimum of sparring.
    Good weapon drilling should have elements of aliveness even if its not free sparring though.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast