222377 Bullies, 4217 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2013 5:22pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Not investigation yet, need advice

So, the short version of the long story I'm about to post is that a former student at our gym and an instructor we know pretty well broke off and started an academy about a mile away from us. On the website of their new gym are a few outright lies and lots of deliberately misleading but not directly false information about their credentials.

There are a couple of reasons why this is not quite an investigation yet even though I just said I know for a fact there are lies and deliberately misleading credentials listed on their website:

1. My coach is one of the only people in New York who has no rivalries or disputes with anyone else in the MA community. And, while he is plenty pissed off that a former student would put himself into direct competition with us and then falsely bolster his credentials, he does not want to risk getting involved in an online feud, especially because an outside instructor they hired to teach at their academy is legit and exactly who he says he is, and my coach does not want to even create the appearance that he is assailing the one legit coach along with the two liars.

In deference to my coach, I am not naming names in this thread.

2. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a little personal. My former teammate left on bad terms with me. Some of the things I'm about to mention aren't so much breaches in ethics as they are reasons why I would really want this jerkhole to get his comeuppance.

3. Because the PKF just does not keep records of their fights, the eye-witness accounts of myself, my coach, and my teammates are the only evidence that some of the things said in the new gym's website are lies. And, as per section 1, I'm not naming names so my testimony is worthless from an investigation standpoint.

Some relevant details:

So, as I said, my former teammate, another instructor with a bolstered record (but at least he can actually fight), and a completely legit BJJ coach they suckered in to a deal started an academy down the street from ours. While the legit BJJ coach teaches the adult BJJ classes, they left my former teammate to teach the kids BJJ classes.

My former teammate has no rank in BJJ nor experience training BJJ, beyond what he might have gotten from the legit guy in the few weeks they have known each other. The last time I saw my former teammate roll he was easily overpowered by everyone and tapped to side control. So, he has no business teaching kids BJJ. But he has done several things to act as if he had a BJJ rank without out right making the false claim:

There is a picture of him on facebook with a gi on posing in a blue belt. I asked him what the blue belt was for and a mutual friend said my former teammate was just posing for the picture on the website where they sell the gi. The mutual friend then added that my former teammate has been practicing and that we should roll. I said any time, and they know where to find me. Then my former teammate unfriended and blocked me. I found out later that he deleted any mention of the belt being fake and the part where I accepted the quasi-challenge.

My former teammate also claims on his gym's website to have a medical background and that he is experienced in rehabilitating athletes with injuries. I imagine this claim is to make parents feel safer, like he doubles as medical staff. In actuality he used to teach a class for students studying to be medical assistants. My former teammate was asked to resign from that post after grossly mishandling a situation where one of his students had a seizure.

My former teammate also fudges his kickboxing record, but just a little. He marks himself at 5-3 rather than the actual 4-4. But, again, there is a lot of deliberate misleading. He proudly displays his PKF title, but neglects to mention that the title fight was given to him because he was friends with the headliner. My former teammate's actual opponent no-showed to the fight and he won the PKF Muay Thai title from a guy with no fights who boasted "some wrestling experience." The guy was a friend of one of the other fighters and may or may not have started drinking before he was approached to fight my teammate.

The other owner also fudged a couple of things, but it's the same case where there is just an attempt to be misleading with minimal down-right lies.

I was ignoring this until yesterday, when my former teammate and his business partner started texting my coach, asking for private lessons, in spite of the fact that they would clearly add anything they learned to their own competing curriculum, only done worse.

I've known my coach for nearly ten years and this is the closest to angry I'd ever seen him. Admittedly that doesn't seem like a big deal but my coach is so laid back that I was angered by proxy.

I could go on forever about other bullshit this guy has pulled over the years but it's not all relevant. I just feel there should be some kind of response or recourse to this. Looking for advice.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    3/15/2013 9:35pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PM me if you need assistance with a formal write up or help with anything
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2013 9:54pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All around a crappy situation. Just keep blowing off steam here and continue taking your lead from your coach...he might come around to a more 'cathartic' course of action. Which ever way it goes, I (and others I suspect) got to respect the respect (and restraint) you're showing.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/16/2013 5:41am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update: There is now another picture on facebook of the three instructor's posing in gis. The legit brown belt is in the middle. The one instructor who fudged a little stuff is to the right wearing a white belt. And my former teammate is to the left wearing that same fucking blue belt.

I don't know if the legit instructor actually just gave him one after the fake one mentioned in the original post. If so, it's only been a month between the two incidents. Any attempt to look into it, myself, would definitely violate the policy of non-involvement. Plus my former teammate is well aware at how incensed I am at him.

But if someone were to hypothetically call and ask about the instructors without my direction or sanctioning....

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    3/16/2013 6:16am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ensure you screen cap all this stuff please and post it in the thread
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    3/16/2013 7:08am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since there is not picture of him presumably ever being belted in BJJ (because he wasn't) you are going to need to recruit someone to send the gym owner an email asking if "Joe" is a blue belt in BJJ. If that doesn't work, sending a soccer mom type to pitch the question to them after class would work, but that person needs to be willing to use their real name since it will be a he said, she said situation.

Posted On:
    3/16/2013 7:12am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also if he's claiming rehabilitation as a skill and is not a massage therapist, PT, ect you could screencap the claim and then collect the inquiry letters from various NY liciensing agencies, not a CMA, a LPN, RN, Physical Therapist, ect.